Selleys Araldite 5 Minute on rod tips.

leonardgid

hello again raiders , so i got the replacement rod tips  and ive checked on line , most of the advice i found  was about using hot glue ,comes in 2 different grades  , and/or use   24 hour araldite ,  now the thing is that i came across a sale in my local supermarket  that had  5 minute araldite for a fifth of the price  so i bought a number of tubes , has anyone used the 5 minute  araldite on rod tips in the past? is it suitable , i would like your advice on this one before i go ahead  with it , thank you for your advice .

I built/repaired rods semi professionally for quite some time and 5 minute araldite was all I used for glueing tips. I figured if that was what Ian Miller used and recommended it was good enough for me.

The advantage of quick set over 24 hour is once you have your tip glued and set in place, the faster drying time means there's less time to accidentally bump it and knock it out of alignment.

Its still relatively easy to remove a tip that's been epoxied if necessary with indirect heat, though not as easy as hot melt glue.

IMO, if you're prepared to put on a decent quality tip and look after it, go the 5 minute. If you're tough on your gear and likely to be replacing the tip somewhere down the track, hot melt might be for you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I built/repaired rods semi professionally for quite some time and 5 minute araldite was all I used for glueing tips. I figured if that was what Ian Miller used and recommended it was good enough for me.

The advantage of quick set over 24 hour is once you have your tip glued and set in place, the faster drying time means there's less time to accidentally bump it and knock it out of alignment.

Its still relatively easy to remove a tip that's been epoxied if necessary with indirect heat, though not as easy as hot melt glue.

IMO, if you're prepared to put on a decent quality tip and look after it, go the 5 minute. If you're tough on your gear and likely to be replacing the tip somewhere down the track, hot melt might be for you.

thank you , 

• Like 1