HELP!! - Fungus Takeover??

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

I am appealing to those who know a thing or two about plants - specifically - indoor plants.

My beloved indoor plants (Bird of Paradise & Kentia Palm) have recently developed a type of fungus or mould? It is white, soft and fluffy and falls off with a touch by the hand or a wipe with the cloth.

My house is very well ventilated, the plants are located adjacent to a window which is open all day and only closed at night, to the left hand side but not visible in the image below is a 1.8m wide sliding door, again glass screen open all day with fly screen closed.

Does anyone know what to do with this ? I asked the guys at my local flower power but they were useless.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.f7521700eaca62482b7b26c84a80d519.png

image.thumb.png.9696dad8fb8cb8d456d377a9741d426d.png

Hey Sam,

Fill spray bottle with water and add 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (H2O2). Spray the leaves. You may also spray around the soil and let some soak into root system to kill mould spores there.  Google hydrogen peroxide and plants.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Sam,

Fill spray bottle with water and add 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (H2O2). Spray the leaves. You may also spray around the soil and let some soak into root system to kill mould spores there.  Google hydrogen peroxide and plants.

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Z

My wife who has indoor plants every where in the house suggests you go to a Nursery where there are owners who know plants and can advise you. Not Bunnings. Different Fugnus affects different plants. Fugnus antidotes are being updated all the time. Take a plant with you.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Hi GF

Looks like mealybug or scale, neither of which is a fungus but a little type of insect thingy that feeds by sucking sap from the plant.  Both are easily controlled with those RTU (ready to use) spray bottles from a nursery or bunnings.  Look for Eco-oil or Yates Spray Gun or something similar with a spray oil in it.  They are pretty safe and work by coating the insect with oil and they basically suffocate.  They will need to be applied a few times a week or so apart to kill all the little blighters.  Once they are all dead you can wipe them off your plant with some dampened cotton wool.

Hope this helps

2sheds

• Like 1

I agree with 2Sheds, it's scale. Pest Oil/ Eco Oil, but rather than spray, mix 30ml with 1/2 litre of water in a bucket, add 2 drops of dishwashing liquid and use a cloth to wipe the leaves clean. The dishwashing liquid helps emulsify the oil, but keep it to just a couple of drops.

Do it outside or use a drop sheet.

• Like 1