Never lose a trailer winch again

Wokatok

Hey all just bought a new winch and have moved from a fixed handle to removable 

I've had one before and mates have left in on and resulting in it being lost 

Sid some research and here's the solution 

Place a circular magnet in the handle hole 

A pack of magnets from bunnings were $9 and they have plenty of grunt 

That way if someone leaves it on ut won't fall. 

Plan is still to remove

18mm magnet fits the ark winch handle

How that helps someone 

20201102_062839.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I changed boats the new one had the removable handle with three gears.    As soon as I saw it I said to the dealer  you better throw another handle in!  Sure enough over the first year I did lose a few but none since.   I keep a spare in the boat with some bung plugs, wire cutters first aid kit etc. 

Good tip I like it.  

I did have a couple of spares I have picked up on highway and keep one in car boot.  Gave 1 away a couple of weeks ago when bloke was stuck on ramp after he left his on trailer and someone pinched it.  Be careful as magnet wont stop it being half inched.  Ron

Great idea ! 
I lost the handle on a new winch on its second trip and i now keep a spare in the back of my car .

I don’t know if it fell off driving to park my car or some mongrel knocked it off  and i also keep spare shackles for the trailer chain for this reason ! 

Fortunately for me i had a wheel brace that had the right size socket to fit the winch -bloody slow going but it got the boat on the trailer !

I still want to try a battery drill in low gear with a socket in the chuck to wind the winch over  - lazy bugger i am !

2 hours ago, Mullatt said:

Nowhere is safe these days unfortunately. Sad reflection how the world has gone.

Its funny, or not really how quickly things change. We now have one of the biggest Woolworths stores in the country, recently opened Aldi and one of those big alcohol stores.

You notice at the ramp these days how the friendliness has gone, its almost like everyone is ready for a punch up now.

17 hours ago, JonD said:

Its funny, or not really how quickly things change. We now have one of the biggest Woolworths stores in the country, recently opened Aldi and one of those big alcohol stores.

You notice at the ramp these days how the friendliness has gone, its almost like everyone is ready for a punch up now.

We were down your way a few weeks back and saw the new shops, very impressive! Its a shame that coastal places, like Narooma are going the same way as the big cities hey. Seems that half the population these days are looking for a punch up☹️

• Like 1