Catching baitfish - Yakkas and slimies (1 of 100 ways to skin a catfish)

Pickles

A few Raiders have asked about catching Yakkas in the harbour. My approach outside requires far less finesse (bigger hooks and thicker line and a rod), but inside, I think they are somewhat tackle shy and my experience is they need a far more gentle approach.

My rig: a 6lb hand line to a small swivel, then 6 or 4lb line to a no 12 (if they are biting well a no10 hook). I like “ Owner mosquito” hooks - they are ultra fine, but pretty strong. I bait this with the smallest amount of squid or fresh yellowtail that will just cover the hook and then throw this out the back into burley trail about 2 m deep. The burley is white bread.

I then very gently lift the line until I feel weight, then keep gently lifting until hook engages. Using this technique I regularly outfish 3 or 4 : 1 my mates who use a rod.

If there is any “trick” it is to keep the burley pumping.

This approach is a bit light for slimies, but with careful tension you can get them to the side of the boat, but need a small landing not to save getting busted off.

I have found bait jigs too cumbersome and by the time you get them untangled, using the hand line, you can get 5 or 6 in the Yakka spa (live bait tank).

I hope this helps those not familiar to getting Yakkas inside the harbour. This also works for sprat and herring in the Hawkesbury.

Edited by Pickles
More info
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Pickles changed the title to Catching baitfish - Yakkas and slimies (1 of 100 ways to skin a catfish)

Pretty much the same rig i was taught to use by the old guys fishing off luna park wharf 40yrs ago but they used mince meat for bait - probably because  it was cheap and readily available . I went from handline to rod then back again - you can’t beat the feel you get with a handline and i noticed that when using a rod the  yakkas always seemed to stay a little deeper and wider - maybe they could see the silhouette of the rod ? 

@Pickles is you handline unweighted or do you use a small ball sinker ? single hook or a few hooks on the rig ??

i started off with a rod but i could not feel anything when i chase the yakkes in botany bay, atleast with the handline you can feel them nibbling on the bait. 

Hand line sinker depends on conditions, but mainly a small split shot if you do need to use one. 

+1 for mosquito hooks, ultra sharp and requires minimal jig for penetration. My go to hooks for DIY assist hooks for the sugapens.

I find the best bait for yakkas thats always easy to use and keep on hand is chicken breast cut into tiny cubes.  I buy a chicken breast and freeze small portions big enough for an outing.  Strangely enough I also find chicken is great for poddy mulet as well.   Ron 

• Like 1

Hey Dunc’ the hand line / light setup worked well all this week on little yakkas , until a school of solid slimies tore through and busted off anything under 8lb line - needed a net to land the ones that did stay on, but good fun.

Thanks for the article! What's your burleying technique? So you just roll white bread between your hands and crumb into to the water? Use a berley bucket and shake it up and down vigorously? Always bear wharves/structure?

On 11/30/2020 at 9:26 AM, M1100S said:

@Pickles is you handline unweighted or do you use a small ball sinker ? single hook or a few hooks on the rig ??

i started off with a rod but i could not feel anything when i chase the yakkes in botany bay, atleast with the handline you can feel them nibbling on the bait. 

Not sure if Bob answered your question. The small swivel is sufficient weight to take the bait down the few metres to where they are scoffing the berley. The trick is to GENTLY move the bait and they hook themselves. Cheers, bn

Thanks for some great tips @Pickles, I seem to get yakkas quite easily most days in the ocean out of Swansea Heads using the standard bait jigs (sabiki), however I need to find some backup spots for those days when they don't fire and your tips sound like good advice for those days when they are not dime a dozen.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, Pickles said:

I have found bait jigs too cumbersome and by the time you get them untangled, using the hand line, you can get 5 or 6 in the Yakka spa (live bait tank).

I keep a sabiki rod rigged up in the boat, which helps reduce tangles and be instantly ready for slimies, just need to remember to wash it with fresh water else the hooks from last time rust. I buy the sabiki rigs in bulk off ebay and find the green ones seem to work better here than red.