Point Plomer Black Marlin 30-12-20

Brendan Monks

I had literally just got home around 9:00pm driving back from Seal Rocks for a family holiday when I got a message from a mate I fish regularly with telling me up north was going off with inshore Black Marlin near Point Plomer…It didn’t take me much convincing (I haven’t successfully live baited a Marlin yet – Or caught a Black Marlin for that reason) and before I knew it I was packing to head to Port Macquarie, leaving home at 1:00am🥴😴

After a slow start to the morning, and only getting on the water around 7:00am we were a bit put off by the colour and temperature of the water coming out of the Macleay River. With only a short run up to Point Plomer to what we are used to, we quickly marked bait and pulled full strings of slimies with ease! 30 minutes into slow trolling the lives Slimy Mackerel a boat hooked up to a small Black Marlin and put on a show for us all 🥳

365488457_GomezPortMacquarie.thumb.jpg.e4abcb68885b84af1124b3f162414af6.jpg

133234621_DolphinsJumpingPointPlomer.jpg.c8d6f4595a280a72b9a40bac524c2a4d.jpg

Not long after that we had a squiggle appear by itself on the sounder and the rigger band pop soon after and the talica slowly tick away! Allowing the circle hook to do its magic, I slowly pushed the lever to strike while winding down. We both fully expected to see a little Black burst out of nowhere, but the fish stayed down, it had characteristics of a shark fight and sure enough we had hooked a small hammerhead! Not what we were here for! We quickly released him (And another line he was already hooked to) boatside and continued slow trolling North.

654770993_HammerheadSharkPointPlomer.jpg.b383a6dccd0f0f4ac7340fd1747d0f99.jpg

Not much happened for the next hour or two so we tried trolling in closer to land from the boats that had started fishing on top of each other, we decided to push up current from the large group of boats and were instantly rewarded with an explosion on the surface. The rubber band popped out and we both waited for the talica to scream off! The line went dead, and we released the line must have somehow become caught in the rigger clip! F*@K!! We unsuccessfully kept trolling the same area for the next hour or so certain that we had lost our only chance for the day.

With no more action, and the bait disappeared off the sounder we decided to move back South where we had first pulled our slimies. Halfway between the 2 large groups of boats we immediately marked more bait and sent out one livie, without even the chance to bridle another bait the rigger popped and a short scream of line off the talica. My mate quickly wound down and increased the drag…Yeewwww!!! A feisty little Black started dancing across the surface on its tail, after a quick fight and having him play up on the leader for a bit we had the little fella boatside for a tag and some happy snaps. Mission accomplished!

754379031_BlackMarlinJumping1.thumb.jpg.20c6fe1570c563c480446895d8b46712.jpg

2061071390_BlackMarlinJumping2.thumb.jpg.9b5910eff3ded28d71a34e0ecc948226.jpg

773899184_BlackMarlinJumping3.jpg.352f4d37e35c5b066df2007dd7360c44.jpg

862759949_MFBlackMarlin1.thumb.jpg.1b746c3dfe20d89f309b2f80969bc053.jpg

1693243086_BlackMarlinPointPlomer1.thumb.jpg.e4418ebad6905cb9fdb9f7e4e88fd6ed.jpg

By now the wind had picked up, but seeing as we had driven up from the Central Coast we decided to stick it out the whole day as it was forecasted to drop back to nothing in the afternoon. We literally moved back up to the mark we had found holding bait and quickly deployed the strip teaser and two bridled slimies again. We slowly motored around before the telltale squiggle of a fish had another lot of bait balled up…Exactly by textbook the slimie 50m back was quickly ripped out of the rigger and an angry little Black Marlin erupted 30m behind the back, jumping towards the boat! I quickly put the reel to strike and wound down as my mate punched the boat forward to come up tight. Yeewwww!! We had a few dramas with this one under the boat and requiring a bit of freespool as it came close to the motor before we had him under control.

1970140086_BlackMarlinPointPlomer3.thumb.jpg.64b889690fac73a19d0138afa8aa3a00.jpg

1305084182_BlackMarlinTopPointPlomer1.thumb.jpg.011f716de5357b3d4a05122ef8aa35f2.jpg

We quickly pushed back up North and by now there was only a few larger boats still fishing, the wind had picked up quite a lot but was by no means dangerous, just slightly uncomfortable in such a small boat. After quickly stocking up on baits again we had two out the back and were keen to get the numbers up! Only 25 minutes after landing the previous fish the rubber band once again popped from the rigger clip…This was very much the same type of bite as the shark we had caught at the start of the day and quickly called it for one after it went deep. After a little bit of boat work we had it coming rapidly to the surface, next second another Black Marlin started going crazy, bill whacking in every direction. This one played up, providing a lot of entertainment across the surface and completely clearing the water on a number of jumps.

