Nelson Bay breakwall

RU4REEL

G’day fishraiders

So I had a quick session down at the breakwall on Wednesday evening with some prawns and my Penn 7500ss. After zero bites for some time, I decided to lighten the weight and bang, I was on to a decent fat Bream. I usually fish Bream with a very light rig but on this occasion I was just wanting to try out the heavy set up. I have to say that this Penn is a beast and the Bream couldn’t match it with the power of a heavy reel. 

Anyway, I estimated he was around 29-30cm and released him on the inside of the wall to make sure those pesky gulls didn’t try and swipe him 👍

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RU4REEL said:

G’day fishraiders

So I had a quick session down at the breakwall on Wednesday evening with some prawns and my Penn 7500ss. After zero bites for some time, I decided to lighten the weight and bang, I was on to a decent fat Bream. I usually fish Bream with a very light rig but on this occasion I was just wanting to try out the heavy set up. I have to say that this Penn is a beast and the Bream couldn’t match it with the power of a heavy reel. 

Anyway, I estimated he was around 29-30cm and released him on the inside of the wall to make sure those pesky gulls didn’t try and swipe him 👍

Nice work. In my opinion theres no fun in skull dragging bream in with a size 7500 reel!!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, Berleyguts said:

No sinker or just a pea sized sinker straight to the hook and about 4lb leader is the way to go for those bream. 😉

Can i ask, in this set up are you using a swivel at end of leader or none at all and just a knot joining leader to main line??

(without swivel would the line twist)

On 11/2/2020 at 12:23 PM, arty9 said:

Can i ask, in this set up are you using a swivel at end of leader or none at all and just a knot joining leader to main line??

(without swivel would the line twist)

I don’t use a swivel. I just run the sinker (if needed) straight to the hook. I often prefer to fish mono straight through but if you’re using braid, tie the leader on with a FG knot. Never had much of an issue with line twist... cast up current, maintain contact by winding in the slack as it comes back towards you then wind in at your getting rather than back against the current. Or, walk along the wall with it. 😉

• Like 1