Rod recommendation barrier reef

dirvin21

I'm booked in for a 3 day trip to the bunker group on the southern GBR next year, starting to acquire the gear, trying to find rods that aren't going to smash the finances, casting poppers, stickbaits, and also working softvibes and plastics and probably trolling deep divers. 40 -60lb braid

Shimano revolution have a couple of models that seem ok, anyone got any feedback on them?

Cheers

Dave

3 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

I'm booked in for a 3 day trip to the bunker group on the southern GBR next year, starting to acquire the gear, trying to find rods that aren't going to smash the finances, casting poppers, stickbaits, and also working softvibes and plastics and probably trolling deep divers. 40 -60lb braid

Shimano revolution have a couple of models that seem ok, anyone got any feedback on them?

Cheers

Dave

I got a 24kg spin blue water ugly stik last week from B.CF for $110 on sale.

Seemed like a great deal to me.

Only thing is it's 5'6.

Could still be on sale?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Are you driving up there or driving, if flying take a look at the Bone Voyage travel rods. I got one in the lightest of the range for trips up north (flying). I wanted something to cover as many bases as possible in one rod, from Barra to small pelagic's and reef fish. the fact it breaks down to walk on hand luggage size was another bonus. Any my trip was canceled but my daughter managed a trip up there and managed numerous species using it without any dramas (we do like fishing light though). Ive also used on on kings here locally without issue.

Also have a look at Ocean Legacy rods, another light fun rod manufacturer that make some great rods. 

The other rod I have which is probably more suitable to what your usage will be is the SALTIST BW SJ 792H SPIN which is PE5 rated, its a much better rod for casting being 7'9 & has a longer butt.

Got that one on special tofrom the same store awhile ago for $77, normally $120.

I love a bargain :biggrinthumb:

What is the actual budget Dave?

Shimano Terez are good rods. I have a white, super good rod. They aren't available really anymore which is a shame since I prefer the action to the terez blacks. That being said the black rods are super good rods for the price. Terez GT 80lb has a lot of grunt but you mention some lighter stuff as well. The terez black 65lb to 200lb is a good rod. One of my mates who fishes with me uses it and manages to work smaller lures however still throw really big stuff and lockup really hard on PE 8. THat being said there is a massive range of Terez rods so its worth checking them out. 

I got a PFLUEGER Trion Transcendent Travel Spin Fishing Rod 7' 5 piece, which it a three piece with two middles and two tips. Used for Barra. I also got a 6'6 Ugly Stik Gold 5-10kg 4 Piece Spinning Fishing Rod that I used on the reef in Darwin and it did good enough to wind up a really big lemon shark. If you were just reefing, the ugly stick would be fine. Its less than $100 and it fits in your luggage without too many issues. 

Edited by antonywardle
  • Like 2

As mentioned, if flying, then length is going to be an issue, check with the airline for their max length. For a short trip like that, I would be looking for rods that can serve a few purposes, I do a pretty regular trip to 1770 and one of my first rods packed is a 2 piece Shimano (not cheap) that I use for casting, bottom fishing and just about everything else, matched to a mid sized threadline reel, it covers a lot of bases. I can't remember the exact model, I will have a look later, more than welcome to borrow it if you like, though freight up there might not be worth it.

Edited by noelm
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, noelm said:

If you're driving, then there will be dozens of rods suitable, what type of fishing are you anticipating?

Softvibes, plastics and maybe some jigs, casting poppers and stickbaits on the flats and probably trolling deep divers for macks