How much is this worth?

Swaz

1960 something Clark 12" tinny with a 15hp Mariner motor. It is rough and the trailer is home made from who knows when! It has some sentimental value as it is my Dad and his best mates first boat. May trips to Montague Island is this this plus all sorts of other adventures. The motor has a full service history, and I mean FULL. Every trip, flush and service has been documented. It stopped being used in about 2018, however it was started regularly and maintained as needed (all documented!) Trailer has new tyres and bearing.

I have been asked to make an offer on it. Interested in the brains trust knowledge on what would be a reasonable offer and also what do I need to take into account for future expenditure. A new trailer at some stage I would say.

9-B802-FA9-7144-475-B-9-CD4-F9-F1-ED1-DAF28.jpg

261891928_IMG_27382.thumb.jpeg.1141dac9647e7e3d9b41c9b26ab6d1db.jpeg

44817650_IMG_27402.thumb.jpeg.2ce77106308a1465f05fa67e4456de95.jpeg

835940840_IMG_27422.thumb.jpeg.b834c83076afc79462bc14b9abbc6d0d.jpeg

Edited by Swaz
no links to storage - add pics directly here
  • Like 1

You seem to be having trouble loading the photo ! . Anyway seems as how it was your dad's boat ( and friend ) I would have thought any offer would secure it, but that aside, a old Clark ( which were very tough boats ) and old 15hp motor regardless of how well it's been documented . without seeing photos, my guess is around $1000 should secure it, unless it is in exceptional condition ( like as looks almost new ) the trailer could be worth anything from nothing to several hundred dollars IF it is registered, if not registered it's pretty well scrap metal.

Hope this gives some idea. But keep trying to load photos so we can give more accurate opinions.

Frank

35 minutes ago, frankS said:

You seem to be having trouble loading the photo ! . Anyway seems as how it was your dad's boat ( and friend ) I would have thought any offer would secure it, but that aside, a old Clark ( which were very tough boats ) and old 15hp motor regardless of how well it's been documented . without seeing photos, my guess is around $1000 should secure it, unless it is in exceptional condition ( like as looks almost new ) the trailer could be worth anything from nothing to several hundred dollars IF it is registered, if not registered it's pretty well scrap metal.

Hope this gives some idea. But keep trying to load photos so we can give more accurate opinions.

Frank

Thanks Frank. Hopefully the photo links work. I am not sure what to make from the "make an offer once you see it" deal. Originally a figure of $800 was thrown around. Low? High? I am not sure. Everything is registered and road/ sea worthy.

Edited by Swaz

Swaz. Mate that motor looks the goods and with saying that, IF you can get the outfit for under $1000 , I would grab it.

And seems as how the trailer has rego I wouldn't worry about how or who made it as long as it's not rusted I would be keeping it for a while.

Think you could have a decent old boat to enjoy many hours, years of fun in.

Frank

22 minutes ago, frankS said:

Swaz. Mate that motor looks the goods and with saying that, IF you can get the outfit for under $1000 , I would grab it.

And seems as how the trailer has rego I wouldn't worry about how or who made it as long as it's not rusted I would be keeping it for a while.

Think you could have a decent old boat to enjoy many hours, years of fun in.

Frank

It has some rust and has an odd tap type tow ball coupling, but just got towed from the south coast home with no issues. I am thinking $800 is a good place to start. I plan to paint it, look for a new trailer, casting deck, sounder etc. once winter sets in and I am not using it.

Swaz. Shame you are so far away from me. Nothing I like more than customizing a boat and playing around with trailers.

I don't do painting these days as I have emphysema but was a spray painter ( as well as other things ) in my younger days.

I have a 14" Brooker boat that I have done quiet a few mods on and started to strip it down for painting, then I woke up to myself and came to the fact that I am just not fit enough these days to be doing things like that.

As I can't afford to pay anyone to do the job, it is going to stay as it is .

Frank1623945267_20180928_091913bt.thumb.jpg.0412bf8e44b4e13f4b1270cc6db6b926.jpg

Frank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Swaz. Shame you are so far away from me. Nothing I like more than customizing a boat and playing around with trailers.

I don't do painting these days as I have emphysema but was a spray painter ( as well as other things ) in my younger days.

I have a 14" Brooker boat that I have done quiet a few mods on and started to strip it down for painting, then I woke up to myself and came to the fact that I am just not fit enough these days to be doing things like that.

As I can't afford to pay anyone to do the job, it is going to stay as it is .

Frank

Frank

Not that far away! Although I am staying away from your neck of the woods at the moment *cough cough Corona*

Do you have a thread on your mods mate? I am going to use this boat for a while before I decide on what to do. However I know I want some marine carpeted areas and some storage for the anchor and basic fishing tackle and rods. Would really appreciate your input!

I might put up a thread and show a few of the things I have done to my little project, but bear in mind everything has been done pretty well on the cheap, no fancy stuff.

Will try and get something happening tomorrow while watching the Cricket on the box.

Frank

Just my opinion but the trailer is worth nothing.

The motor doesn't look like it's 60's but even if it is with a full service history & functioning it's still not worth a great deal.

Not familiar with the make of hull.

Don't spend much, the less you spend the bigger the budget on the upgrades.

As Dave has said, is it all registered & does the boat have a HIN?

Swaz has stated in his 2nd post that everything is registered and road worthy.

Clark boats were built tough and with a paint job that little boat should come up OK, $800 would be good buying and later on down the track he could buy a half decent 2nd hand trailer. OR I could make him one for not much money.

Swaz Just make sure you keep fresh fuel up to it. IF you haven't used the boat for about 4 months throw the fuel out and buy fresh fuel. A outfit like that just buy 10 ltrs at a time that way you probably wont use it all in one trip and you won't be wasting it.

Frank

On 1/9/2021 at 8:48 AM, frankS said:

2nd hand trailer. OR I could make him one for not much money.

Swaz Just make sure you keep fresh fuel up to it. IF you haven't used the boat for about 4 months throw the fuel out and buy fresh fuel. A outfit like that just buy 10 ltrs at a time that way you probably wont use it all in one trip and you won't be wasting it.

Frank

Great tip frank. Thank you. I won’t have an issue burning through 20L of fuel these school holidays, it’s quite thirsty going flat stick with 4 people in it haha. 

I am going to send you a PM so we can talk trailers and other mods!

On 1/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, motiondave said:

I'm tempted to buy it all for $800 as the motor is of interest, and I'd sell off the rest for $300. 

Where are you located?

It’s not for sale sorry, I only just got it. The motor is in fantastic condition. Old yes, but in my opinion, a way better engine than some cheap direct from COVID Country options.