Yakkas at Roseville boat ramp?

anthman

Hi guys, gonna try the back to basics live bait technique. I've heard of yakkas being caught right at Roseville boat ramp - is this correct? @Pickles you come to mind!

If so, where abouts? Knowing yakkas like structure, I certainly don't want to get in the way of launching boats at the ramp, so do I just try to get amongst the closest moorings (you pass them as you head out from the ramp)? 

Having tried the Balmoral island a few times to no luck, I automatically default to a kingie donut! Any tips on location appreciated!

(Will be berleying hard with chicken pellets soaked in tuna oil in a berley cage hanging off the side, using handlines with 6lb/tiny hook/split shot sinker on pilchard and squid bait )

Livies in the harbour can be tricky when they are hit day after day-whilst i will always respect Bobs fishing abilities, in general i catch my livies with sabikis by sounding up schools and bombing them. The only time i use the bait and handline trick is in winter, however the key is often this-BE ON THE BAIT BEFORE SUNUP- Roseville probably contains yakkas and a whole bunch of other baitfish-i see them bubbling , i see them on the sounder but in general  , i catch them at The Fridge, The island , the Arti , the Centurian, the Dunbar, the other wreck off south head, The colours, Longie at Little Manly in front of the old gas works , they are everywhere-I cant be bothered sitting in one spot berleying most times when i could be fishing , its a rare day when i havent filled my tank inside 30 minutes using this approach.

44 minutes ago, motiondave said:

@anthman , actually off the boat pontoon ramp?

There's no fishing permitted off the ramp pontoon

Nah, nearby though via boat. Unless what I've heard is actually people catching yakka illegally from the ramp! 

Edited by anthman

It’s summer, they will be in big numbers at the spot you mentioned. Any warf/jetty in the harbour should be packed with them at this season (packed with yakkas and humans!) It should be most productive at night, try to fish near lit areas and burley up. Chicken works the best for me imo, doesn’t fall off the hook easily. I’d use no less than 10lb, reason being is where there yakkas there will be tailor. Occasional by-catch of tailor on 6lb line you’ll be retying hooks every 10 casts. Another option is you could use 6lb line with longshank hooks to counter this. Go weightless if you can no sinker. 

Edited by Mattymattmatt
Added more info

21 hours ago, motiondave said:

Only spots I'm aware of but not tried is the circled areas. Ask as a separate thread question or do a search on Middle Harbour here on the forum. 

IMG_20210117_090427.jpg

Thanks mate

20 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Did you actually read my post-i gave you 9 spots that have livies

Haha thanks PaddyT. I tried a quick search with you as author and keyword yakka - couldn't find that particular post/response, do you mind linking me? Would put it to good use. Also, my original question is aboit yakkas at Roseville boat ramp - just curious to find out the specific spot - perhaps its just anywhere near the ramp (all I can think of are the mornings to be out of the way of other boaters).

10 hours ago, Mattymattmatt said:

It’s summer, they will be in big numbers at the spot you mentioned. Any warf/jetty in the harbour should be packed with them at this season (packed with yakkas and humans!) It should be most productive at night, try to fish near lit areas and burley up. Chicken works the best for me imo, doesn’t fall off the hook easily. I’d use no less than 10lb, reason being is where there yakkas there will be tailor. Occasional by-catch of tailor on 6lb line you’ll be retying hooks every 10 casts. Another option is you could use 6lb line with longshank hooks to counter this. Go weightless if you can no sinker. 

Thanks mattymattmatt - had a go yesterday and managed a few - found that the small ones died a lot quicker than the too-big-to-use yakkas in the bait tank (built in, pump used/cycled water every 20min). Might need to cycle the water more often or maybe try chucking an aerator in there....

Edited by anthman

1 hour ago, anthman said:

Thanks mate

Haha thanks PaddyT. I tried a quick search with you as author and keyword yakka - couldn't find that particular post/response, do you mind linking me? Would put it to good use. Also, my original question is aboit yakkas at Roseville boat ramp - just curious to find out the specific spot - perhaps its just anywhere near the ramp (all I can think of are the mornings to be out of the way of other boaters).

On 1/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, PaddyT said:

Livies in the harbour can be tricky when they are hit day after day-whilst i will always respect Bobs fishing abilities, in general i catch my livies with sabikis by sounding up schools and bombing them. The only time i use the bait and handline trick is in winter, however the key is often this-BE ON THE BAIT BEFORE SUNUP- Roseville probably contains yakkas and a whole bunch of other baitfish-i see them bubbling , i see them on the sounder but in general  , i catch them at The Fridge, The island , the Arti , the Centurian, the Dunbar, the other wreck off south head, The colours, Longie at Little Manly in front of the old gas works , they are everywhere-I cant be bothered sitting in one spot berleying most times when i could be fishing , its a rare day when i havent filled my tank inside 30 minutes using this approach.

Great info from Paddy T - obviously an expert yakka fisho, follow his advice and you won’t go wrong.
The other areas worth a try include over the kelp at Balmoral  (Rocky Point) - also good for squid, and the steps at the south end of the wharf at Balmoral. Both these spots have very small Yakkas and also garfish at times.

off middle head and George’s corner also usually hold Yakkas, but also pesky Sweep and Mado