Back to the Murrumbidgee

big Neil

I finally got to wet a line on home waters with a trip to Narrandera on Friday. I can't actually recall when I last used the boat! I had anticipated a lengthy spell off the water and emptied all the fuel from the boat, to be used in the lawn mower. With fresh fuel the 15HP Yamaha started first time and I headed downstream to try my luck. I pulled up firstly to set the shrimp net and then moved a little to start fishing. 2 rods used. #1 with a running sinker down to a 4/0 hook, loaded with a chunk of cheese. #2 with a paternoster and size 3/0 hook and chicken strip bait. 2 minutes in and a bit of interest on the chicken. The rod doubles over and a chunky Murray Cod of 52cm comes on board. Rebaited and within a few minutes I had the second MC in the net. I lost the next one when having a drink of water, struck late, and it had me in the snag. Had to break the line and redo the paternoster rig, put more chicken on and cast in...this time vowing to be more alert. Nothing for a further 3/4 hour when I realised that I hadn't had any interest on the cheese. I thought I may be baited but instead found the bait intact but covered in horrible slimy weed. That rig obviously wasn't going to succeed so I rigged it up with paternoster and the same 4/0 hook. That worked fine as I got a small MC on it straight away. I moved a few times and also got some shrimps which went into the aerator to keep them alive. The next spot was firing but I couldn't keep them out of the snags and ended up losing rig after rig. Moved again and got 1 more small MC before they stopped biting altogether. I collected the shrimp net and headed back towards the boat ramp. One more spot to try on the way back. I put chicken on the 4/0 hook and live shrimps on the 3/0 rig. The shrimps got hit after about 10 mins and a nice little Trout Cod was landed. Time to pull up stumps and head for home. Water temp was 19.8c and there was a good flow in the river, first time in years   bn     ... 1st Murray Cod1249849203_P1010809(1)rs.jpg.550f330f8f3b8d78ee4114d801f7ce80.jpgP1010814rs.jpg.3365b3f3eb6439cc12ca2f66ed9d3243.jpgP1010811rs.jpg.08df83f743d27c70f29f544cff93bef0.jpgP1010812rs.jpg.72ed2f99e9cf4dad58eedbf860e12ea3.jpgP1010813rs.jpg.3adeee8dc03dbbc4ca70a6f2751d7a2e.jpg

P1010810 (1)rs.jpg

• Like 10

Looks like the water level is up quiet a bit. good thing, but more water for the fish to hide in. You done well and I'm sure there is plenty more to come.

Lost another mate on Thursday, funeral Wednesday, Mates are getting fewer.

Frank

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Always nice to fish home waters BN. Looks like a good time on the water. Do you ever throw soft plastics or spinner baits for them? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Yes Scratchie. Spinnerbaits are a very effective lure for all native species found in the Murrumbidgee. They don't snag up as easily as hard body lures and especially soft plastics. I have tried sps but they get snagged too easily in the very snag ridden river. bnIMG_6417resize.jpg.86fce168d425361895bcd66f8e3710db.jpg

• Like 1

HI BN,

That river looks mighty, healthy and great to see it flowing nicely!

Nice fish and the conditions look so peaceful compared to our adventure of North Head.

Hopefully you get to take the boat out more often and cover more ground.

GGG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Triple G said:

HI BN,

That river looks mighty, healthy and great to see it flowing nicely!

Nice fish and the conditions look so peaceful compared to our adventure of North Head.

Hopefully you get to take the boat out more often and cover more ground.

GGG

Thanks Greg. I've been out today. Covered some old territory and explored some new. Great day, left them biting. Report to follow tomorrow. Cheers, Neil