never bring bananas in a boat

I told her what bad luck it is and she didn’t believe me

does anyone else know about the banana curse
Thanks

greg

ps

motor went well 👍apart from propeller stuffing up

• Like 1

It has some basis of truth ... but by and large is a myth. 

Many on FR swear by NO bananas on boat, others (me included) have no issue ... some have even gone to the point of trolling  a banana skin and hooking up to prove their point of view.  So each to his own.....

Now for the truth part - as I understand it:

Apparently in the days of sailing and steam boats (when cross ocean journeys could take weeks or months depending on prevailing winds and currents), bananas like today were a lucrative and sought after commodity. However, bananas were also highly perishable - they were the first to ripen and in the process would set of the rest of the valuable cargo.

So many merchants chose to transport this highly perishable good separately to the rest of their main cargo - and because the transport it self was risky the bananas were often loaded onto cheaper cargo vessels - ie second rate, worse for wear, beyond use by date. Being less seaworthy, these boats were more likely to succumb to the perils of any ocean crossing ... but when a ship disappeared, the first question asked was what was the cargo (BANANAS !) and no one bothered to ask about the sea worthiness of the boat... hence the much maligned banana became the nautical symbol for bad luck, because according to statistics boats carrying bananas were more likely to go down.

Cheers Zoran :banana::banana::banana:

PS - sorry to hear you had boat issues !!!!  and glad it was purring for a while. Consider it a teething problem. 

Edited by zmk1962
content
  • Like 5

I think that the two rumors are that bananas give of a gas that can catch fire nd explode

or the gas  causes the other fruit that they are with to ripen too fast and spoil.

I have had bananas on boats before and found that the fishing got better when I binned them

30 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

It has some basis of truth ... but by and large is a myth. 

Many on FR swear by NO bananas on boat, others (me included) have no issue ... some have even gone to the point of trolling  a banana skin and hooking up to prove their point of view.  So each to his own.....

Now for the truth part - as I understand it:

Apparently in the days of sailing and steam boats (when cross ocean journeys could take weeks or months depending on prevailing winds and currents), bananas like today were a lucrative and sought after commodity. However, bananas were also highly perishable - they were the first to ripen and in the process would set of the rest of the valuable cargo.

So many merchants chose to transport this highly perishable good separately to the rest of their main cargo - and because the transport it self was risky the bananas were often loaded onto cheaper cargo vessels - ie second rate, worse for wear, beyond use by date. Being less seaworthy, these boats were more likely to succumb to the perils of any ocean crossing ... but when a ship disappeared, the first question asked was what was the cargo (BANANAS !) and no one bothered to ask about the sea worthiness of the boat... hence the much maligned banana became the nautical symbol for bad luck, because according to statistics boats carrying bananas were more likely to go down.

Cheers Zoran :banana::banana::banana:

PS - sorry to hear you had boat issues !!!!  and glad it was purring for a while. Consider it a teething problem. 

I was only reading about the history on the whole bad luck banana thing recently & you hit the nail on the head Zoran, from history the majority of boats that they would only let carry bananas were generally the worst ships in the fleet & usually the 1st lost at sea so that's where it sticks, nothing to do with fishing though but more about the stigma or karma.

• Like 1

Old old myth   lots of gamefishers would throw u over the side if you pulled out a nana   but   i rigged one  a banana skin over a bonito and skipped it  for a striped marlin bout 90 kgs   dont bother me if nanas on boat  caught big reds while eating one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Old old myth   lots of gamefishers would throw u over the side if you pulled out a nana   but   i rigged one  a banana skin over a bonito and skipped it  for a striped marlin bout 90 kgs   dont bother me if nanas on boat  caught big reds while eating one

There it is !
I knew I read it somewhere - must have been one of your posts Rick. 
cheers Z 

Bananas give off a gas as they ripen that can ripen other fruit and veges stored with it too quickly and spoil it. So does avocado. I hadn’t heard about bananas being carried on lower quality boats and thus more likely to be shipwrecked or whatever but it’s plausible. Possibly goes back further than that, though, when bananas were stored onboard with other produce and it went off and the crew got sick, so then they started carrying bananas in separate, cheaper boats? My wife loves bananas. She doesn’t fish with me often but when she does, she sometimes brings a banana or two. It doesn’t seem to affect her fishing though, as she’ll often out fish me on the day! 🤷‍♂️Of course, I claim that I’ve focussed on putting her onto fish as it’s not all about me! 😂 I only let her bring bananas aboard in the Bay, though, not offshore, just in case of a banana generated breakdown! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Bananas give off a gas as they ripen that can ripen other fruit and veges stored with it

Yes... the gas is ethylene - produced by the conversion of sugars and starches. Ethylene is also highly flammable and and can cause a number of symptoms if breathed in - which supports the crew got sick statement as well. 

So in essence .... we do not recommend taking a crate of bananas on the boat - especially if you are a smoker. But one or two in the lunchbox are aok .... and if you run out of bait - Rick has a way to rig them as bait ! 

FR does it again.

What fruit or veg do we discuss next?

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What about oranges I heard that fish won’t touch your bait if you have peeled an orange ?also

Good news

gear selector shaft came apart halfway down

$50 to fix and I pick it up this afternoon 

and I still shiver at the mention of bananas on boats 😂

• Like 1

Awesome ... simple fix... hope the motor gremlins are all behind you. 

Now re ORANGES or LEMONS .... Don't you dare bring any citrus oil anywhere near my bait board, fishing gear or onboard when fishing ..... clear enuff? 😡 🤯  🤬  😤 

Cheers Zoran

Ok zoran definitely no citrus 😂

the mechanic said when I picked up the boat engine

Its around a 1982 or 1983 build and there was a small plastic tube that attaches both ends of the gear selector ,it was missing he rigged up a quick repair but the actual part has to be order from Johnson in the US Can’t get one 

when he gets a price with postage he will let me know I will give him my visa number and it will get sent

i told him if he does no good ,give Arizona outboards on the central coast a call and see what they have