Live bait tank pump and scoop

nosliw

Hey Raiders,

Recently purchased a boat (Formosa) which has a live bait tank although requires plumbing.

Internal bilge looks a lot cleaner although I’m looking for some guidance:

- any pros and cons of a through hull (scoop on the bottom of the hull vs elbow on the rear of the transom)?

- any concerns using plastic parts considering the boat will be taken offshore? E.g could the scoop break and let water in.

- are these safe with an isolator installed? Anyone had any bad experiences? If you do have a Leak how would you even know (before it’s too late)?

Thanks in advance.

85BB4275-E2C4-4557-9A92-BF267A1DB88D.png

I made my own scoop and attached it to the johnson live bait tank kit I got. one, I connected a tap on the inside of my transom. When I have a PVC scoop on it, it seemed to force water in too much when underway and i didn't notice till I saw all the water above the floor. I had to turn the bilge pump on and I lifted the floor up and turned the tap so it was isolated. I put the mesh back on it, and I now have to manually prime it by pouring a bucket of water in to the tank to get it working. I'm not overly happy with the setup and might end up going to something different.

I fix this type to the transom on each boat I own. Make sure the live bait tank is well sealed up under the top lip of the tank itself or water will run into the boat from the tank as water swills around from a rocking boat. Many tanks are fitted but not sealed, try getting a garden hose in the tank and spray around the top to check its sealed well, is not you will need a tube of sealant and most likely need to push it in with your fingers.

355007104_ScreenShot2020-12-15at10_03_16am.png.92e9aeb038ca691ae6707d30c52e2f76.png

• Like 2

I have alloy scoop on transome fitted on slide I  got from usual online site.  Slide allows you to adjust as well as being able to get it out of way should you have to do a beach retrieval etc.  Consider an inline gate valve to turn off or adjust flow if too fast.  Ron 

On 12/15/2020 at 11:30 AM, back cruncher said:

Hi all.... my bait tanks fill with the straight pipe with a cut angle on the bottom while under way.

Thanks. Yours sounds like what I’m after do you have any pics? Also what metal is the scoop made out of?

On 12/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, noelm said:

I personally would put one on the back, plastic through hulls should be banned (in my opinion) most alloy boats have a transducer bracket on both sides, so it's easy to fit a scoop on the unused one.

Noel have you ever actually known one to fail? , certainly the tubing used to hook it to the tank could fail but the way those pumps work means that water wont go through unless the pump is on

If I was to put a hole on the bottom of my boat, I have two on mine from factory, I would only use a bronze seacock and a clam type scoop. I wouldn't do that in a tinny that's for sure . Do what John D has suggested that is the best ( personal opinion) for an ally hull. Fitted correct you get water in the tank while stationary or slow moving using the pump and when under way no pump required the pressure will force it in the tank.

I have the scoop with a pump fitted as well water pressure is great when moving no need to have pump on.other thing I did was fit a y valve so I can run another hose to wash stuff just make sure to turn off tap on valve plenty of times I've driven off only to stop and realise I've got shitloads of water at back of boat