Hot calamari run/mixed bag

danielsydney

Headed out around 11am today in lovely conditions in the hope of some more big calamari. Landed 12 in quick succession with the majority being 35cm+ hoods. 

Marked some rats while squidding and sent a head down which got smashed while I was onto another squid - doubles! King just short at 63cm. Repeated the process for another 62cm rat. 

After picking up a big angry cuttle which absolutely peeled drag shortly after I decided to move on to a nearby reef for some fish for the table.The one cuttle candle produced two pannies 36/38cm, 2 solid blue spots (biggest going 59cm), blue mowy, pigfish & wrasse. Found a nice patch of sand for more flatties which I left on the chew & headed for home as the storm clouds rolled in.

Happy New Year!

Dan

Screenshot_20210105-222703_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-222722_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-222736_Gallery.jpg

20210105_222849.jpg

• Like 8

Has he ever!  Top effort and very tasty. Strangely enough I never try for calamari offshore- but you have got me very interested. 
Do you add a jig to a paternoster or dedicate a rod and jig just targeting the green eyes? Is the technique similar to inshore?

cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Has he ever!  Top effort and very tasty. Strangely enough I never try for calamari offshore- but you have got me very interested. 
Do you add a jig to a paternoster or dedicate a rod and jig just targeting the green eyes? Is the technique similar to inshore?

cheers Zoran 

Dedicated rod and jig Zoran. I run a 2500 stradic on an emeraldas 83M which provides fantastic sensitivity. Important to hold the bottom and jig aggressively to bring them in. Keep opening that bail as soon as you feel you've come up off the weed & repeat the process. It's a great way to target them & good fun too. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, danielsydney said:

Headed out around 11am today in lovely conditions in the hope of some more big calamari. Landed 12 in quick succession with the majority being 35cm+ hoods. 

Marked some rats while squidding and sent a head down which got smashed while I was onto another squid - doubles! King just short at 63cm. Repeated the process for another 62cm rat. 

After picking up a big angry cuttle which absolutely peeled drag shortly after I decided to move on to a nearby reef for some fish for the table.The one cuttle candle produced two pannies 36/38cm, 2 solid blue spots (biggest going 59cm), blue mowy, pigfish & wrasse. Found a nice patch of sand for more flatties which I left on the chew & headed for home as the storm clouds rolled in.

Happy New Year!

Dan

Screenshot_20210105-222703_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-222722_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-222736_Gallery.jpg

20210105_222849.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-223036_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Another great squid session in a number of days @danielsydney, awesome! Some crackers there and looks like you have them worked out in your area!

I put a post on your other thread from Saturday similar to Zorans questions around the rig used, are you just using a single large squid jig (33g) without a sinker?

1 hour ago, lakelad said:

Another great squid session in a number of days @danielsydney, awesome! Some crackers there and looks like you have them worked out in your area!

I put a post on your other thread from Saturday similar to Zorans questions around the rig used, are you just using a single large squid jig (33g) without a sinker?

Cheers!

Yep just a single jig mate no paternoster or ball sinker. I find it just moves more naturally being in control of the single jig. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fun2fish said:

Hi I've never tried for squid offshore either even though I've seen it on tv what sort of depths are you looking at. Only problem then is bait or dinner

Hey mate I usually focus on 20-30m depths in close off Sydney. Dinner more often than not at my place! 

Screenshot_20210107-120910_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks mate love a feed of calamari but always hoping for something nice if using for bait.last time in pittwater 2 squid caught tried for kings with no luck so ended up keeping them and getting a couple of blue spots can't complain at all

• Like 1