Bottom Bash Session - Bellambi

GoingFishing

Gday raiders

Headed out today with old mate Ralph chasing reds. Conditions were perfect for the entirety of the session with a slight breeze to keep us moving but no need of the sea anchor. It was so good to have a session where that painful sea anchor didn't have to come in every time we restart a drift.

We fished whole pillies initially but after a few slimies came onboard fresh flesh baits became the preferred. I soon had a blistering take but very quickly noticed the tail and headshakes were not "snappery" and were most definately Bonito. My suspicions confirmed when a circa 50cm bonito came onboard. We quickly dispatched it and used it for bait.

The fish were spread out today and very patchy, we boated a few every hour but by the end of the session we had a nice mixed bag with the reds going up to 45cm. A few flatties and pigfish thrown in too.

Overall a very pleasant day on the water. Had some snapper fillets for dinner tonight and dropped off a few at mums. 

I only have a few more summer bottom bash sessions planned the next few weeks before i dedicate 100% of my fishing time to boating a marlin this year. That is the first and only item on my 2021 fishing bucket list.

Whats everyones 2021 fishing ambition??

Thanks for reading.

Sam

20201226_125537.thumb.jpg.93ec02e2fd7db9b1aad44fcc26706e13.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 12

Nice box of pannies, and a few flatties thrown in as well.

My ambition is to keep fishing.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a lunch with old (older than me) retired workmates and friends. Heart attack, stroke, hip operation, knee operation, now on a walking stick, etc.

F****k. I just want to stay upright for a while longer.  :074:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A few Marlin caught yesterday, so, might be time to give it a go to get your first one

On 12/26/2020 at 7:42 PM, GoingFishing said:

Gday raiders

Headed out today with old mate Ralph chasing reds. Conditions were perfect for the entirety of the session with a slight breeze to keep us moving but no need of the sea anchor. It was so good to have a session where that painful sea anchor didn't have to come in every time we restart a drift.

We fished whole pillies initially but after a few slimies came onboard fresh flesh baits became the preferred. I soon had a blistering take but very quickly noticed the tail and headshakes were not "snappery" and were most definately Bonito. My suspicions confirmed when a circa 50cm bonito came onboard. We quickly dispatched it and used it for bait.

The fish were spread out today and very patchy, we boated a few every hour but by the end of the session we had a nice mixed bag with the reds going up to 45cm. A few flatties and pigfish thrown in too.

Overall a very pleasant day on the water. Had some snapper fillets for dinner tonight and dropped off a few at mums. 

I only have a few more summer bottom bash sessions planned the next few weeks before i dedicate 100% of my fishing time to boating a marlin this year. That is the first and only item on my 2021 fishing bucket list.

Thanks for reading.

Sam

20201226_125537.thumb.jpg.93ec02e2fd7db9b1aad44fcc26706e13.jpg

A couple of Marlin caught yesterday, might be a good time to have a go?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is to get the skills and confidence up to use my new (to me) boat for bottom bashing sessions precisely like the one you described here!  Ive spent many years honing my trout fishing game but I really want to put some effort into the salt in 2021.