Bermagui/Lake Wallaga

Fish_More

Hi all

Have a site booked at Lake Wallaga for 2 weeks in January.  My wife will be there the whole time but I will only be there the second week.  Will be bringing an offshore boat (if the weather forecast is good) and hopefully a still to be acquired kayak for the river or lake.

Any guidance on places to give a go in the area, offshore, lake or river and also is the lake open to the ocean at the moment?

Only other thing is not sure how much fishing will get done as there is a brewery at the caravan park!  More importantly, does anybody know what their beers are like?

Mark

Cant help you with the fishing there as we go a bit further south and fish Wapengo, which is a shallow lake but fishes well.

The Bega river also fishes well, pump your nippers on the low tide and fish the start of the run in as the water starts running in over the Sand/Ribbon weed banks.

I'm no expert down that way, others would have more knowledge the myself but that's a good starting point.

As for Camel Rock Brewery, when I was down there in JulyI had a couple of Beers and they weren't to bad and I also had a paddle which would be a good starting point.

IMG_2508.jpeg

On another note take a walk up to Horse Head Rock, some great photos are to be had and a great view.

Edited by Blackfish

I guess like all lakes, rivers and so on, if you know what you're doing, you will catch fish, fresh pumped Nippers are always a good starting point, fishing where fish are likely to be doesn't change from place to place, and "secret spots" are the same along the entire coast. When fishing new locations I tend to just get a light spin rod, a few plastics in my pocket and "wander" you will soon find weed banks, channels, logs and rocky reefs, all potential new secret spots, and likely pick up a Flathead or other odds and ends while exploring, having a Kayak makes it 50 times easier, because you can cross the river or fish from tricky spots with ease.

Hey mate, I was down at bermagui a few months back. We caught good flatties in Bermagui river out of the boat.

3 weekends ago, an hour north of bermi we were getting blue spot flatties in 30m of water and they were ravenous.

Last weekend good snapper were still being caught from land a couple hours north of Bermi.

Hopefully this weather clears up and you have a nice trip.

13 hours ago, Bigflood said:

Hey mate, I’m heading to wallaga lake for a week from the 7th of Jan. Bringing the hobie with me so if your not already there I’ll let you know how I get on. 
Joel 

Thanks Joel.  I don't get there until 16th January, but be interested to hear how you go!

What sort of Hobie do you have?  Have been tossing up splurging on a Hobie to get into vs going something cheaper to try it out and if really getting into it, then getting a Hobie.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:38 PM, Fish_More said:

Thanks Joel.  I don't get there until 16th January, but be interested to hear how you go!

What sort of Hobie do you have?  Have been tossing up splurging on a Hobie to get into vs going something cheaper to try it out and if really getting into it, then getting a Hobie.

Hey Mate, 

Unfortunately with the borders closing to vic we cannot go on our holiday up the coast now. Absolutely shattered but it is what it is. I have an older model outback which does everything I need. I can fish the local rivers for bass and then open estuary’s chasing flathead and snapper.

I have fished out of a paddle yak once and it’s pretty hard going if you have and wind or tide, the peddle are just so good to use.

Anyway mate good luck and hopefully you get on to some great fish.

Cheers 

Joel