Cost of painting a 4m boat

kanTec

Greeting Raiders...

I hope someone has recently got a tinnie painted and can share how much it costed.

I found a couple of nice boats (3.8m and 4m) for sale but they are unpainted and wanted to factor that in the price. I think painting a boat is more like restoring it to near new condition (after rewiring, carpet... of course :)

Cheers

17 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Depends on a fewthings...

Do you already have compressor, hose, spray gun?

You will probably have to sand and or paint remove, the current surface, plus any touch ups with putty first. 

Amy particular colour? That can cost more. 

I'd highly suggest two pack paint, get a good breathing mask, can be done at home but try to limit paint time due to fumes. 

1ltr paint might cover 10m2 but allow extra paint. 

Only boat I've done recently is my mini boat and that needed top and bottom hulls done. It's only 9 foot long so I used 1ltre on bottom but needed about 1.2 ltr for top hull. So that 2 tins I bought for top but one for the bottom. But I'm going to have to buy another tin soon for the bottom for touch ups , but will not use all the paint....

You need to allow cost of thinners as well.

I think paint, undercoat, thinners set me back about $500-$600, not including cost of sand paper, putty, etc. 

I have a compressor and hose, 2 guns cost me $ 140 , cheap ones, a 500ml size for main painting and a 100ml size for smaller areas. 

That's a bit of an idea. 

I don't have the compressor or tools, and honestly I tried spray paint in the past I did a horrible job. 

So assuming it's 500sh material, if I do the prep work, a professional painter might charge sub $1000 just to put the magic touch of spraying it. I might even reach out to one and ask!

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Just wondering why you want to paint it at all if its unpainted??

Much easier to look after imo.

If I had an unpainted alloy boat I'd be more looking at a wrap over painting but each to their own!

I thought paint is more of a permanent job vs wrap might peel off or easily tear when rubbing on edges. But I might be wrong as I have never touched it. An option to consider though. 

Thanks gents !

After a lot of elbow grease to sand back surface you will need an etch primer, 2 ltrs about $80 paint can cost anything depending on what you use, personally after spraying cars for a living for several years I would just go for an automotive lacquer 2 ltrs around $100 then clear another $100, then there is the thinners 4-6 ltrs $45. Allow about $30 for sand paper, tack clothes etc.

That is for spraying which you have said you don't like doing.

Brushing OR roller generally uses more paint as it goes on thicker.

Frank

"" if I do the prep work, a professional painter might charge sub $1000 just to put the magic touch of spraying it. I might even reach out to one and ask! ""

You will find it very hard if not impossible to find an experienced painter to do this . As a job is only ever as good as the prep work, and tradies, experienced painters won't take the risk of a job blowing up due to slack prep work.

Frank

1 minute ago, frankS said:

"" if I do the prep work, a professional painter might charge sub $1000 just to put the magic touch of spraying it. I might even reach out to one and ask! ""

You will find it very hard if not impossible to find an experienced painter to do this . As a job is only ever as good as the prep work, and tradies, experienced painters won't take the risk of a job blowing up due to slack prep work.

Frank

About 7 years ago I got quoted $2000 for my 13.9ft quintrex, that was bead/sand blasted becasue it is already painted, good quality primer & 2pac like Norglass, clear coat etc.

Would have to imagine it would be more now.

Mate I have painted a couple of tinnies lately and is not that difficult if you can use a spray gun. Ideally you need to remove all the old paint by sanding I find the orbital palm sander the best and the rest by hand .

Normally 80 or 120 grit sand paper will do the job. Once you have got it sanded wash it down with aryclic lacquer thinners on a rag to remove any contaminants on the surface.

Then you need apply an aluminium etch primer which will be a thin coating this grips to the aluminium and provides key for the top coats . It will have its own thinner for cleaning up and thin the primer if you need to. Primer dries pretty guickly and can be recoated in around 4 hours. Once the primer is dry then give it a light hand sand with a 1200 wet and dry sand paper to smoothe off the slight texture the primer will give the surface .

After the primer then spray apply 3 to 4 coats of acrylic lacquer in the colour you want. 
When spraying the top coat just spray light dust coats slowly building up the finish which should eliminate any runs.

I use paints from a company called EVIC Paints at Williamson Rd ,Ingleburn if you give them a call they can help you with what you need.

You get a lot of satisfaction out of having a go at doing yourself.

if you need any tips happy to help.

The Skipper

2F5AF451-D86C-45A2-83E7-83C7C0D0DF82.jpeg

F679CE48-94E8-4373-BDA5-BB06705390CB.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the skipper said:

Mate I have painted a couple of tinnies lately and is not that difficult if you can use a spray gun. Ideally you need to remove all the old paint by sanding I find the orbital palm sander the best and the rest by hand .

Normally 80 or 120 grit sand paper will do the job. Once you have got it sanded wash it down with aryclic lacquer thinners on a rag to remove any contaminants on the surface.

Then you need apply an aluminium etch primer which will be a thin coating this grips to the aluminium and provides key for the top coats . It will have its own thinner for cleaning up and thin the primer if you need to. Primer dries pretty guickly and can be recoated in around 4 hours. Once the primer is dry then give it a light hand sand with a 1200 wet and dry sand paper to smoothe off the slight texture the primer will give the surface .

After the primer then spray apply 3 to 4 coats of acrylic lacquer in the colour you want. 
When spraying the top coat just spray light dust coats slowly building up the finish which should eliminate any runs.

I use paints from a company called EVIC Paints at Williamson Rd ,Ingleburn if you give them a call they can help you with what you need.

You get a lot of satisfaction out of having a go at doing yourself.

The Skipper

2F5AF451-D86C-45A2-83E7-83C7C0D0DF82.jpeg

F679CE48-94E8-4373-BDA5-BB06705390CB.jpeg

Looks like a nice job Skipper.

How did you paint the underside, on the trailer??

On 11/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, frankS said:

I have a friend who paint cars, might accept to spray for it me  (hopefully)

On 11/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, the skipper said:

cheers mate... appreciated ! The job you have done looks fabulous, well done

On 11/1/2020 at 4:37 PM, Fab1 said:

Best paint or wrap on any tinny you can have imho.

I don't mind bare tinnies, it's just factoring the paint into the price, I'm shopping at the moment. depending the boat year/size, I'll be factoring $1500-$2000 into the price comparison.

Cheers