Johnson Outboard what year??

Alex75

Hi all, 

I'm going to look at a boat but the guy said there's no plate with a model number he just has a serial number, would anyone know what year this could be? 

I'm new and don't know a lot about outboard motor apart from YouTube and learning on here. 

What are the main things to check on the outboard tomorrow, I'm taking a compression tester and a spark tester (if needed just had one in the shed) what else should I check. Any help or tips would be great. 

I have a mate that knows about boats body but not so much about the motors. 

Thank you 

C1A90430-82D1-453E-B929-C89FD1E1A31C.jpeg

A59BE377-2F7A-4075-A0DA-3724B18447C7.jpeg

51E246D9-29D2-4C03-A794-9F994CD2BF0B.jpeg

With older motors like that .... one of your key considerations should be how readily available are spare parts and if you can still get them. 

If you have the make and serial number, you should be able to narrow down the year and parts availability. 

Search around on sites like this one:  https://www.crowleymarine.com/

It is US based but offers great exploded view diagrams and part numbers. Once you have a part number for say the annual consumables (thermostat, impeller, and for others such as pump housing, low pressure fuel pump etc) .. call some local parts dealers and see if they have any in stock or how long it would take them to get the part.

Things will break ... you will need to fix them.

No dealer parts => no wrecker parts => you'll be selling the motor for parts or use it as an anchor.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, motiondave said:

@Alex75

Not sure where you are located but Neptune Marine in Sydney would-be best bet for parts for these old things. I've bought from them before and had success. 

Thanks mate, are they the guys at Taren point? I live in Kogarah. 

35 minutes ago, Rebel said:

For a motor that old, would be around the 120's.

Yup. That’s a reasonable number to aim for.  Bear in mind there is variations between compression test kits, so if yours hasn’t been calibrated in a while you may read higher or lower, the important thing to look for upfront is that you have similar pressure across all cylinders. 
cheers Z 

• Thanks 1

That looks as to be very early 1980 era, corrosion will be your biggest demon compression 100 plus and all even. Check maintenance history  you might be lucky and get another few years happy boating. They were built tough and ready in the USA back then.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smobaby said:

That looks as to be very early 1980 era, corrosion will be your biggest demon compression 100 plus and all even. Check maintenance history  you might be lucky and get another few years happy boating. They were built tough and ready in the USA back then.

That one was probably built in Bankstown, by OMC, Canterbury Road.

12 hours ago, noelm said:

That one was probably built in Bankstown, by OMC, Canterbury Road.

Quite hard to find any history of that branch even though I know it existed, I used to drive past it all the time, for memory it was near Fairford Rd on Canterbury Rd.

The only reference to Australia I could find was this & it doesnt mention the location-

1960 -This was the year in which OMC began assembling Evinrude and Johnson outboards in Australia. Before 1960 there were stringent import restrictions on American products. There was a proliferation of Australian manufactured outboards of low horsepower and limited reliability. British made Seagulls and Anzanis were highly prized and some Swedish Pentas made their way into the country. With the arrival of OMC, Australia suddenly had a range of outboards with up to 75 horsepower output. The 70’s, 80’s and 90’s also saw the development of other multinational brands such as Yamaha, Mercury, Mariner, Suzuki and Honda.

Do you have anyone you could take with you who knows more about them to look the boat over?

I dont want to sound negative here(more realistic) but the older boats/motors can have small problems that then open a pandoras box.

A mate of mine bought a boat for $1000 thinking it was a good buy & now I think he is into it up to $5000 with multiple servicing & repair costs.

Personally I would rather spend $5K on a later model boat.

Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

Hi all thanks for the info.

I took up a guy who knows about boats and motors and we spent 90mins there the guy was great and let us do whatever we wanted. Compression was 125 on all cylinders, boat hull, floor and transom were solid. It was very well looked after motor started great and first kick. 
the only issue was the tilt trim he said it stopped working 2 months ago my mate thinks it’s the motor so might have to change that. 

just need to find out the model number of this outboard as we couldn’t find anything on the outboard. 

if anyone knows a way to find out please let me know. 
thanks 

Is there 2 wires coming from the tilt motor OR 3 wires, I have a spare hydraulic body for a 2 wire unit here if you want it but not the motor.

Frank

PS Take cowling off and check out the welsh plugs for a number.

Edited by frankS
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Is there 2 wires coming from the tilt motor OR 3 wires, I have a spare hydraulic body for a 2 wire unit here if you want it but not the motor.

Frank

PS Take cowling off and check out the welsh plugs for a number.

Hi Frank there’s 2 wires coming from the tilt motor. 

where on the motor could I find the welsh plugs, I couldn’t seem to find one 

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

@Alex75

I had a look at the photos, where I circled, there should be a plate on about this or the other side showing engine number. If thats not there, its been removed then at some stage. 

A59BE377-2F7A-4075-A0DA-3724B18447C7.thumb.jpeg.08ea5baaae50719d78708bcea68eb500.jpg

thanks i had a look but nothing the only number I found I’ll attach photos. 

and on the left hand side it had this 

A8921 4

19AB3CF2-377C-440B-87FB-9AC048ACBADE.jpeg

704EB74F-9EB6-468B-B08F-160BCB7F26C9.jpeg

4 hours ago, motiondave said:

Dunno. They look like standard Johnson spark plugs. Once you establish a model year, you will be step ahead.

Send photos of it to Neptune marine and follow up with a phone call, or if you are nearby, ask if you can bring the boat to him to have a look at the donk.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the help