8 Vs 4 carrier braids

nutsaboutfishing

I’ve just learnt how 8 carrier braids are thinner than 4 carrier, so they cast further but coz they’re thinner they’re not as abrasion resistant. I’m interested in other pros and cons of both and also what 8 carrier braids people recommend.

My only experience with 8 carrier is Shimano Kairkiri

Thanks

Richard 

I prefer the 8, i get better knot strength and they seem to be much easier to get wind knots out of

I don't mind the  Shimano Kairkiri it's just a bit rough, the sufix 832 is my go to braid never had an issue

the daiwa j braid 8 and sunline siglon are garbage both lasted a coupe of months then just started splitting and breaking under minimal pressure 

8 Carrier breaks a lot closer to the stated breaking strain. It is rounder, smoother and woven tighter to keep water out, so it casts further! And Tangles less.

I remember when braid broke 5 times higher than stated! Fins 40g stated that its 5 lb broke at 15 lb !!

I run a fluro leader so have never had a problem with Braid Abrasion wise. Snags and Oysters get to the Fluro first !!

To be honest I have a combination of both 4 and 8 carrier, 4 mainly in 4 lb.   Both work fine. Don't overthink your fishing !! Enjoy It !!  

Howard.

21 hours ago, bluefin said:

8 Carrier breaks a lot closer to the stated breaking strain. It is rounder, smoother and woven tighter to keep water out, so it casts further! And Tangles less.

I remember when braid broke 5 times higher than stated! Fins 40g stated that its 5 lb broke at 15 lb !!

I run a fluro leader so have never had a problem with Braid Abrasion wise. Snags and Oysters get to the Fluro first !!

To be honest I have a combination of both 4 and 8 carrier, 4 mainly in 4 lb.   Both work fine. Don't overthink your fishing !! Enjoy It !!  

Howard.

Thanks for that. I suppose each one has it's own uses.

i prefer 8 carrier, much nicer to handle and tangles seem less painful to untangle. having said that, i do like 4 carrier for 4lb and below - some really incredible diameters in that range.

16 hours ago, anthman said:

i prefer 8 carrier, much nicer to handle and tangles seem less painful to untangle. having said that, i do like 4 carrier for 4lb and below - some really incredible diameters in that range.

Anthman are the 8 carrier generally thinner than the 4?

cheers

Richard