Botany Bay 11/1/2021

kingie chaser

Got to the ramp a bit later than I'd hoped, about 6.15am & the car park was about 1/2 full.

High tide was 7.30 so still managed the last bit of the run in & a couple of hours of the run out, I try to do 2hrs each side of a tide change where possible.

Most people were already out so the ramp was quite relaxed.

The plan was to try & target kings to start so headed to Cook reserve where there was about 10 boats all with the same idea.

Gave it a go for about 30 minutes without success & didnt see anyone else pull any in either so decided to move on, I had some frozen squid so thought thats going to have to do.

Tried the east side of the Kurnel wharf for a while with no luck so moved to the west side, was flicking one of my skutes while I had whole large squid on the bottom, about 10 minuts in had a nice take on the squid & thought here we go my luck has changed, but wasnt a great fight & as I got it up it turned out to be a spotted wobbegong going about 90cm.

I brought it in with the net to try & unhook it bit it has swolled it all well & truly so I cut the leader, as I cut the leader(with scissors!) it decided to chomp down on my net like a hungry pitbull & wouldnt let go.

I tried putting it back in the water with the net & swim it, not good, not wanting to kill it(or hurt it) I tried about everything so I just had to bring it into the boat.

Went to my next spot, just drifting for flatties & let in just sit in the boat thinking it will let go in a minute.

So I eventually pry this thing of my net after about 30minutes in total, drop it back in the water & it swims away.

Dont think I will bring one of those in again!

wobbigong2.thumb.jpg.7089157c7677ea09a07de0780e49e49a.jpg

1441477475_wobbigong(2).thumb.jpg.6b7da9b299f68d417a3a988ef2d41e0c.jpg

On the way back to the ramp a guy waved me down, he was achored at the last port bouy near the 3rd runway so I went over, he said he was out of fuel & did I have any.

I was trying to use the last 10ltrs in my main tank but had a fresh 10ltr jerry can of 50/1 2 strike mix(he had a 4 stroke) in the boat just in case I ran it out.

Anyway he said can I have 5 ltrs to get me back to the ramp which is only about 500mtrs away, sure I said, anyway he basically nearly emptied the whole 10ltrs into his tank(about 1 ltr left), threw the near empty container to me & said thanks then pushed me off. 

No offer to give me any money or anything.

I mean it it just me or does anyone else think thats pretty rude, not even to offer??

I was happy to give him 5ltrs but not 10 😑

I mean who goes fishing & doesnt take enough fuel or back up fuel.

The recons he's been there all night to, and this is about 10am now.

All sounds a bit weird to me?

Anyway I guess its all about Karma, I had some good karma pasted onto me the other day so I guess it was my turn to pass it foward to.

End of story 1 flathead to take home but on bait not on the skutes.

Im not giving up on the skutes, they actually looked really good in the water!

Just need to find the fish 😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

Nice write up KC.

On a day like today with 0.5m waves and 4 knot winds you should have ventured outside !!! Personally i cant recommend fishing Botany Bay unless you had to !! 

Alott more fish outside than in, that i can say with certainty.

PS whats a skute??

• Like 1

Good report KC. Common courtesy not high on some peoples agenda I reckon. Anyway YOU did the right thing and that's important. Don't give up with the skutes...they will work. As you say, you'll have to find the fish though. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

Wobbies are like that, they bite and do not let go. Do not let one grab your hand or leg, they stick to you like superglue.

As for new boaties, no idea about fuel usage. Just keep going until they run out of fuel, then bludge from someone else.

Well, I can pick out the bludgers and say, "I have just enough fuel to get me home," shake the container and keep going. I will help the right people if there is a problem, but there are many freeloaders in the world today who expect others to solve their problem, and not offer thanks for assistance.

I may seem a bit hard-arse, but over 30 years in the cops has shown me all sides of life.  Don't piss me off!  :074:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

On a day like today with 0.5m waves and 4 knot winds you should have ventured outside !!! Personally i cant recommend fishing Botany Bay unless you had to !! 

That's why I headed outside today.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Good report KC. Common courtesy not high on some peoples agenda I reckon. Anyway YOU did the right thing and that's important. Don't give up with the skutes...they will work. As you say, you'll have to find the fish though. Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil, was just great to get out & have a fish & chillout.

On the other matter its not the $15 fuel donation that 

And of course its the boaters code to come to the aid of another boater in trouble but the more I think about it the more that something doesnt sit right in my gut with what the guy was saying he'd been there all night & had 50 boats go past him & not one call to Maritime etc.

I even said at one point I recon thats about half & he just kept pooring saying its pooring slow🤨 

Anyway I'll give him the benifit of the doubt &  I feel I did the right thing in stopping.

Like I said, its all about Karma, if he took advantage it will come back to bite him somewhere Im sure.

On the skute, your right, I think they will work, I dont think if I was using plastics today the result would have been any better.

Thats fishing.

Cheers :thumbup: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice write up KC.

