Tinny seats; structural?

Swaz

Wondering if tinny seats provide structural integrity to the boat. i.e if I remove the middle one of the three I may/ will weaken things.

Haven't got the boat yet, musing about putting in the cliche deck.

Guest Guest123456789

Have you got a photo?

The bench seat itself is normally positioned between two ribs which provides most of the strength. Often the seats have foam which if you remove might make the hull negatively buoyant (ie it will sink not float if overturned). Which can mean the boat is not legal and your insurance won’t cover you in the event of an accident (aside from the risk of harm to you and your passengers).

If there is no foam in the seat you might be ok to remove it if though it might be worthwhile to add a rib with a metal fabricator.

Personally I wouldn’t do it as it’s pretty risky.

Guest Guest123456789

Good stuff Swaz. Definitely fish in it a few times before doing anything major as you might find it’s ok as is.

8 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Good stuff Swaz. Definitely fish in it a few times before doing anything major as you might find it’s ok as is.

Good advice and funny you say that. I had already planned mods for it and then was told it had some swivel seats, rod holders etc already there.

the motor is 20 years old but comes with a full service history and detailed log book of every trip it has ever been on! 

Guest Guest123456789

I’d leave it mate you’ll work out how to fish around it. You could make a cool casting platform and use the void as storage if you’re a lure fisherman.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Some boats have both, wide gunnels are an option on some boats and standard on others, but without the seats, that boat will be very flimsy.

I will just have to work around them then :)

Would cutting into the side of them to install storage not weaken things and remove emergency buoyancy  

I thought @frankS put some side rod storage into his brooker when he was doing some mods??

If it wasnt franks it was someone else but I did see someone on here do it.

What is it you want to store??

Personally I would be touching the seat, if I was to put in storage I think I would be using from the front seat into the bow area.

The other option would be to put in a false bottom deck & then build some storage on either side.

Remembering of course the weight distribution whould need to be pretty ever.

This ia a picture off the net.

1728992496_tinnymods.jpg.40153c7cdadf6eccfdc3307a8dbb11ee.jpg

I made 2 decks in my old Quintrex becase I wanted a better casting platform,

1307178089_motorveiw-small.thumb.JPG.a2346611b3f72d43eaf5238bece8b1bc.JPG

they are removable, I could make some storage compartments for the sides like or the same thing in the deck in front but to me I would rather have the freedom to move things around

1706625771_Sidestorage.thumb.JPG.ca9825e38cf7024b3aa9c3f0ef96ca15.JPG

Pretty much the only thing I really want to put in is some rod holders.

I do intend to do what I was suggesting earlier & put in a hatch storage area from the front of the front seat into the bow.

Also you need to remember if you are going to make a perminant floor you would need to fit a bilge pump as well.

Good luck with it :thumbup:

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I

Also you need to remember if you are going to make a perminant floor you would need to fit a bilge pump as well.

In the interests of keeping things simple, I think I will leave it how it is for a while. A false floor would be great for comfort, but putting in a bilge pump, battery etc instead of getting out on the water and enjoying it doesn't seem logical.