Large Outboard removal

garfield28

G'day Raiders,

I need to do some repairs to my transom and replace wash well washers as they leak and to do this I need to remove ,my outboard motor. It is a Mercury Saltwater 125 and I'd image very heavy, so just wondering how I'd go about taking it off and storing it on the same thing that can lift it while I make the repair. Is there something I can build or hire to do such a job? 

Thanks 

Geoff

have a look on youtube , there are quite a few vids-also maybe talk to your local outboard dealer and see if he will lift it off for you and store it for a few days while you do what you do-might be a cheaper and simpler way to do it.

• Like 1

By the time you hire a hoist , lift the motor off take hoist back ,fix transom, re-hire hoist you could almost buy a cheap 2nd hand hoist.

Much easier ( if you have a garage ) just use one of the beams and tie a rope to it and use truckies hitch to lift engine off, you only need to lift about 4 inches. The hardest part for you will be removing cables and steering from motor. just make some sort of rack to store motor while you are fixing transom. Even laying motor on floor won't hurt it ( prop closest to floor and G clamp on ground. Place block of wood under prop.

Frank

• Like 1

You need a lifting ring and an engine crane, I wouldn't bother renting a crane, they are cheap to buy and you will have it for future use or sell it and get most of your money back, much cheaper than renting.

If you have a beam in your garage you can use it with a chain block.

When you lift the engine you can lay it on the floor with some padding underneath so you don't scratch the paint.

If you were in Sydney I could lent you the lifting ring, if you come to Sydney you are welcome to borrow it.

In case you didn't realise the black one screws in to the flywheel and the silver hook in the black.

outboard-lifting-ring-screw-kit-for-mercury-mariner-yamaha-3377487_00.jpg?v=637440396982020131&imgclass=dealpageimage

Edited by wrxhoon1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

You need a lifting ring and an engine crane, I wouldn't bother renting a crane, they are cheap to buy and you will have it for future use or sell it and get most of your money back, much cheaper than renting.

If you have a beam in your garage you can use it with a chain block.

When you lift the engine you can lay it on the floor with some padding underneath so you don't scratch the paint.

If you were in Sydney I could lent you the lifting ring, if you come to Sydney you are welcome to borrow it.

In case you didn't realise the black one screws in to the flywheel and the silver hook in the black.

outboard-lifting-ring-screw-kit-for-mercury-mariner-yamaha-3377487_00.jpg?v=637440396982020131&imgclass=dealpageimage

Thanks for the info and the very kind offer wrxhoon1, but I think I will just buy one and just sell it when I am done with it... thanks again though mate. 

5 hours ago, frankS said:

By the time you hire a hoist , lift the motor off take hoist back ,fix transom, re-hire hoist you could almost buy a cheap 2nd hand hoist.

Much easier ( if you have a garage ) just use one of the beams and tie a rope to it and use truckies hitch to lift engine off, you only need to lift about 4 inches. The hardest part for you will be removing cables and steering from motor. just make some sort of rack to store motor while you are fixing transom. Even laying motor on floor won't hurt it ( prop closest to floor and G clamp on ground. Place block of wood under prop.

Frank

Thanks Frank... think I will just buy it rather than hiring mate. Hope you're well Frank