Bought the wrong sized rod

Azza_Fishing

Hi all, 

Today I made the worst mistake possible and bought the wrong rod and line to go with my baitcaster. I bought an 8lb braid (0.13mm) and then I bought a baitcaster rod which has a cast weight of 10-30g and line from 6-12kg. I was talking to some of my mates and they said the rod I bought is suited for kingfish and other big species rather than small estuary fish such as bream, whiting and smaller flathead (bought the rod to target those species). 

I can't return it to a shop because of their no return POLICY. Don't know if I should keep the 8lb braid on, or just take it all off and replace it with a heavier line. I want to keep on using it to fish, but, can't think on what to do with it.

Any suggestions on what to do.

Cheers 

Azza_Fishing

Are you sure it has a lure weight of 10-30g and line class of 6-12 ?  Casting weigh seems right but 6-12 seems heavy for such a light cast weight, its not really a kingfish outfit  as its to light but also a bit heavy for the estuary but still useable in my opinion. What make of rod is it, sounds more like a Barra rod .

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JonD said:

Are you sure it has a lure weight of 10-30g and line class of 6-12 ?  Casting weigh seems right but 6-12 seems heavy for such a light cast weight, its not really a kingfish outfit  as its to light but also a bit heavy for the estuary but still useable in my opinion. What make of rod is it, sounds more like a Barra rod .

It is the Daiwa Revros Baitcaster Rod (1 piece) graphite. 

3 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Maybe it might work for flicking bigger plastics/hardbodies for bigger flathead and mulloway?

I'll give it a go. Do you have any suggestions for the plastics/hardbodies to use for targeting the big flathead and jewfish. 

Cheers

Aaron

6 minutes ago, Azza_Fishing said:

I'll give it a go. Do you have any suggestions for the plastics/hardbodies to use for targeting the big flathead and jewfish. 

Cheers

Aaron

Not really my domain, but maybe some soft vibes like a Samaki or the like? I'll leave it to the experts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAKSShark said:

Btw if u have bought this within 14 days it is a legal have to in aus for shops to accept a return if there is no damage and within 14 days of sale

I still have the receipt and there is no damage, however I have already used it, so I can't return it

I don't know a store that has a no return policy?

It's against Austrailian consumer law!

The rod you bought would be classed as a medium, sure you could catch rat to hoodlem kingfish with it but it would probably also be a good open water snapper rod to.

Anyway it might not be what you wanted right now but unless you intend to just catch bream all your life you will use the rod eventually.

Ask any dedicated fisho how many rods they own & if they say 4 or 5 they are lying 😁

I thing I am at about 20 + now but I don't have a problem 😅 🤫

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I don't know a store that has a no return policy?

It's against Austrailian consumer law!

The rod you bought would be classed as a medium, sure you could catch rat to hoodlem kingfish with it but it would probably also be a good open water snapper rod to.

Anyway it might not be what you wanted right now but unless you intend to just catch bream all your life you will use the rod eventually.

Ask any dedicated fisho how many rods they own & if they say 4 or 5 they are lying 😁

I thing I am at about 20 + now but I don't have a problem 😅 🤫

I have well eclipsed 50, might be over 70. I've since stopped...for now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, anthman said:

I have well eclipsed 50, might be over 70. I've since stopped...for now

LoL, I guess you could say its either a fetish or a sickness :whistling:...................either way as long as it brings you enjoyment without getting you devorced it all good 🤣

Then again I dont have to explain anything to another half so looks like I am lagging behind in the rod department, but as I dont have a boat to get me into offshore I dont need a lot of that gear..............for now😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is some misinformation here so let’s clear it up.

It is not against the law for a vendor to refuse return of the goods in this case.

under Aus consumer law you only have the statutory right to a refund if the goods are faulty or unfit for purpose.

however in the case of goods ‘unfit for purpose’ then you only have a statutory right to refund/repair if you relied on the salesperson’s judgement or representations when selecting the purchase. For example if you said ‘I need a rod for estuary bream’ and the salesperson said ‘this is the rod you need, it is ideal for bream’.

you do not have the legal right to refund if the goods are sound but you change your mind, or you find they are unfit for purpose and you relied on your own judgement in making the decision to purchase.

I assume the OP’s purchase falls into the latter category.

the situation has been muddied somewhat because larger stores (KMart, Bunnings) have adopted a more lenient policy as a marketing strategy, leading to the misunderstanding among many people that they have some type of universal statutory entitlement to a refund.

There is also confusion about 14 day periods but this only applies to certain classes of goods/service subject to cooling off periods - most of which were bought in to stop door to door salespeople preying on the vulnerable.

a further point, if the goods are faulty or unfit then it makes no difference if they are used, removed from packaging etc - its basically down to how long you had service from the item and what is a reasonable expectation for goods in their price bracket.

this page explains it best - especially the second paragraph. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Still, I would be surprised that as long as the rod still had the tags on it & obviously not used that a business wouldn't allow a customer to exchange in a timely manner for a different line class or even say store credit.

It's in their best interest if they want the continuing custom.

Sure, if you've used it & there is no manufacturer fault then you bought it.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1