Braid Question for 4000 spin reel

Hoodlumz

Hi,

Going to be spooling Stradic 4000 reel with new braid. I was wondering is there a way I can spool it with only 20LB of 150m braid and have the reel spooled full?

Would I have to put maybe 100m of mono-backing, then spool 150m of braid on top? Would this work? 

How much LB mono-backing would I need to use?

Thanks

Bit of guesswork needed here. 150m of 20 lb braid won't take up much of the spool so you may well need more than 100m of say 20lb mono. Alternately use a 100m of say 40 lb mono or 150m of 20lb.

Ideally you want the braid to sit neatly to within 1-2mm of the top of the spool. Good luck. bn

If you want it to look neat and filled to the max (like I do) you can put the 150 braid directly onto the spool then fill it with mono to the top. Once its at the top you will need to take it off the spool and either put it on another reel with enough room to fit the line or an old empty spool. From there you will then need to transfer it again to another spool which will then have the line reversed again ready to put back onto your original reel but with the braid now ontop.

It sounds like a bit of messing around but if you keep off spools and rig them to a battery drill it really is quiet easy. I also have a gadget known as bee's Knees line spooler which allows me to spool my reels with an exact tension but these can be a bit on the pricy side due to the tiagra drag system in them.

Once you have done this you only have to replace the 150 braid in the future, leave the mono underneath. Also be sure to do a good pr or fg knot as any other knot will be lumpy and most likely catch on longer casts with just 150m on the spool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

If u have time and an empty reel or two  or use a line spool and drill   wind braid on  then wind mono on till full  remove then wind mono on first   then braid  voila  perfect amount

The same way I do it. Seems a pain and time consuming, but the only way I know of that gets it perfect every time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

@JonDMy redneck, line tension device gets the job done for me. Just chuck it in the vice and away you go.

Makes single handed, spooling up easy and no burnt fingers.

Web Post.jpg

Thats an awesome way to do it, however the bees knees device allows you to buy bulk spools and just use what you need. My spooler has several spools permanently attached, its just a case of setting a light pressure or heavy pressure depending on line class. I was never very keen on how the centre of a spool heated up when I had a screwdriver through it and needing someone to try and keep pressure using an old rag etc which also heated the spool. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonD said:

Thats an awesome way to do it, however the bees knees device allows you to buy bulk spools and just use what you need. My spooler has several spools permanently attached, its just a case of setting a light pressure or heavy pressure depending on line class. I was never very keen on how the centre of a spool heated up when I had a screwdriver through it and needing someone to try and keep pressure using an old rag etc which also heated the spool. 

Bees Knees is one of the best things ive bought-you can speed the process up by using a power drill in the despooling process

• Like 1

JonD's technique would be the best way to do this. If you're measurements are just using the spool capacity numbers, if it says 250m of 20lb, then it wont work out. 20lb braid and 20lb mono would have a different thickness. The method of moving the line from spool to spool would take out the guess work or manual calculations of how much line of Mono you need.

Just be wary of too much line twist when doing this.

• 5 weeks later...