Fellow Raider cops a verbal from an ignorant "Karen"

M1100S

• M1100S changed the title to Fishraider member "shroom" is famous...

I saw this on @nbdshroom's youtube page the other day & though he handled himself very well.

I can imagine what I think I would have said when the women asked me for my fishing licence :ranting2:

I think I would have called the police for harrasment myself.

I have seen the majority of his posts on here & watched most of Shroom's vids on youtube & he is pretty much only catch & release & always strives to get the fish back into the water alive & well. 

What can you say, some people just have NFI!

Its people like this that would like to see your right's to fish at all be disallowed, futher more before they open their mouth they should actually look up fishing rules so they actually know what they are talking about.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/balmain-karen-threatens-fisherman-with-police/news-story/cd65c028037ce731b87fa88ba0678d3d

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In my dim far past i was indeed a senior Police Officer.  If I was to relieve a complaint from a woman that complained about a catch and release, she would be informed that it is a sport called fishing and the young man was quite within his rights to either keep the fish, if was of a legal size, or release it. 

This is not a Police issue and please do not contact us again with such trival issues.  We are much to busy , trying to assist people that have legislate issues that require  our intervention.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I saw that video too.

Shroom absolutely did the right thing and handled himself well. From the DPI website, it says that even if a fish is dead or injured on capture, you cannot keep it. I came across this rule the other day when I was checking something else:

image.thumb.png.6c88da915d9bf0c4259bd8d22d867d4e.png

This rule always confused me a bit (if a fish is dead, why waste it?), but I guess there are unscrupulous types who would dispatch an undersize/over-bag-limit fish and claim it was fatally injured in capture. There is probably also an argument for keeping the fish in the aquatic food chain.

• Thanks 1

Pete @nbdshroom is a well known raider a long time before his social media channels. He advanced his fishing interests on fishraider when he was completing his uni degree/s.

He became a moderator on my team here at fishraider for many years. He also assisted at our socials and was a tutor at our Soft Plastics fishing days that we held for members and guests. He is intelligent and a good communicator. 

Pete is very versed in the rules and regulations around fishing. He did respond very well to that woman. Let's not dwell on "Karen" but use his response as an example for all raiders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

In my dim far past i was indeed a senior Police Officer.  If I was to relieve a complaint from a woman that complained about a catch and release, she would be informed that it is a sport called fishing and the young man was quite within his rights to either keep the fish, if was of a legal size, or release it. 

This is not a Police issue and please do not contact us again with such trival issues.  We are much to busy , trying to assist people that have legislate issues that require  our intervention.  

@bessell1955You would be entirely correct I suspect. You would know how busy they would have been on NYE at that time!

• Thanks 1

I have seen a few videos on YouTube showing this sort of stuff , one was at Albert park in Victoria and the guy got harassed and threatened by a Karen  because he was disturbing the ducks !

Anyhow Shroom just got another subscriber , He has some good videos on his channel !

• Thanks 1

Even though he kept his cool, these experience will often spoil your day and put you off going to certain areas. 

Some of these anti fishing people can be very frustrating and its about time they were prosecuted for harassment I these cases. We currently have a large group of people pushing for lockouts down here and post story's that are total lies that make headline news in the press. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JonD said:

Even though he kept his cool, these experience will often spoil your day and put you off going to certain areas. 

Some of these anti fishing people can be very frustrating and its about time they were prosecuted for harassment I these cases. We currently have a large group of people pushing for lockouts down here and post story's that are total lies that make headline news in the press. 

Well new laws have been passed about social media harrasment & I would think the usual harrasment & defamation laws are still in place.

We have been down this path before & won because we had enough support.

I dont think people realise just how much both fishing & hunting for that matter inject into the Australian economy per annum!

Recreational fishing & associated spending brings approx 4 billion dollars into the nation economy economy, maybe more.

Its been reported that in W.A alone it injected as much as 2.4 billion in 2019-

https://recfishwest.org.au/media-release/western-australias-2-4-billion-lifestyle/

Just imagine what it would be here in NSW.

Recreational hunting isnt far behind either, reportedly worth 2.4 billion in 2019 to the aussie economy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-24/hunting-contributes-more-than-2-billion-dollars-to-economy/11539746#:~:text=Australia's hunters and shooters contributed,by the Department of Health.

Cut both & there would be a lot of hurt in both regional & city areas & the knock on effect through associated businesses would be massive.

And while I agree that there needs to be a balance where species are not depleted or breeding grounds affected.

I dont think direct lockouts do anything but affect local economies.

If you were to severely restrict fishing in NSW coastal towns imo it would turn them into ghost towns!

Then again with the increasing yearly population(pre covid) where most new immigation ends up in the cities there are more people leaving the cities for regional areas so I guess they will always grow?

Sorry all, a bit off topic but then again its all related!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Pete @nbdshroom is a well known raider a long time before his social media channels. He advanced his fishing interests on fishraider when he was completing his uni degree/s.

He became a moderator on my team here at fishraider for many years. He also assisted at our socials and was a tutor at our Soft Plastics fishing days that we held for members and guests. He is intelligent and a good communicator. 

Pete is very versed in the rules and regulations around fishing. He did respond very well to that woman. Let's not dwell on "Karen" but use his response as an example for all raiders. 

I was at that day, and Pete was the one who first taught me soft plastics. I also follow his YouTube channel. Never was the more of a gentleman on the water. That Karen was lucky, with some of the hotheads I see fishing, she’s lucky she didn’t go for a swim.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JonD said:

It is not only fishing, there are other groups who fabricate lies to push their views (will not elaborate here so as not to offend some people, however, I will tell you face to face over a drink or 3)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1