Jump to content

Still alive and still fishing. Kings on fly.


Recommended Posts

Nice grassy spot to be casting, well done, I enjoy fly fishing, mainly target more mundane species like Bream and Mullet, but it is good fun, even for a sad caster like me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it about flys that attracts king fish? jerky retrieve, sinking unweighted ? surely this can be replicated on a spin outfit?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, blaxland said:

What is it about flys that attracts king fish? jerky retrieve, sinking unweighted ? surely this can be replicated on a spin outfit?

 

 

There are times when kings are tuned in like trout on a particular bait and it is tiny, the only feasible way is to present that imitation on a fly rod, them there’s the times it don’t matter. But kings on fly are so much fun. To me it’s about the cast the presentation and finally the take. Job done landing the fish is a bonus. There’s a lot of feel in fly casting and the visual takes are spectacular. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

There are times when kings are tuned in like trout on a particular bait and it is tiny, the only feasible way is to present that imitation on a fly rod, them there’s the times it don’t matter. But kings on fly are so much fun. To me it’s about the cast the presentation and finally the take. Job done landing the fish is a bonus. There’s a lot of feel in fly casting and the visual takes are spectacular. 

 

I get it but I see flys 4 and 5" getting fish when the hatch is 1 inch

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blaxland said:

I get it but I see flys 4 and 5" getting fish when the hatch is 1 inch

 

Aggressive reactionary takes! Works sometimes but not all the time. My point is I prefer the whole package of fly over spin and with flies some fibres impart a very fishy swim with the way the fibres move. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome fish on fly, must have kept you busy for a while!

Some tense moments near a few pylons and oyster covered rocks! Average fight time was 5-6 minutes. You actually subdue kings quicker on fly than spin gear. The fish is dragging that fly line with all the resistance and working against 9 foot of parabolic rod

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Sempii predator fibre, buck tail, h2o SF blend and h20 baitfish brush

Nice, sound pretty similar to the gear I am using for my skutes that I just started tying.

Skute2.thumb.jpg.452de5d172f93896b4d024f8afadb538.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

Aggressive reactionary takes! Works sometimes but not all the time. My point is I prefer the whole package of fly over spin and with flies some fibres impart a very fishy swim with the way the fibres move. 

Might have to change from my cuddy to a center c lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      67,255
    • Total Posts
      545,180
×
×
  • Create New...