rust repairs, and painting over baked enamel ,

leonardgid

Hello Raiders  need some advice please , ive got one of those old USA made Weber Kettle bbq's ,  being about 25 years old  there are a  few chips ,  and some rust  around the handles  etc ,  i want to restore it , remove all the rust and  paint over the rust   so it does  not  return ,  the photos are not my own just an example ,   any advice on how to  repair it please .

Got a REAL red kettle and saying goodbye to a Woodard Cart | The Virtual  Weber Bulletin Board

Do that holeon the side go all the way though?? 

Those Webers are usually a porcelain finish which is quite difficult to replicate but it might be possible after sanding & preparing the area to use a porcelain repair paste like they use on sinks, baths & tiles?

Just not sure how they would adhere to metal & how the heat would affect it??

The other option could be to just prepare the surface & use a high heat fire place putty & paint with high heat paint??

Selleys 850g Ready To Use Fireproof Cement | Bunnings Warehouse

Possibly an exhaust putty could work to as they work on high heat & are pretty cheap, not sure if they are toxic though 🤢

At the end of the day it just depends how much time, effort & money you want to put into it.

I often see people throwing away good webers around my place when they move out of apartments, could have filled up my garage by now with half decent webers.

Anyway this is something I came across & could help-

Weber Grill Restoration: Interior and Exterior Kettle Cleaning - Weber Kettle Club

Hi there  kingie chaser  lots of good advice  and information,          a really good start  to what im about to do ,           the rust  does not go all the way through ,     its surface rust  but its been there for a while so it may  get very close  to making a hole  when i start rubbing  etc ,        matter of fact ive got 4 webers that i want to restore  the same way,         all different models , thank you very much for your time and all of the tips and advice ,  i will look into every different option  ,  i do not expect  a porcelain finish  after ive used heat paint  over the rust spot ,  i will also paint ony a small area  every time , so it will not look   all that bad  once its all done ,  thank again.

4 hours ago, leonardgid said:

Hi there  kingie chaser  lots of good advice  and information,          a really good start  to what im about to do ,           the rust  does not go all the way through ,     its surface rust  but its been there for a while so it may  get very close  to making a hole  when i start rubbing  etc ,        matter of fact ive got 4 webers that i want to restore  the same way,         all different models , thank you very much for your time and all of the tips and advice ,  i will look into every different option  ,  i do not expect  a porcelain finish  after ive used heat paint  over the rust spot ,  i will also paint ony a small area  every time , so it will not look   all that bad  once its all done ,  thank again.

No problem & good luck with the resto's Leo, I've had a charcoal weber for about 15 years & think they are a great bit of kit & you can do lots of different things with them when you get proficient on how they work.

I was just throwing ideas out there, never had to try & repair one as they are pretty bullet proof but just suggesting things that came to mind :thumbup:

• Like 1