Bow mounting Spot Lock Electric Motor onto an FG curved foredeck Half Cab

zmk1962

G'day Raiders,

I've got the spot lock electric motor bug but before I make a decision or purchase I'd really like to narrow down how to install the motor on my fibreglass half cabin with curved foredeck. 

The electronics look pretty straight forward, but the physical mounting of the motor has me scratching my head. 

I would really appreciate if any raiders could post or PM pictures of how theirs is mounted on a hull shape similar to mine.  Also is anyone aware of any off the shelf brackets or mounts that are out there? 

Here's a pick of barrycuda's foredeck (with a 72" pole leaning against the hull  representing the leccy shaft I'm considering).

image.png.f07d272ae796eef6da0e0c492b722b81.png

Cheers  and Many thanks....  Zoran

I would seek out a fibreglasser to make you a curved mount to suit your hull shape and either get it glassed in to your hull or bolted on but I'd get rid of that bottle of soft drink and replace it with a bottle of Tequilla to harden you up.😂🤣😂

My mate builds boats out of fibreglass but i don't think you'll want to tow your rig to Port Macquarie for him to make you one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I would seek out a fibreglasser to make you a curved mount to suit your hull shape and either get it glassed in to your hull or bolted on but I'd get rid of that bottle of soft drink and replace it with a bottle of Tequilla to harden you up.😂🤣😂

Thanks Fab ! ... I didn't realise I had left my inspiration in the picture ... sadly 1  bottle was not enough to solve this.

I have done a fair bit of internet research - but a lot of solutions and materials are USA ... so looking for some local inspiration hopefully from folks that have done it already.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Contact one of the people who sell them.They will help you. They wouldn't pass up a sale. That is if you want to go down that track.

Thanks Rebel, the two I have spoken to just want to palm me off to a fabricator "who can do anything I want ". That path has not been that helpful at this stage. 

---------

Here's some things I have found:

USA

image.png.ef0b127f3929b8869577d59771a41e3c.png

image.png.5060ab87ea57e47fa20f00263fee6169.png

..and the Australian cruise craft factory fit approach - 

image.png.b093a48ecdb388428940745ac245d8ad.png

And one guy documented his fglass  approach

image.png.739be27539d91f5ca60f4a1f07e24b2a.png

But I'd really love to talk to any Raider that has it fitted on a hull similar to mine.

Cheers Zoran

Zoran the only way to do this would be by custom fabrication as you already know. Have made many for ally boats reasonably simple but fibreglass boats is another story to get right. Many templates and time to get perfect can be done but takes time. Love to help you out but too busy for about a month. Something out of 6 mm aluminium would suit your rig.

David

Thanks Dave. The compound curves that make fglass great for boat building certainly add major complication when you want to bolt something on. 
I need to settle on a design first hence why I’m after ideas.  The modified bow rail mounts look simplest but they add shaft length.  
I’ll keep searching. 
cheers Zoran 

Unfortunately I think you will have to either remove or cut your bow rail ZMK.

I've given a lot of though to this with my boat but i havent managed to work out how it could be done without either blocking my anchor hatch or my hatch to poke my head up out the front

Dont know much about these except you know I love to watch youtubes Zoran :biggrin2:

I dont think it needs to be as hard as using a fabricator & spending a lot of coin going that way unless you want it to look like part of the boat of course there are plenty of people that seem to either use the standard minn kota mounts or just make their own to suit their hull.

If your going with an auto deploy/retrieve then the rail becomes an issue.

They certainly are a great addition to a boat though.

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Hahaha KC. I’ve seen this vid. I've just about seen them all I think.  2 issues with the OutOnTheReed - crooked pilothouse approach compared to mine: It’s not a curved foredeck he mounted it on a flat part which I don't have and also I have not found one retailer in Oz that sells king board or whatever he called it. 

I'm pretty sure I will have to cut the bow rail as New Signing said, especially if I decide to go auto deploy. ... and if I do, then I might as well have the leccy mount made out of the bow rail ss tube.  

Something like the cruise craft solution, but I'd prefer the mount to be much lower to foredeck so that I do not have to go to an 80in shaft.... and ofcourse for the leccy to clear the hatch when at rest.

https://www.teamcruisecraft.com.au/cruise-craft-watertesting-the-first-factory-fit-minn-koto-electric-bow-mount-motor

cheers and thanks Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I'm pretty sure I will have to cut the bow rail as New Signing said, especially if I decide to go auto deploy. ... and if I do, then I might as well have the leccy mount made out of the bow rail ss tube.  

Something like the cruise craft solution, but I'd prefer the mount to be much lower to foredeck so that I do not have to go to an 80in shaft.... and ofcourse for the leccy to clear the hatch when at rest.

I see what your saying looking at that cruise craft youtube.

I guess thats where the fabrication is going to be, in the metal work if you go down tha path.

Still with a blow torch, the right bending gear & a welder its a doable diy job.

But then its also a lot of work to & you do have to know what your doing.

Finding the right person/business it would take 1/4 of the time Im sure.

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Still with a blow torch, the right bending gear & a welder its a doable diy job.

As a welder I’m a fantastic grinder ! But I get by. But welding thin wall ss tube I can see lots of heartache. 

Mate don't try to to do it yourself if you have know idea. Been doing this stuff for 25 years. It's not cheap to get done properly the tools equipment and skills required will blow you out. That rail in the video would be an expensive add on mirror finished stainless good luck. Better off going a fabricated aluminium powder coated mount and modify your Bow rail. Still won't be cheap though, but the end result is what matters. 

Hi Dave, I have a MIG/TIG/Arc welder and Argon set up. I have previously welded ally plate, mild and stainless steel.  I get by, but I don't have the fine skill to weld thin wall tube .... I know my limitations !!! 

As you said, which ever way I'm going to go, I have to cut and rework that ss  Bow railing.

So if I have to get that done, my thought is I might as well just focus on the one craftsman to rework the bow rail into a platform. Doing that I'll also be able to reuse the existing front bow rail holes through the foredeck. I'd be ok to have that platform include a metal plate onto which I can bolt the leccy base so that it sits lower than the cruise craft set up. I think cruise craft focused too much on curved ss work, which has raised the whole set up too high.

image.png.793c515a68f9e2e46b0afc7d201494d0.png

Anyway, there's no rush.  Speaking to the local chandler, the next shipment of kota's and mg's wont be in Oz until mid March and I'm not on that waiting list .... still time to ponder and fine tune the design. 

Thanks and Cheers

Zoran