When Fishraiders meet...

fiveflies

This Wednesday my mate and I went out for our first exploration, on our own, around Middle Harbour. We had taken a charter previously and were attempting to re-create that day when we caught squid and yakkas for livebait before targetting kings.

We were full of confidence given our success on the charter however we caught no squid and the yakkas were particularly fickle. Enter fellow Fishraider @Pickles! We were next to another boat and the guys there were reeling in yakka after yakka. Pickles looked over and we said hello. Before long we were chatting and worked out that that we were both Fishraiders and that's when Pickles started teaching us his technique for landing the yakkas.

So many fisherman are not prepared to share their spots or how they go about landing their fish. Pickles could not have been more generous, inviting us over and then tying a rig for us to use. Suffice to say we then started landing the yakkas! What's more he offered to take us to the squid ground and offered his services to help us with chasing kingies the next time we go out.

We were blown away and so thankful. What a great experience and fantastic to, for the first time, meet another 'Raider face to face. Watch out @Pickles we will take you at your word and have you teaching us your kingie wisdom!

IMG_4360.HEIC

• Like 4

Honour and a pleasure Five flies (I also target kings on fly if the “five flies” is fly fishing related). God made a great world for us to enjoy and “he who waters will himself be watered” (Prov 11:25), soIm always happy to share.

My offer to go out with you chasing kings was a genuine so don’t be backward about being forward (only issue is driving / pulling my boat) 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

You will not meet a more generous person Five flies. Like a lot of Fishraiders Pickles is a wealth of knowledge and he is always ready to provide help where it is needed. Take him up on his generous offer, you won't be sorry. bn

Hi Neil,

We certainly intend to take Pickles up on his generous offer. I'm based down south, so next time we get the boat up to Middle Harbour, Pickles will be getting a DM from me!

Regards,

Fiveflies

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

Honour and a pleasure Five flies (I also target kings on fly if the “five flies” is fly fishing related). God made a great world for us to enjoy and “he who waters will himself be watered” (Prov 11:25), soIm always happy to share.

My offer to go out with you chasing kings was a genuine so don’t be backward about being forward (only issue is driving / pulling my boat) 

One of the guys I was with is a fly fisherman and he'd love to have a crack at kingies on a fly rod. We will get working on a plan to get the boat up from The Shire to MH and I'll DM you to see if you're free. Very happy to pick you up and take you out in our boat.

Thanks again

6 hours ago, fiveflies said:

Hi Neil,

We certainly intend to take Pickles up on his generous offer. I'm based down south, so next time we get the boat up to Middle Harbour, Pickles will be getting a DM from me!

Regards,

Fiveflies

I see that you're in Caringbah. I sometimes stay with an aunt in Sylvania when I come to Sydney. Good luck when you get together with Pickles. bn

On 11/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, fiveflies said:

Enter fellow Fishraider @Pickles! We were next to another boat and the guys there were reeling in yakka after yakka. ...

Pickles could not have been more generous, inviting us over and then tying a rig for us to use. Suffice to say we then started landing the yakkas!...

Hi All.  Long time listener, first time caller.

What was the difference in technique that made all the difference?

Thanks in advance. 

14 hours ago, JustJames said:

Hi All.  Long time listener, first time caller.

What was the difference in technique that made all the difference?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi JJ,

We were using rods (sabiki jig as well as single hooks) rigged with pea sinkers that we use successfully in Botany Bay. Pickles was unweighted and using a (maybe) Size 12 hook on 6lb trace up to a swivel. This wafted down in our berley trail more naturally and the yakkas hooked themselves!

Simple when you think about it, but in the heat of the moment not obvious when our usual approach was failing!!

• Like 1