Two Raiders Meet - A day offshore on BARRYCUDA

GoingFishing

3 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Hey Zoran,

Wow, what a trip. Now I'm gonna say something that might polarize some members, but it's just for a light dig.

Yep, bait fishing saved the day!....Again...!

Ok, ok, ONE fish did it but what a fish. You can almost hide behind it. Love the story, the pics, the result and of course the cooking and presentation.

I was really into deep dropping some years ago but it was too far, too hard, too expensive and now I'm too chickenshyte to go that far out to sea.

By the way, yes, bricks are not dense enough and will slow down on the descent as the pressure rises, causing some overruns. Window sash cord weights are ideal and the only way to get them at a reasonable price is to go to period house demolition sales and ask. Typically 7lb - 8lb weights are the go. The price of lead is prohibitive these days.

Jeez the fillet looks good on the plate. Now I'm gonna go and cook my whiting fillets....Also caught on bait...ahem...😆

Mate.  Sounds like the deep drop itch is still so much there! 

+1 for Sash weights (thanks Deiter @61 crusher) or reo bars. 

+100 blue eye fillets. Can’t beat them. 

BTW, Sam has a Marlin itch a mile wide  .... dare I say he is looking at switch baiting next!!!!

Leave it at that  ......

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962

27 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Mate.  Sounds like the deep drop itch is still so much there! 

+1 for Sash weights (thanks Deiter @61 crusher) or reo bars. 

+100 blue eye fillets. Can’t beat them. 

BTW, Sam has a Marlin itch a mile wide  .... dare I say he is looking at switch baiting next!!!!

Leave it at that  ......

cheers Zoran 

Your not wrong Zoran. Its a serious itch, and it needs to be scratched in 2021 or i might go mad !

This year already a few marlin strikes but cant get the hooks to stick. Its bound to happen soon !! (i hope 🤞🤞🤞)

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

....especially when lumo SPs are added to the hook. Just look at the rig and the result !!!! 😂😂😂

Be careful, or I will steal your SP's and give them to Scratchie.  :074:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

image.thumb.png.dab9f0610b5fccd902e0848600e960c6.png

Looks tasty GF, squeeze of lemon....beautiful

Blue eye is a great fish, havent cooked with it for a long long time but I really like the firm but flakey flesh & the chuncky portions you get out of it.

Seeing your picture reminded me of a function dish we used to do about 10+ years ago at where I used to work.

Pretty simple dish, the sauce was very tasty, it was a teriyaki cream sauce.

1842160575_Blueeyecod.thumb.jpg.9896fc4c5f153b05810535fdd6652c32.jpg

Enjoy the spoils, that thing would have half filled the freezer I'd imagine.

• Like 1

Just now, Brendan Monks said:

Nice video Zoran and cracker Blue Eye! 🤤

Totally out of interest, just wondering what hooks you were running on your Marlin lures?

Light Gauge Pakula hooks. Trying to increase the hook up rate by going light and even then still tricky !!! What hooks are you using?

29 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

....🤔... re-watching that, I wonder if the missed gaff shot was payback  ???  

🤣🤣 id never do that !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Light Gauge Pakula hooks. Trying to increase the hook up rate by going light and even then still tricky !!! What hooks are you using?

Yeah I run exact the same hooks on 50Ws (8kg drag) and haven't had them straighten yet as heard from others. I presume it was a Striped Marlin you hooked which are always messy eaters - And some say only expect to land 1 out of 3!

You can never win though! 😅 We had a 150kg + Blue Marlin hooked solid on Pa'a hooks over the weekend only for it to jump across then back up through the spread to land on the leader!! 🙄 Then a small Striped Marlin in the afternoon that was hooked perfect only for it to jump us off just after we had cleared the spread and had started fighting.

We've had a real bad run this season landing only 2 from 7 Striped Marlin although 4 of those bites were from a pack attack!

Sorry, didn't want to take away from your report but when you think you have it sorted chasing Marlin, another thing will always pop up!!!🤬

P.S. I should add, if you can fish livies you'll get the best hookup conversion rate! 👌

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Just finished a video of the day  ... we got the marlin strike  footage ! ....

Cheers Zoran

Great Vid Zoran, the only time I ever went out on a charter for Marlin on the shelf at Port Stephens & pretty much the same thing happened to me but came up on the short corner.

Still was great to see the fish, it was literally only about 8-10 mtrs from the boat, pretty disheartening not to get a hook up. 

I have pretty much zero experience when chasing Marlin but see a lot of footage of people using a teaser as well in the spreads.

Have you ever thought of adding one in, just asking??

I know that doesnt actually help with a hook up though 🤐

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great Vid Zoran, the only time I ever went out on a charter for Marlin on the shelf at Port Stephens & pretty much the same thing happened to me but came up on the short corner.

Still was great to see the fish, it was literally only about 8-10 mtrs from the boat, pretty disheartening not to get a hook up. 

I have pretty much zero experience when chasing Marlin but see a lot of footage of people using a teaser as well in the spreads.

Have you ever thought of adding one in??

I know that doesnt actually help with a hook up though 🤐

We had one out, a teaser chain.

Just not clearly visible in the vid

• Like 1

Thats a great report. Awesome capture and it would have been fun raising that marlin. 
I am with you on the chaos at the boat ramps, when we got back to Roseville the same day I was waiting on the boat for over 1/2 hour while my mate was in line to get the trailer in. Still at least there is plenty of amusement watching the inexperienced boaties trying to get their boats onto the trailers. Seem like some do not have a clue 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks Gordo! 
We were at the ArtI for a while before starting our run to 12mile. But it was a parking lot.
We must have passed each other at some stage. Our catchup is long overdue. 
cheers Zoran 

Agree on that catch up. 🙂
The arti has so many boats around it drifting then you get some fool using their spot lock on an electric motor to sit right on it and get in everyone's way.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:16 AM, zmk1962 said:

But I would think bricks are just not dense enough to drop vertically and increase water drag, you'd have a lot of line out at an angle - increasing the chance of snagging and decreasing bite sensitivity ....

Hey Zoran

i have some solid steel blocks which you could try, what weight do you need, I think these are 1.1kg.

they were not cast right so they are just sitting around my office

i even have some in my fire pit

Jeff

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hey Zoran

i have some solid steel blocks which you could try, what weight do you need, I think these are 1.1kg.

they were not cast right so they are just sitting around my office

i even have some in my fire pit

Jeff

HI Jeff, thanks so much for thinking of me. I can tack weld a couple of pieces together to make up the weight. Can you PM or text me a picture ?  There are a couple of more considerations that I have posted previously - infact, I'll create a topic in workshop to consolidate them.

Cheers and THANKS ... Zoran  

EDIT: The workshop topic:

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1