Dedicated to Snapper!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well it was certainly a busy week last week and I forwent a lot of sleep. The balance between work, family, sleep and fishing wasn’t ideal but I did the best i could with everything. 
I was trying to tee up a session with @dlvbwbut a lot of things conspired against us and it wasn’t possible. Sorry mate! 
So on my next available day off, I got an invite to go out on a mates boat and thought I was no chance for a leave pass but the beautiful wife I have said “sure. I have some shopping to do”. 🤔🤔🤔

Anyway, got out early and found bait really hard to come by. Bailed on that after 5 minutes and hit the island. The wind was pushing hard from the south, so that set the drift. Second cast, my mate comes tight and a solid 50 to the esky. Then another that was legal but not what we were after so it went back. We were approaching a bommie and I cast out, bang! This thing smacked hard in 4m of water. It took a bit of pressure and luck but I got him boat side and into the net.  (Cracking photo) 

F45B7309-A42C-4300-BAE5-9D4D7DD78830.thumb.jpeg.2ba0831e500eb9d3e53fdf148b15aa64.jpeg

We had a few more drifts but decided to move about and make the most of the overcast conditions and good drift. 
Next spot looked good to with promising signs of bait. A few casts later I was rewarded with another nice snapper that really it did its best to use the current and structure! 

416BFC65-DCD8-4578-9A4C-F22726CF1709.thumb.jpeg.c7438f85fd440eb0a8f08bb3d7c8a360.jpeg

Changed a few locations after that but the wind was now blowing hard from the s/e at 20knots and was rendered useless for casting plastics. So we packed up by 930 and took our time heading home pretty happy with our efforts. 

The title of this post is not only about my dedication to snapper but I’d also like to dedicate this post to my mate @back cruncher that is in a different type of fight at the moment. I know he is hanging to get back out there fishing and as soon as he is well enough, then watch this space! Get well soon brother 👍 Some snapper coming your way real soon. 

9D1BFDD7-281F-4279-8472-E7DB1C560610.thumb.jpeg.bc168510c0d15812c2b1bbf2bfe4cd88.jpeg

Tight lines all, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 25

Agree with others about the front cover shot, magnificent ! love the sun rays coming through the dorsal fin. Well worth blowing up and framing to stand beside your Snapper mold in the trophy room. ( I'm sure you would have one of them ).

Frank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

Well it was certainly a busy week last week and I forwent a lot of sleep. The balance between work, family, sleep and fishing wasn’t ideal but I did the best i could with everything. 
I was trying to tee up a session with @dlvbwbut a lot of things conspired against us and it wasn’t possible. Sorry mate! 
So on my next available day off, I got an invite to go out on a mates boat and thought I was no chance for a leave pass but the beautiful wife I have said “sure. I have some shopping to do”. 🤔🤔🤔

Anyway, got out early and found bait really hard to come by. Bailed on that after 5 minutes and hit the island. The wind was pushing hard from the south, so that set the drift. Second cast, my mate comes tight and a solid 50 to the esky. Then another that was legal but not what we were after so it went back. We were approaching a bommie and I cast out, bang! This thing smacked hard in 4m of water. It took a bit of pressure and luck but I got him boat side and into the net.  (Cracking photo) 

F45B7309-A42C-4300-BAE5-9D4D7DD78830.thumb.jpeg.2ba0831e500eb9d3e53fdf148b15aa64.jpeg

We had a few more drifts but decided to move about and make the most of the overcast conditions and good drift. 
Next spot looked good to with promising signs of bait. A few casts later I was rewarded with another nice snapper that really it did its best to use the current and structure! 

416BFC65-DCD8-4578-9A4C-F22726CF1709.thumb.jpeg.c7438f85fd440eb0a8f08bb3d7c8a360.jpeg

Changed a few locations after that but the wind was now blowing hard from the s/e at 20knots and was rendered useless for casting plastics. So we packed up by 930 and took our time heading home pretty happy with our efforts. 

