2nd attempt at skutes

kingie chaser

Hi raiders, merry xmas to all.

Tried this in 2018 & now I look at my original attemps I sort have to have a bit of a chuckle but yet everything is a leaning curve.

So enter Skute 2.0

Just started with a new aray of materials & learning from different sources.

I am calling this one "the lion"

skute1.thumb.jpg.d14d1e8e83daecbde9df71af4b704b44.jpg

The next one in the series will be called "the whisker's slayer" 🤣

Dedicated to the next NB snapper trip.

Not sure how they will go but I will trying to target different species with different weights & different colour patterns.

Im just starting really but to me its more just a bit of a hobby within a hobby & while I can buy bucktail jigs to me its the feeling I will get out of producing a fish from something that I have made with my own hands that will give me the most satisfaction.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Look good KC, not too bulked out.

Hope it produces for you.

Yes it will be interesting to get some results when I start using a few different one.

I have seen some on the net that are huge puffy things with long trails & you cant even see the hooks

To me you dont want them tolong otherwise it will probably be like using oversized SP's to the hook size, you just end up losing the back end of the plastic & hook up less fish.

The main target at the start will be flathead but I know they are pretty affective on snapper as well.

Just a bit of fun anyway 👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Yes it will be interesting to get some results when I start using a few different one.

I have seen some on the net that are huge puffy things with long trails & you cant even see the hooks

To me you dont want them tolong otherwise it will probably be like using oversized SP's to the hook size, you just end up losing the back end of the plastic & hook up less fish.

The main target at the start will be flathead but I know they are pretty affective on snapper as well.

Just a bit of fun anyway 👍

I have no experience whatsoever with skutes, but a fair bit with saltwater fly.

I assume the "huge puffy things" you refer to would slim down when wet, like the ones those Big Angry Fish guys use.

I agree with you 100% on tying them relatively short too. Not too short though, as you don't want to impair the tail action of the scoot.

From a fly side of things, Google a clouser minnow. They are a terrific flathead (along with most other species) fly and I don't see why they wouldn't be effective tied on a jighead. A bonus is you don't need a stack of different materials and they're simple to tie.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

From a fly side of things, Google a clouser minnow. They are a terrific flathead (along with most other species) fly and I don't see why they wouldn't be effective tied on a jighead. A bonus is you don't need a stack of different materials and they're simple to tie.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

I have watched a fair bit ofdifferent youtubes from different people & you get a a little bit off some & morefromothers.

I have been basing what I am doing to start of with this guy, using some of the bucktail materials.

He seems to be pretty knowledgable & presents a good series of vids all be it for the northern hemisphere.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNa-v9eS67PqJTFV46PzzsQ

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Haha, nice one KC. 
That’s way better than the attempts I’ve tried. When the skipper came up, it was so quiet, that I gave his skute a go! He called it “the dart”. Cause that’s how it casted. 
Just can’t drag myself away from what works 🤔

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, nice one KC. 
That’s way better than the attempts I’ve tried. When the skipper came up, it was so quiet, that I gave his skute a go! He called it “the dart”. Cause that’s how it casted. 
Just can’t drag myself away from what works 🤔

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers scratchie, still in the development stage & untested but hopefully they will have some success, whether more success than SP's well thats another story?

Still I just like working with my hands & they seem to work well in NZ so Idont see why they wont work here with the right colour patterns.

If it happens that I catch fish I think that is an even bigger reward for something I have made over pulling a packet of something off the shelf.

But I will still have some packets of SP's in the bag of course just in case nothing I am doing with these is working :whistling:😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update, I havent been fishing lately mostly due to the weather.

In saying that I looked at going yesterday thinking there would be a window in the morning before the rain & thunderstorms roll in, he fishing didnt eventuate but those storms sure did hit with a thud, winds reached 97kph in Botany bay apparently.

Anyway I have been continuing to make the skute in anticipation of getting out soon, the 4 on the left I am calling my practice run, the 4 on the right were the last 4 I did & I am starting to get the hang of it(I think anyway).

I bought some reflective glue on eyes which I will use on the normal jigheads but I also bought som TT Big Eye jigheads as well to try, never used them before so used some of then for the skutes & some I will throw some plastics on as well.

They arent cheap though @ $4 each, they do have another one called DemonZ that are a bit cheaper but dont look as nice

Hopefully later this week the weather will turn more favourable so I can give them a run & see if I can get some flatties on them.

Skute2.thumb.jpg.abd3f60a30c30d0448f0d8a0e5bdfe7e.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good KC. Its always worth trying something the fish haven't seen before.

Not sure where you got yours from, but fly tying specialty stores sell all sorts of eyes that are pretty cheap. I also bought a packet of eyes that look like your ones on the right from a craft store for a couple of bucks. 

• 7 months later...

Hey Guys

Haven't been on here for awhile but with this talk of skutes, thought I'd share of some success on some skates I tied for a mate. Only last week they both caught there pb snapper on the skutes I tied for them. The names on the bag of flies were just for a joke.

But my mates loves using them there like his secret weapon.

FullSizeR(3).jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Resized_20210125_065651.jpeg

Edited by Ben Hall

1 hour ago, Ben Hall said:

Hey Guys

Haven't been on here for awhile but with this talk of skutes, thought I'd share of some success on some skates I tied for a mate. Only last week they both caught there pb snapper on the skutes I tied for them. The names on the bag of flies were just for a joke.

But my mates loves using them there like his secret weapon.

FullSizeR(3).jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Resized_20210125_065651.jpeg

Nice to hear they are working for you.

Some nice snaps there 👍

I hope that this lockdown will be over by spring so I can have a second crack with the ones I have tied.

I should take advantage of this time to knock up a few more.

Thanks for the reminder 😉 

It's only day 2 lockdown for me. I haven't even got a skute for myself, only tied them for my mate. So I might have to tie some for myself as I will be tying flies anyway being stuck at home.

Hope they have inspired you.

2 hours ago, Ben Hall said:

It's only day 2 lockdown for me. I haven't even got a skute for myself, only tied them for my mate. So I might have to tie some for myself as I will be tying flies anyway being stuck at home.

Hope they have inspired you.

I got some new materials I haven't used yet so might knock a couple up tomorrow 

Kingie chaser

I don't know how fare you want to get into tying, but one place I buy materials is beastbrushes.com there is a clearance bin where there is cheap bucktail and other materials that didn't make the grade for fussy fly tyers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Ben Hall said:

Kingie chaser

I don't know how fare you want to get into tying, but one place I buy materials is beastbrushes.com there is a clearance bin where there is cheap bucktail and other materials that didn't make the grade for fussy fly tyers.

Thanks for the link, I would like to actually catch a few fish with what I have made 1st & then go from there.

I have a reasonable amount of stuff, but in saying that I would like to add another couple of bucktail colours & the thread in the clearance area looks cheap so yeh, cheers.

I have also looked at some things to add from the craft section in spotlight like chenillie sticks & different feathers which look like they will add to the kit well.

Just knocked this one up this morning 

Skute.thumb.jpg.9f8ae88e823d5cb7171785ab44630089.jpg

Just need to get freed from the cage & get some time on the water & try them out :thumbup:

If you do end ordering something through Beastbrushes let him know what you plan to do with it, as he will look for the best bucktail or material to suit what your doing. The bucktail clearance bin had heaps of colour awhile back but looks as if there's not as much left now.

Happy tying, and I will keep my eyes open to see when you post a capture on one of your skutes.