Jump to content

Mahi Mahi + assorted catch off Sydney


Recommended Posts

Hi fellow Raiders,

After a day on the water, here is a quick report. I often plan to write one but so often get caught up with other issues, but today I thought I must get it done!!

Today, I took out the husband of one of my staff members, along with his neighbour¬†who he fishes with¬†on his neighbours boat in Sydney Harbour, but they never catch¬†anything ūüėē¬†The two wives keep waiting for dinner to come home and after many trips had almost given up hope!¬†So with the holidays here, I promised to take them out and show them a few things.

On a tip off from a friend, i decided we would try and get our first MahiMahi for the season. We caught live bait - small yakkas and a few larger ones for cuts baits, and managed tp get a jumbo sized Slimey Mackerel amongst them that would be have been about 30cm+.

With the bait tank full, seas smooth and not much wind we headed out through the heads at about 7:15am hopeful of a good day.

In short, we managed the following.

After arriving at our FAD, the first drift produced nothing, so I though go big or go home and quick lay rigged up the big slimey mackerel on my big Kingfish rod and reel (Shimano Talica 12) and dropped her in with the 2 small yakkas that we were drifting.  5-10 minutes later and the Slimey gets an inspection.  After missing on the first strike I left the bait in the water and sure enough the Dolly couldn’t help itself and within 30 second took it again. This time I let it take the bait down for about 25 seconds before striking.  I loaded up the rod and we were on.  With 65lb braid it was a good but fight but not too long. The most difficult part was boating the fish with 2 guys who hadn’t even caught a decent bream!  In the end I decided to handle both the rod and the gaff myself and had the fish in the boat after a few minutes. It went 110cm.

You will see on the picture that it had 2 weird bite marks.  Not sure if it was a cookie cuttter fish/shark, but definitely something had a go at it.  When I cleaned the fish that afternoon, I cut those sections completely out.

From there I took them to a flathead drift and we got 4 nice blue spots. We then headed in to Long Reef and sat not far off the Wall and burleyed up in 14 meters of water, resulting in 4 Sampson fish and one 67cm fat kingfish.  It was now 11:45am and time to head in.  Needless to say, my two companions, Mike and Frank, were both stoked and can’t wait to get out again in their boat.

Tight Lines

The Rev

C9FAA69E-D727-42FD-8448-D5FCD87A04E7.thumb.jpeg.7e50964d83d724f7b44568003a9dae3a.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Top effort The Rev. Good onya for providing the inspiration for your friends, to want to go ahead with their own venture. I hope they put what they have learned into good practice and finally get some runs on their own board. You ended up with a good haul and hopefully everyone gets a few meals out of the day's catch. Cheers, bn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great haul Rev, some tasty meals to come for a while :biggrinthumb:

 

Personally I recon those are Amberjack, I know they are in the same family as Kingfish & Samson fish but tend to have more patched of brown all over them & Amberjack more commonly have a long yellow stripe head to tail.

I could be wrong, not that it really matters just an obsevation.

 

I almost went to WA a while ago to fish for big Sambo's west of Rottnest where they get up to 60kg.

Still would like to do that one day. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Top job @The Rev both in bagging a nice feed and in embodying the Raider spirit by passing some of your skills to your crew.  I always felt a good fishing trip starts with a plan .... and then executing and fine tuning as you go. 

Cheers Zoran

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Great haul Rev, some tasty meals to come for a while :biggrinthumb:

 

Personally I recon those are Amberjack, I know they are in the same family as Kingfish & Samson fish but tend to have more patched of brown all over them & Amberjack more commonly have a long yellow stripe head to tail.

I could be wrong, not that it really matters just an obsevation.

 

I almost went to WA a while ago to fish for big Sambo's west of Rottnest where they get up to 60kg.

Still would like to do that one day. 

Do it. They go really hard. Top fishing generally off the back of Rotto - there’s a long and super deep trench - all kinds of pelagics skirt the dropoff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 4:02 AM, big Neil said:

Top effort The Rev. Good onya for providing the inspiration for your friends, to want to go ahead with their own venture. I hope they put what they have learned into good practice and finally get some runs on their own board. You ended up with a good haul and hopefully everyone gets a few meals out of the day's catch. Cheers, bn

Thanks Big Neil - I believe my mates are heading out Saturday to see if they can catch something by themselves!  Hopefully they do well.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 6:56 AM, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish. A bit hard to tell if the bites are from a cookie cutter, but something liked having a chew on the dollie.

Hi Yowie - I realised later that night after I wrote the report what I think the marks were.  My mate told me that when he caught his dolly 24hrs earlier, spearfisherman were spearing there and in hindsight the wounds look exactly what a spear wound would look like that either came out close the dorsal fin line which was one of the wounds... OR only partially penetrated the fish which is what the second wound felt like when I inspected it.  Cheers, the rev

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 7:23 AM, zmk1962 said:

Top job @The Rev both in bagging a nice feed and in embodying the Raider spirit by passing some of your skills to your crew.  I always felt a good fishing trip starts with a plan .... and then executing and fine tuning as you go. 

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff Rev. Always nice when a plan comes together. Everyone gets a feed and you get another pass to take the lads out again! Well done ūüĎ欆

cheers scratchie!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      67,223
    • Total Posts
      544,834
×
×
  • Create New...