Coffs Harbour Offshore January

Squid Lips

G'day guys,

I'm heading up to Coffs next week and am hoping to target some Mahi Mahi, Kingfish or Mackerel. I was wondering if anyone had any reports from the FAD and if anyone could point me in the right direction for some yakkas/slimys before we head out? I was also thinking about trying some of the closer bommies with the downrigger. Any advice or area information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Might be a little early for macks , but dollies and kings should be around. There are a stack of livebait grounds off Coffs- the closest is the bommie just north of Muttonbird, there is also Bullocky straight out the front(excellent spottie mack grounds), the Trag grounds to the north, the close bait grounds to the north east and the wide bait grounds out the front of Split SOlitary , should be kings at the big island, maybe a 'hoo or two. Go to the big tackle store and you should be able to get the marks for all those bait grounds-just be aware of the marine park boundaries. I fish there a fair bit, best time of year for the macks and pelagics in general is Autumn but you could well be in with a chance of a small black if you tow a slimy around-weve caught them as close in as Little Muttonbird-good luck