Bengello Beach in Broulee NSW is a good fishing area

KhalidMSyed

This was my first attempt at drone fishing and it was rewarded beyond my expectations. I used my Hubsan Zino to fly a Paternoster rig out to about 100m and got a double hookup. I was using defrosted Squid on the top hook and Pilchard on the bottom hook. This area is recommended for beach/drone fishing. See the full video report below with location information:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

Great report and well done. Those beaches around there can produce, but can also unfortunately hold a lot of sand crabs which can be a nuisance.

Oh okay. Thanks for letting me know. I actually wrapped a piece of cotton thread around the Pilchard to make sure that it did not fall off the hook easily. Maybe that offers some protection from sand crabs too? Or maybe there are fewer sand crabs 100m out?

The drone is a great idea.

All I got to figure out now is how much line I need to drop a couple of baits from kurnell cliff top onto browns mountain.

Blue eye from the shore!

Actually Khalid I think we will see more of this style of fishing, except in those areas where you need special permission to fly a drone. And I believe there are quite a lot of drone no-fly zones in populated urban coastal areas.

Keep these reports coming mate coz they are a really interesting twist on our great sport. Great vid and a great result as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used to fish there a lot when my in laws lived at Broulee.

I always used to fish near the northern end of Moruya  airport runway. There is a 4WD track running off the mainroad and you drive past the end of runway and fish the beach there. If you don't have a 4WD  just park on  George Bass Drive and walk in, it is only 5 - 10 mins.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, have been offline for a few days. Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Appreciated.

The drop mechanism of my drone is home made and very simple. I bought one of these kitchen wall hooks:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/permastik-white-kitchen-hooks-9-pack_p3950421

removed the metal hook from the plastic body and then used a cloth tape (easy to tear with hands) to affix the hook underneath the drone. When the drone is over the drop area, I just turn the drone around 180 degrees and fly backwards and the rig drops. Simple!

Bengello Beach delivers again. Caught this 52cm Flathead this time, was fishing right next to Bengello Creek. There is a couple of gutters there, both parallel to the shore and vertical to it (seen from above). This Flathead was caught in the gutter that is vertical to the shore. 

• Like 1