Mixed catch at DeeWhy Wide

saltrix

We don’t normally fish during holiday periods and try to avoid weekends, but the wind has been  pretty fierce and we thought we would give it a go today.

It was crowded at the Tunks ramp and only parking left right up the hill but we got away in about 40 minutes.

The harbour was choppy from the traffic and the bounce back from the confused swell but once out wide it was pretty good.

There were a lot of spikeys and they were a good size and would have made a feed,  but there was an occasional good sized marble and bluespot so we didn’t keep the spikeys.

The morwong were a good size but I am about to cook some for tea, and if they aren’t nice I won’t keep them again. I bleed, fillet, keep them in an ice slurry, and skin them and mostly they are good but sometimes they have a taste.

The ramp on the return was very crowded and it took 45 minutes to get out.

AD15F875-3A83-4528-B865-21E0582D9C9D.thumb.jpeg.70d28d4fa9669ee763bff016535380f5.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, saltrix said:

We don’t normally fish during holiday periods and try to avoid weekends, but the wind has been  pretty fierce and we thought we would give it a go today.

It was crowded at the Tunks ramp and only parking left right up the hill but we got away in about 40 minutes.

The harbour was choppy from the traffic and the bounce back from the confused swell but once out wide it was pretty good.

There were a lot of spikeys and they were a good size and would have made a feed,  but there was an occasional good sized marble and bluespot so we didn’t keep the spikeys.

The morwong were a good size but I am about to cook some for tea, and if they aren’t nice I won’t keep them again. I bleed, fillet, keep them in an ice slurry, and skin them and mostly they are good but sometimes they have a taste.

The ramp on the return was very crowded and it took 45 minutes to get out.

AD15F875-3A83-4528-B865-21E0582D9C9D.thumb.jpeg.70d28d4fa9669ee763bff016535380f5.jpeg

Found a recipe for a fish bake with cheese and horse radish suits mowies 

Twelve of us had a good day on the flathead drifts off Manly on Tuesday and later Rosa Wide. While we got 46 flathead, the whiting outscored them at 59. A few pigfish, jackets and gurnard were also in the mix. The catch was above par for January in our experience. Not one banjo shark was snagged which was a welcomed change.

Edited by cogo44

Mowies are actually excellent eating. Bleed by nicking the carotid artery on both sides of the backbone under the Gill covers and when bled out  put in ice slurry  Fillet and skin them and you will see a red piece of flesh in the front edge/corner of the fillet Cut this off completely as it is the source of the iodine taste if cooked intact.  You’ll never throw another one back!

• Like 2