Stockton PB Lure Flathead

Ribs

Decided Sunday to come up to Nelson bay for 3 nights while the weather is good, but with the crowds and dirty water at little beach, I decided to drive to Stockton beach today for the kids to play in clean water, Mrs work on her tan, and I get to flick lures around.

After reading Scratchies tips I drove down about 10km to a safe shallow area for the kids and 2 channels for me to operate. I know there are sharks so rather be safe than sorry. 

1st channel 41, 48, 52

2nd channel 81 

5 attempts to get her out of the drop off, using 6lb braid and 10lb fluro and with the lure down her throat I had to let her keep running when she wanted, lucky I had lip grips on my boardies and finally landed her, with blood coming out of her gills I ran back at least 500m to my ute, (both of us now buggered) and with the kids acting as my surgeon assistants the lure was unhooked from her throat, but we tried to swim her, no good💀

Back home tomorrow and will use the frames to hopefully get some muddies. 

SuperFish, with the kids and Mrs on our own piece of sand, life dont get much better! 

C9080716-90A2-4DE6-AAB7-825911E0CD82.png

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good sized flattie. You cannot always save them for a return to the water as the big mouth inhales anything near it.

Not wrong yowie, it was my 3rd cast into that gutter and as soon as i lifted I felt like I was snagged, one treble in her throat did the damage. 

Back to the shire now😡, Stockton is a beautiful place and lucky to be rewarded with a beautiful fish. 

Well dome on he PB, I had to keep my 80cm PB flatty for the same reason.

But I return every other 60+cm I catch so I dont feel guilty.

Its a shame but no point letting her go if she will just end up going to the pickers & crabs.

The flesh was a little tough but all got used & nothing went to waste :biggrinthumb:

On 1/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, kingie chaser said:

Well dome on he PB, I had to keep my 80cm PB flatty for the same reason.

But I return every other 60+cm I catch so I dont feel guilty.

Its a shame but no point letting her go if she will just end up going to the pickers & crabs.

The flesh was a little tough but all got used & nothing went to waste :biggrinthumb:

Thanks mate, yes daughter wanted to let her go, son wanted to keep her, I made the decision after 10 mins she was not going to survive, sad but that’s life I told the kids, no fish ever goes to waste in our house.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, Scratchie said:

Good fish brother! It’s about the only beach this time of year you can find a spot. Lucky it’s 39 kilometres long haha! And you certainly picked a good spot 🤙

well done on the PB

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks bro, wow what a beach, safe, no one near us, I even said to Mrs she can sun bake topless, but no luck ! 

Yes 1st spot was a bit rough with no waves or gutters,  daughter wanted to move after I set up,  so packed up and moved further down , glad she always get what she wants! 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:05 AM, jenno64 said:

Great Post Ribs

Swimming at Stockton beats swimming in the Georges:) Well done landing a top fish from the beach on light gear. Shame she didn't make it but sure to feed the family! Cleanest looking dusky I've seen!

Thanks Rob, yes much cleaner water, but I must say shoal bay looked ordinary after the rain, never any fish or squid when that dirty, hence why i drove to Stockton. As you would know landing a flaty of that size on silly string in the surf was a challenge, a fish I’ll never forget. 

I Processed them yesterday for a big feed tomorrow night with the parents, and the frames will hopefully get me a dirty big muddy. 

2F61C6B0-BE2B-4767-AA0A-201926EAB84B.jpeg

B3BD351D-1743-40FE-A80F-AAD70D299FA0.jpeg