The title of this post is not only about my dedication to snapper but I’d also like to dedicate this post to my mate @back cruncher that is in a different type of fight at the moment. I know he is hanging to get back out there fishing and as soon as he is well enough, then watch this space! Get well soon brother 👍 Some snapper coming your way real soon. 

9D1BFDD7-281F-4279-8472-E7DB1C560610.thumb.jpeg.bc168510c0d15812c2b1bbf2bfe4cd88.jpeg

Tight lines all, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Awesome stuff Mate mouth watering snapper must organise a return trip.

c

The Skipper

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great day out. Well done. Super photos.

Sure was Rebel, thanks 

4 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all... well done Jeff,that sunrise pic is cover photo material.

I be back soon mate,with a vengeance.

Cool photo aye! Can’t wait for you to get back buddy! We got some catching up to do! 

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Top report @Scratchie .... agree about that photo ...forget "the Mona Lisa" ....

we raiders have "the Sunrise Snapper" .... !

Who needs more !

Cheers Zoran

Haha 😂 thanks Zoran! I was pretty impressed by the image! 

2 hours ago, Welster said:

It’s great to see the snapper are finally playing ball.   Well done and a cracking photo. 

Thanks champ. It was nice to get a few runs on the board. 

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Another good box of reddies there Scratchie.

They went down a treat yowie! It’s been a while 🤔

2 hours ago, dlvbw said:

All good Jeff, I appreciate the advice you gave me for the land based locations. 

Great work on the fish. We plan on coming up again in late summer/autumn so will catch up then.

Cheers

D

Glad you enjoyed your stay up here D. It’s a pretty special place. Yes mate, you let me know next time and we’ll lock something in! 

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Agree with others about the front cover shot, magnificent ! love the sun rays coming through the dorsal fin. Well worth blowing up and framing to stand beside your Snapper mold in the trophy room. ( I'm sure you would have one of them ).

Frank

Thanks Frank. Nah mate, no trophy room. The wife let’s me go fishing whenever I want, she doesn’t want to worship it 🤣🤣 and I’m not pushing the envelope. 

11 minutes ago, longy509 said:

Nice work good to see you back on the board and all the best to back cruncher

Cheers longy! It’s good to start seeing a few turn up! Early morning is the key! 

53 minutes ago, the skipper said:

Awesome stuff Mate mouth watering snapper must organise a return trip.

c

The Skipper

Thanks Skip. Come back up when your ready! 👍

Great stuff, Jeff! I’ve been waiting for this report after I saw your pics on Instagram the other day. 😎 And that is a great shot!

I’m currently on (forced) holiday and madly trying to get a hell of a lot of jobs done so I can get out fishing. (My son and his girlfriend have moved into our rental property, so we’ve taken the opportunity to do some renos there. Of course, they still haven’t taken everything of theirs out of our house, so I can’t get onto the painting etc. in our house yet but spending a lot of time at Shoalie! 🤷‍♂️). It’s been way too long since I wet a line but at least I’ve been satisfying my other passion - music - and have a regular jam night happening. 🎸 🎤 🎼 🎶 🎵 😎

Thursday or, more likely Friday, looks like a goer. Even got a leave pass from the missus - you working? Got a spot. 😉 

PS. Wishing you all the best @back cruncher. Hope everything goes well for you, mate.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! I’ve been waiting for this report after I saw your pics on Instagram the other day. 😎 And that is a great shot!

I’m currently on (forced) holiday and madly trying to get a hell of a lot of jobs done so I can get out fishing. (My son and his girlfriend have moved into our rental property, so we’ve taken the opportunity to do some renos there. Of course, they still haven’t taken everything of theirs out of our house, so I can’t get onto the painting etc. in our house yet but spending a lot of time at Shoalie! 🤷‍♂️). It’s been way too long since I wet a line but at least I’ve been satisfying my other passion - music - and have a regular jam night happening. 🎸 🎤 🎼 🎶 🎵 😎

Thursday or, more likely Friday, looks like a goer. Even got a leave pass from the missus - you working? Got a spot. 😉 

PS. Wishing you all the best @back cruncher. Hope everything goes well for you, mate.