PS whats a skute??

Cheers Sam.

I only have a 13ft tinny which is a 1969 Quintrex sportman & the transom is literally only about 6 inchs above the waterline & has very low sides as well.

While I have seen tinnies used outside they are much better designed than my old girl.

I still have the dream to get into something bigger when the timing is right allround.

Skute= home made artificial lures that I just started making, 1st test run on the left then the next batch on the righ.

I just got a few new cheap materials arrive from china & waiting on a few more to make all different designs.

Just an interest to pass the time when you have to much time on your hands 🙂 

Skute2.thumb.jpg.64615a3e138c0e9c6d530ca437699aa0.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser

Good report mate.As for the dill in the boat he deserves to be stranded.I have my 24l tank full and a 10l as emergency(I never have needed it as i get 2-3 trips from a tank).

You'd be surprised how many morons don't carry spares too both in boats and cars.

Good on you for getting out.

Karma is there and you did the right thing....there are plenty of &$@“ heads out there and most of them think they are amazing 🤪

great read and I hope the next trip is a bit more productive....the holiday crowds will die down soon!

• Like 1

Personally I don't carry spare fuel, I always start of with a full 24 ltr tank and generally have more than 1/2 left over at the end of my session. With the ramp only being 500 metres away I would have offered to tow him back to the ramp and kept my fuel.

I can't imagine anyone being so rude as to not even offer to pay for the fuel, you probably would have said NO anyway.

There are all types out there , you just came across one of the ignorant ones.

Frank

56 minutes ago, frankS said:

Personally I don't carry spare fuel, I always start of with a full 24 ltr tank and generally have more than 1/2 left over at the end of my session. With the ramp only being 500 metres away I would have offered to tow him back to the ramp and kept my fuel.

I can't imagine anyone being so rude as to not even offer to pay for the fuel, you probably would have said NO anyway.

There are all types out there , you just came across one of the ignorant ones.

Frank

Hey Frank, the fuel in the main tank was getting on the old side & was a mix of 3 lots of fuel from different time lines so that's why I was running it out & why I had the 10ltr fresh Jerry can on board.

I usually just fill the 25ltr tank topped up which lasts me about 3 trips before I top it up again.

As to the tow, well I don't think towing a 5.5+mtr fibreglass cuddy with a 150hp 4 stroke with a 13ft tinny with a 25hp is a good idea, to me anyway, especially when there are plenty of much larger capable vessels cruising right by constantly & maritime is just a call away.

Your right I would have said no that's fine but still it's nice to offer isn't it, think most people would.

It was all a bit sus to me, the boat was a quite rough & absolutely stank of rotten fish, & although he had a few rods on board it almost looked like he was living on the boat.

Could have been a recently made homeless person with a boat, beats sleeping in a cardboard box on the street I guess!

Edited by kingie chaser

Great report KC ... stay away from the front end of a wobbie for sure. Its pretty much the first thing we were taught diving years ago .... coz they can actually reach around and grab their own tail  and many a hand has been crushed in those jaws.

Good on you for stopping to help that twat ... but seriously what a looser. Like others I have had a similar experience ... coming in to broken bay late from a long offshore day, spot a guy waving me down at west head. Turns out he's run out of fuel and asks if I have spare fuel (nope its all sub floor and there is not much left even if we could get to it) and then can I tow him up into brisbane waters. I do some quick math ... I could get him there, but then chances are I'd run dry trying to reach Parsley bay...  So I offer to wait with him and call marine rescue. He blurts out no don't do that ... coz they'd charge me for fuel. I said that's news to me ... but then it dawned on my ... this was not this guys first rodeo - he was a regular abuser of fellow boaties and maritime - they'd probably given him a warning.  

Long story short, I stayed with him, I called marine rescue, but anchored out of earshot as he just wouldn't shut up. 😁  Maybe next time just offer to make a call on their behalf.

BTW the skutes remind me of the lead head feather lures we used to troll many years ago ... they worked. Think they were overtaken by plastic skirts coz the plastic was more durable, came in more colours and was much easier to manufacture. But they worked. Keep going with it for sure.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

I have been pretty fortunate with the guys I have helped out, Once towed a 20 foot glass half cab back in from the shelf at Bermi, I was in 5.3 m Savage Lancer with 90hp eTec , took about 2 hours to get into the harbour.

This guy offered me a spot on his boat anytime, have since fished with him several times, and we became mates, unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago.

I have helped a few out and never came across a rude person like Kingie did.

