Rose Bay flatties

mitchie18092

Been a while since wetting a line, aside from a few rather unsuccessful Jewie attempts rendering just a few measly Port Jackson's, stingrays and countless salmon (which seem to be in plague proportions, unlike any other season i can remember in recent memory...) - and a few lazy squid sessions any chance i can get while near the water. Been even longer, years even, since reporting on here.

Managed to fracture my foot the other week, and with only so many fishing videos watched, and painstakingly slow days working at home, i decided to pop a few painkillers, ditch the moonboot and go target some table fish.

Fished for about 45 minutes on the last hour of the run out down at the usual Rose Bay haunt.

First 30 minutes managed only a few inquisitive taps from some undersize bream right along the drop off, before finding a patch of duskies about 70m out from the tide line.

Caught 3x fish in 5 casts before my foot said no more, and i was satisfied with a nice feed. 

All caught on a 3 inch Z-man grub in motor oil on a 1/8th jig head. Running 8lb braid to 15lb fluro.

Should note - i saw a plethora of elbow slapper whiting patrolling the drop off - will be sure to bring the top water gear next outing.

Fish ranged from 38cm to 41cm, all caught within about a 10m squared radius.

127904548_454446422212785_382279277222003741_n.thumb.jpg.56aa1f84a938c607eefc8da5a6d8f158.jpg

127603905_295929171726033_6783259862092543707_n.thumb.jpg.ebe50eb66b5b37846b0351cadb0ad263.jpg

Tight lines y'all.

Mitchie.

• Like 12

14 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Top effort! Especially given the foot problem. 
Love the dinner presentation. What’s the orange salad recipe?

cheers Zoran 

Appreciate the kind words Zoran.

Super fresh and simple.

One fennel finely sliced (raw), one finely sliced granny Smith apple, one orange cut into segments, dressed in olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, finished with fennel fronds and lemon zest. Super quick and easy.

Sweet potato fries; par boiled sweet potato, cut into fries, chilled down to nearly frozen then deep fried.

Tartare was a lazy one - kewpie mayo, finely diced pickled cucumber, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Beer batter was literally just salt, cold beer (I used Sapporo), and flour until desired viscosity is achieved, then chilled down in the fridge until ready to use.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mitchie18092 said:

One fennel finely sliced (raw), one finely sliced granny Smith apple, one orange cut into segments, dressed in olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, finished with fennel fronds and lemon zest. Super quick and easy.

I'll be giving that a go for sure 👍.... thanks so much for sharing !

Cheers Zoran