Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out around mid arvo on Friday with my fishing mate, out past the bombie. A nice drift at first, pulled up a couple of flatties, then the wind picked up from the S/E. Not forecast to do that, but made the drift a bit faster. Eventually had enough flatties, and a nice flounder at 35cm. Caught a few spikeys and used them as strip bait. One tiger amongst the blue spots.

We then headed to one of his reef spots and anchored before sunset. Berleyed up and it was pike, slimies and yakkas, nothing else. I put out a live yakka, but it just had swimming practice for some time. As last light was fading, my last cast produced the tailor, but my mate wanted to head home, so we packed it in.

fish.jpeg.271_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Good stuff Yowie. Nice eating there. The weather has kept me in but now you have me inspired to take the next reasonable day and head out. 
cheers Zoran 

Thank you. Trying to find a good day may be a little way off, due to predictions of wind and swell. My mate and I knew it would be a good day out on Friday, so we didn't need to be asked to go fishing.

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Good haul there Yowie, not often one can get to knock off a couple of good fillets from a flounder 😎

The fillets were rather chunky. I don't fillet flounder like a normal fish, that is, by running the knife straight down the backbone. Too much meat is lost and left on the backbone.

I cut the skin around the fins and behind the head, then use a round bladed knife (that is a round point rather than a straight-to-the-tip sharp point) and gradually slice the meat away from the backbone to remove just about all of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jot said:

flounder ...just dust with flour whole and very shallow pan fry

Jim...

I've done that before, but these fillets are good to go and won't take as long to cook as a whole fish.