455003529_3HookedUpPointPlomer.thumb.jpg.2949e5c31379de19df6a5d2c457d1cf3.jpg

1790021853_BlackMarlinJumpingPointPlomer.jpg.07f7cba1adf231da436de0a9e3743653.jpg

1348484168_BlackMarlinUpClose.thumb.jpg.0878906912ee003886e76d6536367eff.jpg

1720263795_BlackMarlinPointPlomer2.thumb.jpg.93892e7d6c90062c97c3e1235273d446.jpg

The rest of the day was very uneventful after a large current line moved in and the bite went dead, there was a lot of bait getting pushed up against the edge of it and we hooked an approx. 80/90cm Dolphin Fish before it jumped us off. As usual we marked a few more fish over the top of bait as light was fading…we gave it another 10 minutes before we called it for no luck.

1990076910_CurrentLinePointPlomer.thumb.jpg.3a616015e60976b94b32bc3a7a8cba46.jpg

A massive day on the water finally getting back to the ramp at 9:00pm after a nice run in on glass out conditions. We ended up going 6-3-3 on Black Marlin (All 1.3m short length, estimated only 20/25kg) – with 2 more hitting the baits but not hooking up, 1-1-1 on a Hammerhead Shark, and 1-1-0 on a lively Dolphin Fish.

635573433_SunsetPointPlomer.thumb.jpg.0e3cce603254a21d7e302722e7c60a26.jpg

No better way to finish the last days of 2020 and to finally land my first Black Marlin 🤙🍻

Tight lines, Brendo

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 15

What an awesome report and photos.  Congratulations on a very successful trip and top job reporting on it  Brendo  ! 🤙

I know of at least one raider that's going "to need an ocean of calamine lotion"  for his itch after reading this 🤣

Thanks for posting.

Cheers Zoran

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

What an awesome report and photos.  Congratulations on a very successful trip and top job reporting on it  Brendo  ! 🤙

I know of at least one raider that's going "to need an ocean of calamine lotion"  for his itch after reading this 🤣

Thanks for posting.

Cheers Zoran

Cheers, Thank you Zoran! 

Yes, I did tell Sam yesterday live baiting is a lot better hookup rate! 😁

1 minute ago, Brendan Monks said:

Yes, I did tell Sam yesterday live baiting is a lot better hookup rate! 😁

...ahh yes I recall .... but you didn't even hint at just how much better it was !

... BTW, please don't mention bait too much otherwise Yowie will get all excited.

Cheers Z

• Haha 3

Epic!  I'm still itching to get my first marlin.  I was trying to do that yesterday in the same areas you went by the sound of it.  Eventually got distracted by the kings and all thoughts of marlin went out the window.  Everybody around me is telling me the marlin are going off and I've seen a couple caught near me but I'm yet to get any interest from them.

20 minutes ago, TK01 said:

Epic!  I'm still itching to get my first marlin.  I was trying to do that yesterday in the same areas you went by the sound of it.  Eventually got distracted by the kings and all thoughts of marlin went out the window.  Everybody around me is telling me the marlin are going off and I've seen a couple caught near me but I'm yet to get any interest from them.

I wouldn't say no to metre plus Kings!! 😁👌

I'm no expert at all but shoot us a PM if you want, I may have a bit of info that will help 😉

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 1

Man you are killing us all with these magnificent posts @Brendan Monks

It is the best fish to catch I reckon. Nothing beats the excitement by everyone onboard. The ooooo's and wowowows each time it jumps is exhilarating. Then of course the look in its eye :) 

We used to enjoy it very much with other raiders at Port Stephens. 

Thanks for the great posts. Are you submitting any marlin into records section? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Man you are killing us all with these magnificent posts @Brendan Monks

Thanks Donna. I love this platform - And I guess it's something I will constantly come back to to see what we were catching at that time of year (So I try my best to write reports although I wasn't born with brains)! 😅🤞🤞

It is the best fish to catch I reckon. Nothing beats the excitement by everyone onboard. The ooooo's and wowowows each time it jumps is exhilarating. Then of course the look in its eye :) 

We used to enjoy it very much with other raiders at Port Stephens. 

Then you have to add the Yeeeewwws and the noise of the ratchet crackling, and yes of course that big eye that follows you everywhere!

Thanks for the great posts. Are you submitting any marlin into records section? 

I will put them up seeing there is none currently in these categories, although I don't expect them to stay standing for long! 👍😁

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Great report and epic photos. Your putting in the hours congratulations on the results can't wait to get a break from work to do the same now the water is warming up 

Thanks mate, Hours on the water definitely helps!! 😁

3 hours ago, New Signing said:

Little blacks certainly put on a show. Good to see you get a few numbers on the board

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Top report  sounds like a great day

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff mate! Fabulous report and congrats on the new records! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers, Thank you Guys!! 🤙

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Well Brendan. I read your report yesterday and almost passed out.

Its taken a full day to recover ! So now im back 🤣 

Mate, awesome stuff and a real dream experience for many, that would have been a shit tonne of fun !

😅🤣🤣🤣

Thank You! yeah, insane fun on a hectic bite for an hour or two. Yeewwww

• Like 1