Black Fish Bait.

Rebel

Fishing World have an article on black fish bait. They are saying when the green weed is not avaiable, you can use Green Frozen Peas. They are saying you must put the peas on the hook frozen. Interesting.

Cheers.

Hi Rebel just run your prawn net through some of that lake weed and collect some of those tiny shrimps. Put one or two on your Blackfish hook and fish as you would with weed. They even take them when they are "off" weed. They do take peas sometimes. Squirt worms are good also but fished on the bottom rather than under the float.

The disadvantage of using shrimps is that just about everything likes them, but they will take Blackfish most of the time and it's pretty easy to get plenty in any of the weed beds in just a couple of minutes.

• Like 5

There was a guy on a FB group (can't recall which one) who tried all sorts of "green stuff" to try and lure blackfish and came to the conclusion just about everything was useless.

Off the ocean rocks, its no secret that blackfish will take bread. In fact a couple of my old haunts I'd much prefer to use bread before cabbage or weed.

In estuaries, if I can't find good weed I use flies. Off the wand or drifted under a float on regular blackfish gear, they're pretty effective.

• Like 3

Bread is great bait off the rocks, I fish pretty regularly straight across the road from my place, and bread is my "go to" bait caught lots of Bream, Blackfish, Mullet and one silly Jewfish about 5KG, no idea what it was doing in there!  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, noelm said:

Bread is great bait off the rocks, I fish pretty regularly straight across the road from my place, and bread is my "go to" bait caught lots of Bream, Blackfish, Mullet and one silly Jewfish about 5KG, no idea what it was doing in there!  

No trevally? They made up about 50% of our bread catches and really smacked it off the surface.

Like your jew, my best/weirdest bread bycatch was a 9kg snapper.

• Like 2

I do get the odd Trevally, but not many (don't know why) here is a picture of my grandson with a Bream caught on bread, right in front of my house (we got 3 that day) easy place to fish, you could sit in your car if you really wanted to, all you need is high tide just on daylight or dark, a few slices of bread, small hook, no sinker or swivels, you only cast out about 3-5m

8EFEB5E3-6C8A-4ABE-BA5E-436E57CC04F9.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah, he loves fishing and crabbing, but fishing there is good, walk across the road, just a rod, a bucket and bread, tackle is two spare hooks in my pocket. I fly fish there a bit, though I am not that good at it, just use bread flies, and a bit of bread for burley, great fun.

• Like 1

when Blackfish are spawning around Cooks River from memory was Aug/Sep they would go nuts over Botany Bay Wrigglers and small green nippers (looked a bit like cross between pink nipper and prawn but claws were a lot smaller) and use to gather them at low tide around rocks/sand at low tide mark under the Airport bridge and behind the Fisho's Club near the boat ramp.

Jim

• Like 1