Speed of tilt/trim.

Fab1

Depends a bit -when the motor is trimmed right down it moves slowly till its about a third up, then it moves quickly for the last 2/3 to the top. Im guessing about 3 seconds for the first stage and about 4 -5 for the second-its a Yammie F100

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Depends a bit -when the motor is trimmed right down it moves slowly till its about a third up, then it moves quickly for the last 2/3 to the top. Im guessing about 3 seconds for the first stage and about 4 -5 for the second-its a Yammie F100

Cheers.Lets call it 10 seconds.How far do you think the motor/rams move?100mm?More?

Im in Brissie at the moment and the boat is in Syd , but the rams would be approx 150mm long im guessing so total travel would be part of that taking the ram housing into consideration-its a good guess depending on how accurate you want to be

13 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Im in Brissie at the moment and the boat is in Syd , but the rams would be approx 150mm long im guessing so total travel would be part of that taking the ram housing into consideration-its a good guess depending on how accurate you want to be

Thanks.I was thinking in that ball park.I can't remember how much they travel.

25 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Just for cross reference I checked my Merc 150 ... ram 170mm 

....new boat project .... I'm all ears !

Cheers Z

Thinking about putting trim on my boat using a linear actuator for trim tabs.Cheaper(Don't like cms) or standard trim and tilt with hydraulics for that matter.Just personal opinion as when they go wrong they are big $$$ to fix.And I like making stuff to suit me.

Edited by Fab1

There's two parts to a trim unit, the tilt range, and the trim range, the trim range is the first "slow" stage and is for adjusting boat trim when running, the tilt stage is much faster and only for raising the motor out of the water or trailering, the motor is not designed to be operated in the tilt stage. Depending on the model, there can be two sets of rams, two small short ones (trim) and the central long one (tilt) some are integrated into one, two stage ram/valve system.

Just now, noelm said:

There's two parts to a trim unit, the tilt range, and the trim range, the trim range is the first "slow" stage and is for adjusting boat trim when running, the tilt stage is much faster and only for raising the motor out of the water or trailering, the motor is not designed to be operated in the tilt stage. Depending on the model, there can be two sets of rams, two small short ones (trim) and the central long one (tilt) some are integrated into one, two stage ram/valve system.

I know mate.I had tilt/trim on old boats.This one being a 30 doesn't have it and you can't install a genuine Yamaha one as they simply don't exist. I'm not fond of hydraulic tilt/trim or the cms units.What i want to do is use a simpler linear actuator as a tilt and trim unit.

Thanks for the heads up.

15 hours ago, Fab1 said:

when they go wrong they are big $$$ to fix.And I like making stuff to suit me.

That possibly is correct, but the tilt trim on my Johnson 115 hp has lasted 20 years and there has never been a cents spent on it. 

• Like 1