Pie Warmer

antonywardle

Been there Done that! novelty soon wore off, also been down the track of inverter and microwave, OK but best solution is simply a couple of thermos flasks with boiling water and Frankfurt's in them.

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The latest ones work very well, as I am a 4x4 camper I will be getting one for that reason.

When I get a bigger boat it will be used for both reasons.

There are a few around using different types of heating.

Im looking at either the travel buddy which is Aussie made from local & foreign parts & the road chef which is Chinese made.

The problem I have with the travel buddy is the door is not insulated & the latch is a but flimsy. Both can be changed with aftermarket parts at extra cost.

Here is a comparison 

You have to make sure you have a dual battery system as these chew through the juice.

Of course you can also just throw in a $25 suitcase butane burner & a frypan/pan & just do stuff suited to that.

When I go camping, depending on the length of trip I do a combination of fresh cooked meals but also my own premade meals which are can be anything from Italian meals like chicken cacciatore or chicken bosciola to a good old fashioned Aussie beef stew, put into vacuum sealed bags & simmered in water for 20-30 minutes.

Still an oven would be good for pies & similar items or even reheating a Sunday roast.

• Like 1

Been looking at the same ovens as already have the cheaper version black box type  which once sorted out work ok. The cigarette socket burns out causing major dramas whilst on the water.  Connect directly to the battery problem solved. Also food sweats no ventilation the proper ovens have vents allowing pastry to cook properly check out u tube big dollar difference. With some extra work the same result can be obtained but nowhere near the same capacity. Both use heaps of power. Support Australia go the travel buddy. Cannot find any Sydney distributor to get one of the shelf only online. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Support Australia go the travel buddy. 

Thats all well & good as long as the Australian made product is up to as goos as if not better than any other similar product no matter where it is from.

I mean after recent events I'dlike to boycott all chinese products but 

The 2 units above are virtually the same price, to me the build quality of the chinese made product vs the Aussie made product is there to see for yourself.

At the end of the day I just want the best product for my money.

I actually emailed the company that makes the travel buddy ovens 12 months ago to ask why they didnt use a better latch or an insulated door, which to me is safer & improves performance especially when your talking 12V, I didnt even mention the wiring & other items as in the video.

They responded by saying our product is our product, take it or leave it & we have no intensions of making any changes which I took that they were not willing to keep up with a competitor that is making a better product & just bank on the fact they put them together in Victoria but mind you from mostly foriegn parts.

I was a bit floored by the attitude I must admit!!

I'll be buying the Road chef!

Edit: ok & no anderson plug is another factor, easy enough to change but why would you use a ciggy lighter fitting on an item like that anyway??

Its going to either melt the plug or your wiring!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

I've got the kick ass pie oven in my boat after upgrading from the black box style. Its awesome on the long days trolling around. Not much we haven't put through mine 

Never knew K/A was doing them but guarantee you thats a Road chef oven just rebadged!

Im sure there would be other brands with the same oven, it would be a generic unit like lots of things that come out of china that are rebranded, air compressors, winches, lots of stuff!

Event the holes on the sides are the same.

Nice price though, looks about $30 cheaper than the road chef!

Edited by kingie chaser

Thanks for all the tips guys. @frankSI like the thermos idea. I'll have my butane cooker for when we are at anchor, but an oven is the way I want to go. @SmobabyI'd love to be supporting aussie made, but from what I can tell, the copies are better than the original. I'm happy to pay a bit more for an aussie one, but maybe not so much if the product isn't as good. Never heard of kick ass till now, so I'll carry on doing my research. I take your point about the knock-offs. It must be disheartening to come up with an idea, and then have someone knock it off and make money out of it.

I'll post an install video if/when I get around to it. 

THere don't seem to be a lot around for sale ATM. Maybe they all got ordered at the same time as facemasks and toilet paper!