1 Metre King broke the metre mark OMG!

FishyMcFishFace

So Sunday me and a mate decided to go fishing possibly land based at Rose Bay, took the origami boat just incase. Got there and the conditions were perfect for boating so we set the bugger up in 20 mins and got out there.

I really didn't care today if I caught anything that day just wanted to get my pal out fishing. He turned up with a broken tip rod and very little experience.

It was calm partly cloudy not too hot not too cold, water temp 20°. 

Seen some fly fishos on the flats possibly chasing Whiting so we drifted and tried to catch something on the sugapens but gave up quickly.

So we went for around the bays seen a fair few rock fishos and boats around so we chilled there. I was just leisurely casting a slow fall jig and caught a medium sized squid completely by chance and hardly hooked on.

Had my heavy outfit (80lb line 100lb leader), with me so tried a live bait with a 7/0 hook chucked some flathead frames as burley chopped up, about 15 20 mins later there was action after not expecting anything at all.

I could hardly lift the rod out of my makeshift rod holder something huuge on the end!

The fight lasted around 4 mins was difficult because its hard to stand up in my boat without falling over, I had no net and crowd of kayakers watching me, the pressure was on.

My mates first proper fishing experience the first king on the origami boat and the dream fish I've been chasing for nearly 2 years! 

All we got was 1 squid and 1 big PB King totalling 101cm had to come home fast because it was too big for the esky.

This was very much down to the experience and knowledge I have gained from the lads I've met on Fishraider. 

Its all about the Kings! ❤ 

Next up 1.2m 1.4 King and the 2m 

Screenshot_20201122-135748_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201123-065737_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201123-065943_Gallery.jpg

Edited by FishyMcFishFace
Grammar, details
  • Like 27

Great post & what a fish especially in the origami boat 😎👍

would’ve been fun watching you guys as your mate probably kept ducking his head as the kingy ran around the boat or towing you two around, where did you get it, Point Piper or or Vaucluse side of the bay

• Like 1

Amazing story mate. As a Rose Bay local looking forward to a summer of chasing Kings, great to hear!

Out of interest - do you have a link to the origami boat? I have an Oru Kayak - similar 1 man folding kayak and regularly take it out around the bay. Rarely take the heavy gear out though as would be worried about landing anything sizeable in it. How robust is the boat?

12 hours ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

"Its all about the Kings! ❤ 

Next up 1.2m 1.4 King and the 2m"

2m king........um think you'll need a bigger Yak... or maybe not...it does seem quite capable , just depends on the water rather than what your fishing for.........

Edited by jot

3 hours ago, chrisevz1337 said:

Amazing story mate. As a Rose Bay local looking forward to a summer of chasing Kings, great to hear!

Out of interest - do you have a link to the origami boat? I have an Oru Kayak - similar 1 man folding kayak and regularly take it out around the bay. Rarely take the heavy gear out though as would be worried about landing anything sizeable in it. How robust is the boat?

Its a Porta-Bote 3.2m can take 3people its a very seaworthy vessel the Japanese coast guard use them. Takes 15 20 mins for me to get it ready.

It flexes with the waves

I don't go out too far, the waves are scary still seeing what it can handle.

https://www.porta-bote.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXukANskhDke4v65aTx1654A7vg3P6Xhxi8kq7NMPMWOVqz3HKAoL4BoCq5UQAvD_BwE&_vsrefdom=p.417

At times (donuts) i regretted buying it, seems worth it now Haha

On 11/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, 61 crusher said:

Great post & what a fish especially in the origami boat 😎👍

would’ve been fun watching you guys as your mate probably kept ducking his head as the kingy ran around the boat or towing you two around, where did you get it, Point Piper or or Vaucluse side of the 

I forgot my anchor but managed to tie to a public buoy thingie seemed legit. It would have had my boat going at pb speed i'd say! 😄

Edited by FishyMcFishFace
Details
  • Haha 1

Onya Steve, the first one over 90 dominates the dream sequences for quite a while. Still can’t Eli ever you got into a fold-a- boat 2up - must have almost been water skiing.

Gteat stuff - I might be coming out with you in future, not other way around.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Onya Steve, the first one over 90 dominates the dream sequences for quite a while. Still can’t Eli ever you got into a fold-a- boat 2up - must have almost been water skiing.

Gteat stuff - I might be coming out with you in future, not other way around.

Why not mate, you're welcome to! Not as comfortable as your boat but does the damage 1 in a 100 go's!  😄

I'll be more relaxed fishing from now because i know its rare to beat that.