Thanks Baz! Wow, your list is never ending! 
Sorry mate, working Friday but it definitely looks the best day of the week. Get out there and get yourself a good fish! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Thanks Baz! Wow, your list is never ending! 
Sorry mate, working Friday but it definitely looks the best day of the week. Get out there and get yourself a good fish! 

Yep. Never ending list... the downside of being a “real estate mogul”, I guess! 😂. Once I get all the major stuff done at the rental property though, and patch the walls etc. at our place, I can paint here at night, leaving the days free. 😉

@Scratchie top stuff mate. Glad you finally found the reds i recall you had struggled the last few trips! And mate you hit a spot there dedicating the report to a good mate. Fishing is just as much about the company and the memories with good friends

@back cruncher wish you a speedy recovery mate

@Berleyguts your chores are never ending mate !!! You will never get out fishing at this rate.

Drop everything...go fishing. Life is short. Get out there while your young(ish) 😅 and fit!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:06 AM, kingie chaser said:

Well done Jeff, great to see you back into them 🙂

Here's hoping we can get another get together organised sometime in the near future now that we have a handle on the CV19 situation.

Yep the top picture is a cracker :thumbup:

Thanks mate! Already thinking about another meet up! 

16 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

@Scratchie top stuff mate. Glad you finally found the reds i recall you had struggled the last few trips! And mate you hit a spot there dedicating the report to a good mate. Fishing is just as much about the company and the memories with good friends

@back cruncher wish you a speedy recovery mate

@Berleyguts your chores are never ending mate !!! You will never get out fishing at this rate.

Drop everything...go fishing. Life is short. Get out there while your young(ish) 😅 and fit!!!

Cheers Sam! Yes mate, fishing in good company always makes the experience that much better. The reds have been no existent in the last few trips. So it’s good to see some action! And Baz’s chores seem to be a feature in my reports! Lol 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done Scratchie!

And you didn't even have to use live pike.

You got them using your old faithful techniques - the sweet taste of vindication right there.

On a more general note, I just wanted to say that people like yourself are all too rare. I don't mean your prowess at catching big reds on a regular basis, rather your caring, sharing and giving nature where you take people fishing on your boat, show them your spots, techniques and put a smile on their dial that you could not wipe off (not even with Chux super wipes!). Only one question remains.

When are you gonna catch whiskers? He's still out there...hehehe...

• Thanks 2

On 12/4/2020 at 6:04 AM, Brendonjohnson said:

Unreal!, that photo is all time.🤙 lovely fish!

Thanks. I’m pretty happy with it! Definitely one for the pool room 🤙

1 hour ago, Keflapod said:

Well done Scratchie!

And you didn't even have to use live pike.

You got them using your old faithful techniques - the sweet taste of vindication right there.

On a more general note, I just wanted to say that people like yourself are all too rare. I don't mean your prowess at catching big reds on a regular basis, rather your caring, sharing and giving nature where you take people fishing on your boat, show them your spots, techniques and put a smile on their dial that you could not wipe off (not even with Chux super wipes!). Only one question remains.

When are you gonna catch whiskers? He's still out there...hehehe...

Thank you!!! I enjoy watching people catch fish and learning, just as much as catching them myself. What better platform than fishraider to make that happen! 

So to be honest, which is something I didn’t include in the original post. Sad to say, just after that first fish, he got me again! 🥲🥲

On 11/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, back cruncher said:

Hi all... well done Jeff,that sunrise pic is cover photo material.

I be back soon mate,with a vengeance.

I'd like to wish you a full and speedy recovery mate and successful fishing trips in the future. Cheers, bn

• Like 1