Electric winches on boat trailers

The Rev

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about upgrading the winch on my boat trailer to an electric one that comes with a remote to operate it.  Was wondering the pro's and con's for them from any users?  I currently have a manual winch for my Quintrex Renegade 4.2 M tinnie, that as I get older, takes a bit of effort to wind the boat on with.  Thoughts? 

The Rev (Bruce)

• Like 1

If you are a bit of a handyman it is not difficult to mount a starter motor to drive a manual winch.  I have done about 8, usually Jarrett winches.  THe mod still leavers the manual winding option untouched.

THese will pull up a 20+ ft fibre glass boat with no difficulty---- and damned quick too.  Very good for beach retrieves.

As I'm in Adelaide I cant make you one... but happy to explain it all.

A small commercial one will likely be cheaper.

Be careful of wireless remote controls.....  they have a tendancy to get wet when you forget they are in your pocket.!!

Its very simple to arrange a cord down either side of the boat to activate the winch.

I have always been amazed at how slow leci winches are and thought why would you bother?  I have always taken some pride in being quicker getting boat in and out single handed than most crews.  Im mid 70s, far from fit with a 5.6 meter Quinnie with 90hp Honda and have no problem winching her onto trailer single handed.  Although I must admit that I have lately been swinging to driving her onto the trailer after fitting a boat-catch.

My tips for easy launching and winching are as follows.  1. Get rid of galvanized roller axles and replace with home made stainless ones.  You wont believe how much easier it will roll off and on.  2. Don't put trailer too far into the water to retrieve . The keel should rest on last roller, not float over it. 3. Get a 3 speed winch ( preferably a Jarret) and winch boat quickly on fast 1 to 1 cog as far as you can do it with ease (usually over half way), then change to slower speed to finish without straining.  You may be happier with a power winch but I suggest you try driving on first and what ever way you go consider those stainless axles.  Ron 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, dmck said:

If you are a bit of a handyman it is not difficult to mount a starter motor to drive a manual winch.  I have done about 8, usually Jarrett winches.  THe mod still leavers the manual winding option untouched.

THese will pull up a 20+ ft fibre glass boat with no difficulty---- and damned quick too.  Very good for beach retrieves.

As I'm in Adelaide I cant make you one... but happy to explain it all.

A small commercial one will likely be cheaper.

Be careful of wireless remote controls.....  they have a tendancy to get wet when you forget they are in your pocket.!!

Its very simple to arrange a cord down either side of the boat to activate the winch.

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the late response.  It's been a crazy busy year because of COVID19.  I'm currently looking at my options 🙂

On 11/5/2020 at 8:52 PM, 61 crusher said:

Another option if you have a hex shaped end on the winch is to use a cordless drill & socket to suite in low speed, preferably one with a variable speed trigger on cordless drill

Nice idea but unfortunately don't have such a tool!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 9:47 PM, The Rev said:

Nice idea but unfortunately don't have such a tool!

Not to expensive these days & certainly makes winching easier 

Have a look at Zoran’s recent video post, I think I built up more of a sweat videoing him than he did holding the drill 😁 @zmk1962

• Like 1