Friday Kingfish - “Raider session”

Pickles

Fellow raider “Hugh” and new (today) “Chalky” hit the harbour for a kingie session and God was good - we hooked 11 and boated 7 and lost at least a dozen on the single hook rig.

I swapped over to a snooded two hook rig with a 7/0 Mustad hoodlum on the top (sliding) and 5/0 heavy duty owner treble on the bottom attached with uni knot. This setup did the damage and we didn’t lose a fish thereafter.

The bad news 😞is a big kingie ripped me and a Thunnus 4000 with 50lb Power pro and 80lb Fluoro on my favourite Terez rod - it when rocketing out of the rod holder like I’d hooked the Manly ferry at full tilt - this happened off Blue fish Point, so any Raiders that come across a big kingie with a white Terez rod and blue Thunnus 4000 - it would great to get it back 🙏🙏

Bait was live Yakkas and squid.

A great day with new raiders, who now hooked on kingie fishing.

BA0D3134-2CF7-4B3F-8C70-FC732FC762AA.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 12

You’re an absolute kingfish star Pickles !  I’ve let fish swim off with jewelry (lures) but thankfully I am yet to donate a full rig. I dare say blue fish point is going to get a dredging now. 

cheers Zoran 

• Haha 2

Great report and captures as usual another donation to the fishing gods. Hopefully the fish survives and recaptured with a bonus rod, have caught one previously but the missus has lost an expensive outfit also, that's fishing.

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

You’re an absolute kingfish star Pickles !  I’ve let fish swim off with jewelry (lures) but thankfully I am yet to donate a full rig. I dare say blue fish point is going to get a dredging now. 

cheers Zoran 

Mate, you have not lived, I have had a couple of rod's disappear into the deep attached to fish. I always feel sorry for the fish, it's one thing having to get rid of a hook or lure, but having a whole outfit to tow around must be hard on them. 🙂

On 1/15/2021 at 2:12 PM, Pickles said:

The bad news 😞is a big kingie ripped me and a Thunnus 4000 with 50lb Power pro and 80lb Fluoro on my favourite Terez rod - it when rocketing out of the rod holder like I’d hooked the Manly ferry at full tilt - this happened off Blue fish Point, so any Raiders that come across a big kingie with a white Terez rod and blue Thunnus 4000 - it would great to get it back 

Very unfortunate - a kingie almost took my sustain fi this weekend, saved it but got busted off. Great report- seems to me like a better season than previous ones.