Frank

• Like 1

K C it wasnt just his boat that stank..I towed a boat some years ago in Botany.The guy said it was the first trip after being serviced,the same mechanic i was using.He got out in the Bay near Larpa,then zilch.Always wondered what the problem was.Cheers.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:09 AM, frankS said:

There are all types out there , you just came across one of the ignorant ones

There’s nothing ‘ignorant’ about a brazen grifter like this dude. He knew exactly what he was doing - taking advantage of a good man’s goodwill and stealing from him. He probably thinks of KC as a nothing but a sucker, and never gave a moment’s thought to his selfless act except as an opportunity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DaveBM said:

There’s nothing ‘ignorant’ about a brazen grifter like this dude. He knew exactly what he was doing - taking advantage of a good man’s goodwill and stealing from him. He probably thinks of KC as a nothing but a sucker, and never gave a moment’s thought to his selfless act except as an opportunity.

Have to agree really, I now have no doubt the guy absolutely knew what he was doing.

The experience has left me a little wiser & wary which is a good thing.

Still I cant think that everyone that asks for help is like that otherwise I would just put the blinkers on & just drive by someone else waving for help, you cant do that!

Just have to take each situation on its circumstances/merits now & be a bit more alert to the fact that not everyone out on the water is equal or as moral.

Like I was saying its only $15 in fuel but still a bit of an education on how to approach things in the future.

Edited by kingie chaser

Sounds like an eventful day KC. Those wobbegong have the deadliest teeth and I’d rather it bite the net than my hand! 
The bloke you helped was rude and your right,  will have a bit of karma coming his way soon. The skutes you made look pretty good. But I’d go with more natural tones and see how that goes! 
At least you got out mate! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Sounds like an eventful day KC. Those wobbegong have the deadliest teeth and I’d rather it bite the net than my hand! 
The bloke you helped was rude and your right,  will have a bit of karma coming his way soon. The skutes you made look pretty good. But I’d go with more natural tones and see how that goes! 
At least you got out mate! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

I guess what my idea is with the colours im using is I'm trying to mimic the colours of the SP's I would frequently use for whatever species I'm chasing.

For flathead I have had a lot of success with say nuclear chicken, glitter pink or pilchard so that's why first up I was using chartreuse with a bit of pink & some white.

I still need to buy more bucktail colours, probably blue & red next but I also just got some cheap rubber skirt material in a range of colours I can also add it in.

20210115_104529.thumb.jpg.97aece587aef3400b2d44cb1e784ce21.jpg

So I am looking at the gulp colour charts for my ideas.

Anyway just a bit of fun, just have to keep at it & hopefully they will pay off 🙂

• Like 3

Hey kingie chaser,

These stories are bitter sweet for me. I help others but the one time I could have used some help, there was none (well at least, not from humanity).

The bitter part of bitter sweet. Many years ago I had a 4m tinnie and I was returning from a trip in summer. LOTS of boats around. I was eating a sandwich while travelling home at 25 knots. I set the tiller lock on the outboard so I can be hands-free while I ate. Well it failed after a few minutes and the boat swung violently 90 degrees. As I cartwheeled thru the air, I got a hand to the throttle. I wasn't hurt (miracle # 1) and I looked around for my boat - I couldn't see it. I looked around for a boat to get assistance but suddenly there were NO boats around. No help, so I waited for some minutes, then noticed a boat coming slowly towards me. It came up to me at idle speed and the motor stalled. It was MY boat. The tiller was in full lock and I managed to set the throttle to minimum as I flew overboard. If it was in full throttle the boat could have hit me or worse (miracle #2). So I ended up saving myself.

The sweet part of bitter sweet: I once rescued a bunch of people whose 10foot tinnie capsized in shallow water near towra in a big southerly. They were on the beach and didn't realise the weather changed. I was the only goof still fishing. I noticed them leaving the beach and I knew they would not make it so I stayed to see if they made it to Kurnell boat ramp. They didn't. I rescued about 4 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs plus towed their tinnie back to the ramp. One guy remained in the tinnie to bail it out. They didn't thank me or offer any payment but I am happy they didn't bcos it came from my heart, not my wallet. In hindsight they were probably a bit shocked at it all but they were so lucky - late afternoon, wet mobiles, no-one around and a very quick and smooth rescue.

So the moral of the stories, help others when you can, and as one other raider mentioned in his signature, something like "remember that you have received but forget that you have given". For my bitter story, I remember that I have Received, because it came from God. Luck like that just does not happen. I also hope that the rescued people thank the good lord because their luck was just as great as mine.

Edited by Keflapod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's a really great story Keflapod. Really miraculous that you survived the experience with your own boat. As you say, it's always a good feeling to do something for others... up to them whether they see things the same as you do. Courtesy is free, as is gratitude. Some people lack both... their loss. bn

On 1/15/2021 at 9:49 PM, big Neil said:

That's a really great story Keflapod. Really miraculous that you survived the experience with your own boat. As you say, it's always a good feeling to do something for others... up to them whether they see things the same as you do. Courtesy is free, as is gratitude. Some people lack both... their loss. bn

Hey BN,

Indeed it is your signature I was quoting.

I didn't quite remember the wording but the message is profound and that's what I took onboard.

That little incident is what drove me to build and fish a 6m plate alloy boat in Botany Bay.

Overkill so I don't get killed😁

• Like 1