Still alive and still fishing. Kings on fly.

luderick -angler

19 hours ago, blaxland said:

What is it about flys that attracts king fish? jerky retrieve, sinking unweighted ? surely this can be replicated on a spin outfit?

There are times when kings are tuned in like trout on a particular bait and it is tiny, the only feasible way is to present that imitation on a fly rod, them there’s the times it don’t matter. But kings on fly are so much fun. To me it’s about the cast the presentation and finally the take. Job done landing the fish is a bonus. There’s a lot of feel in fly casting and the visual takes are spectacular. 

3 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

There are times when kings are tuned in like trout on a particular bait and it is tiny, the only feasible way is to present that imitation on a fly rod, them there’s the times it don’t matter. But kings on fly are so much fun. To me it’s about the cast the presentation and finally the take. Job done landing the fish is a bonus. There’s a lot of feel in fly casting and the visual takes are spectacular. 

I get it but I see flys 4 and 5" getting fish when the hatch is 1 inch

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

I get it but I see flys 4 and 5" getting fish when the hatch is 1 inch

Aggressive reactionary takes! Works sometimes but not all the time. My point is I prefer the whole package of fly over spin and with flies some fibres impart a very fishy swim with the way the fibres move. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome fish on fly, must have kept you busy for a while!

Some tense moments near a few pylons and oyster covered rocks! Average fight time was 5-6 minutes. You actually subdue kings quicker on fly than spin gear. The fish is dragging that fly line with all the resistance and working against 9 foot of parabolic rod

21 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

Aggressive reactionary takes! Works sometimes but not all the time. My point is I prefer the whole package of fly over spin and with flies some fibres impart a very fishy swim with the way the fibres move. 

Might have to change from my cuddy to a center c lol