Does anyone know what these old vintage shakespeare rods and reels are?

JamoDamo

Hey guys,

I thought as I have no idea what these are that I might ask all of you on fishraider what these rods are. I found three of these two piece yellow shakespeare rods in a throw out my mate tipped me off to look at, I was intrigued and just had to take them home and catch something on them. I estimate they are probably from either the 70's-80's around that time period. They have a soft parabolic action and the reels have around 8lb tortue on them. I can't wait to give them a go and see if I can catch something good on them. The reels click and the drag is very loud by they all work just fine and are in good condition with a bit of rust but they work pretty well.

Here are some photos: 

IMG_2324 (1).jpg

IMG_2325 (1).jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

• Like 1

In my experience there is not much value in old well used fishing gear. I would not use it. there are exceptions center pin reels, Alvies etc.all for the purist. In today's world the difference between no good and the best has shrunk. You could probably get Javis Walker outfit today that would out perform the gear in your pictures. 

But I agree with your want to catch something big just give your self a better chance!

Shakespear have ben around for a very long time so it could be hard to find details about a specific outfit-

The Shakespeare Fishing Tackle Company (rootsweb.com)

A later version I'd say-

Shakespeare 1411-165 Fiberglass Light 5'4" casting rod | eBay

Cant hurt to give it a try after servicing the reel & changing the line but at the end of the day some things vintage are just better left as wall hangers.

I couldnt imagine taking out & using my fathers old alvey & bamboo rod from the 1930-40's but Im sure it could still catch fish but it hangs proudly in my lounge room.

202797780_1930-40sbamborod.thumb.jpg.b81c6cd17cc374142487e49b13327548.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 8:34 AM, kingie chaser said:

Shakespear have ben around for a very long time so it could be hard to find details about a specific outfit-

The Shakespeare Fishing Tackle Company (rootsweb.com)

A later version I'd say-

Shakespeare 1411-165 Fiberglass Light 5'4" casting rod | eBay

Cant hurt to give it a try after servicing the reel & changing the line but at the end of the day some things vintage are just better left as wall hangers.

I couldnt imagine taking out & using my fathers old alvey & bamboo rod from the 1930-40's but Im sure it could still catch fish but it hangs proudly in my lounge room.

202797780_1930-40sbamborod.thumb.jpg.b81c6cd17cc374142487e49b13327548.jpg

Wow that’s a beautiful outfit. Not that you would ever sell it but stuff like that is on sale for a motza at dirty janes in Bowral.