Blackfish Gear.

Rebel

Hi All,

I need some info on the following. Never been Luderick fishing so, what do I need. I have been doing some research ( Fishraider Forum ) and come up with the following. I will be fishing off the Rocks and Breakwalls.

11ft spin rod 7-15kg

4000spin reel

Sunline Floating special line  ( yellow ) or a good 15kg Mono.

Daiichi 2171 Size 8 hook or Mustad 540 or Mustad needle weed 3331npgr. Hooks can be size 8 or 10. Please advise.

Floats. What lengh floats do I buy.

Your help will be appreciated

I reckon an 11ft rod might be ok, but 12 would be better. Don’t need a 15kg rod either, that’s overkill for a max 2kg fish. 5 to 7kg rod would be plenty.

Have no idea how big a 4000 spin real, however just get something to balance the rod

15kg mono is also overkill for Luderick, I run 16lb Dango float and an 8lb flouro leader.

Daiichi sIze 6 is a good size for off the rocks, 8 is also fine.

Floats are many and varied to suit the conditions. Just make sure they a balanced right, no body showing, just the floats stem.

Edited by Burger
  • Like 2

Nope-light weight 10-12 ft rod, 8lb mono leader- you can use braid off a light spin reel no probs-i use a baitrunner with 8lb braid as the ability to control the float with the baitrunner function is much better than opening the bail arm-if you want to go old school use a centrepin-you need a few different floats to suit sea conditions -calm seas big float/lots of chop /swell current-bigger float-weight the stem so they stand up by themselves in the water and just add a few split shot below to get the bait down to depth-some float stoppers , hook choice is fine but size 6 and 8 the sizes you need on the rocks, some cleats and away you go.

• Like 3

Best off with 6kg soft action rod  luderick bump n bang when fightin em  soft rod is a must   centrepin reels give more control but spin will work i use 8lb braid on spin  8lb nylon traces  on my centrepin 12lb sunline  floatline  8lb mono traces  float size depends on conditions   i use 15  16 inch large floats with lead wrap on bottom of stem  two traces  long n short  size 8 mustad 540  or  any short shank chem sharpened     ps  15kg is way too heavy

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 5

I agree with those above regarding a light 11-12 foot rod.

A light 4000 (Shimano size) reel will balance with the rod. Down the track its definitely worth trying a centerpin or Alvey blackfish sidecast reel.

I've heard a lot of bad things regarding Sunline Floatline. Twisting badly on spin reels, losing its strength prematurely and sinking with age. Most prefer Dango Wax or plain mono with some vaseline added to keep it floating.

For floats and terminal tackle, I'll PM you a couple of websites that sell quality gear.

• Like 3

I used to do a lot of blackfish fishing off the rocks. C144 rod, alvey blackfish special sidecast, 8 pound mono main line with a 6 pound trace. I've used spin reels and just don't like them for this style of fishing; a centrepin types reel gives you much better line control. If your fishing places with little current spin reels are OK but I found centrepins much better in places where there is run. And try using a fixed float if the depth is less than a rod length, that often can work better too.

Fishing for blackfish is terrible, there is a real risk that it's all you'll want to do!

• Like 3