Murrumbidgee is firing

big Neil

Took the boat out at "gentlemen's hours" today. Different area than last week but even more productive. I visited some familiar locations and then finished the session with a good hour of exploration...all very useful information. I headed upstream from the ramp and the water was fantastic. The river has NOT been this good since 2015, when incidentally, the fishing was great also.

First spot. I put the shrimp net in loaded up with soap and ran 2 rods, both with cheese on paternoster rigs. I had chicken strips but it was still frozen. Less than 2 minutes and a very healthy MC of 50cm was in the landing net. The bites kept coming and I landed several more undersized fish. I had a run in with what I believe was an "old friend" who took me straight into his snag. I tried everything to land him but he was too smart. I ended up getting busted off. Way back in 2015 I caught him on this snag. He measured 79cms then, and although I didn't catch a glimpse of him this time, I reckon it was him. By now he would be more than a metre. Anyway, that's 1-1 all.

The bites stopped after the tussle with him and the next spot produced a turtle of about 60cms with his neck out. The chicken had thawed enough so I did a double paternoster with cheese and chicken. The bites continued and I landed a very hefty looking 60 cm Cod which I released. I was still in familiar territory and still getting a few fish, but not a single one on the chicken. I had scored some shrimps and the 60cm Cod took a nice bunch of live shrimps.

There was no shade where I was fishing so I headed downstream past the boat ramp to explore some new territory. A couple of new snags caused a few lost fish and busted lines but I managed to get a few more and found a few new spots too. All up (I lost count) I estimate about a dozen Murray Cod with 2 "legal" (over 55cms). All were released to get bigger and breed more Cod. Cheers, bn

P1010819rs.jpg.69edd3508aff0106eb77d7f52e1eee99.jpgP1010817rs.jpg.140063e773510611d0e2fab60c9edce0.jpgP1010820rs.jpg.ad2f5464d87f578a1dc93d4dc9648234.jpgP1010821rs.jpg.e86fdef314e336673a4b0ecbdb82563b.jpgP1010825rs.thumb.jpg.b2ad8f69f553a7326ae211960f24b5f7.jpgP1010829rs.jpg.697662d536d7bf4cde96db4757558f81.jpgP1010823rs.jpg.8d6f53c1f34eaf3e5bd271fc76fa4371.jpgP1010822rs.jpg.99a80efc56950c0ba75dcb96f3d92cf1.jpgP1010827rs.jpg.2c78642115debdf5a7628d3ebb8442a4.jpg

P1010824rs.jpg

• Like 7

Fantastic work BN.

Cheese & chicken.........................................sounds to easy :biggrinthumb:

But if your not eating those cod save some of that bait for dinner 😉 😂

I know the code is to release but when I get my 1st legal I will have no problem eating it as its a fish I just have to try.

• Like 1

Thanks for the report Neil. You are making it sound so easy. Gentlemans hours, bait from the fridge at home - no cranky black yabbies fortified with McWilliams Cream Sherry. Sounds like you have your own "Whiskers" issue!!. Don't come up to the mid north coast - too much water mixed in with the fish this week and for a while. How does Gogeldrie Weir look these days? Hoods

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

Thanks for the report Neil. You are making it sound so easy. Gentlemans hours, bait from the fridge at home - no cranky black yabbies fortified with McWilliams Cream Sherry. Sounds like you have your own "Whiskers" issue!!. Don't come up to the mid north coast - too much water mixed in with the fish this week and for a while. How does Gogeldrie Weir look these days? Hoods

G'day Hoods. The entire river is much improved on the past 5 years. Gogelderie Weir is around the 6m mark and there is a good flow downstream to Darlington Point. I would like to get back to the mid north coast sometime but not for a while. Cheers, bn

Good work there B.N.

Dumb arsed turtle sticking his gob where it is not wanted.

A couple of years ago I was up in the Barraba/ Bingara area with the van, and the locals suggested chicken flavoured chips for bait. The water was rather low at that time, so did not give it a go.

One of the kids snagged a legal cod on the chips whilst I was there, so might try it next time.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Triple G said:

Looks great and plenty of activity out there BN,

I may need to take a detour next time I am passing through Wagga and plan a quick session!

Hopefully the turtle did alright, looks like a deep hook up for the big guy.

Yep it was well hooked and there's no way you can unhook them without getting scratched to death by their very sharp claws. I just cut the line, other people kill them. Certainly get in touch if you are ever down this way. Till then keep at it, plenty of good opportunities there for the taking. bn