New Australian Standards Lifejackets started from Jan 1 2021

mrsswordfisherman

https://thehub.nrma.com.au/lifestyle/new-australian-standards-lifejackets-started-january-1-2021?mid=social_hub_facebook&fbclid=IwAR2TuBPnR2SZxJZRDpDmHhbwXkkuQ91daiA1QtV2z43NekinUM1vgVRJvoM

There are a few incorrect statements in this NRMA publication

“Level 50: these replace the old Type 2 jackets. Because they don’t offer any head support, they’re recommended for smooth waters and are mainly good for kayaking and personal watercrafts like jet skis.

Keep in mind, lifejackets from Level 50 and below cannot be used as lifejackets on a boat because they don’t provide the appropriate level of support needed for harsher water conditions.”

RMS told me that Level 50 CAN be used in boats but only ok for enclosed waters. 

Check my post further in this thread for correct info from RMS

mrsswordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Donna, so essentially what this is saying from what I read is that if you have a jacket that only states "Type 1, 2, or 3 then it no longer meets the new Australian safety standard.

I presume this refers to all types of jackets whether inflatable or foam cell?

I just checked my 2 self inflatable jackets with a manifacture date of 11/2015 & 06/2016 & they both are level 150/150N with AS 4758.1 so they are ok.

I will have to check my other 2 older foam cell's I have but have a feeling when I got those they were bought as type 1 & type 2.

Cheers :thumbup: 

I have 4 jackets that comply with the new regulations and several that don't.

I wonder if it will be an offense to have the old style on board along with the newer ones to comply ?.

Flares are not to be onboard IF out of date, but it would not do any harm to have extra jackets on board as long as you have the new type per person.

Frank

I think they would not be allowed as you may inadvertently grab the wrong one. it’s part of the logic that was used regarding exflares.

I have 10 old life jackets to dispose. 

BF4D08B3-8258-45F6-ABD4-2ADF270D0ABC.thumb.jpeg.bfc17ea34f41ded9070c00158e67926d.jpeg

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 1

I dont have an issue with this but it would be nice if they(transport or waterways NSW) did this in conjunction with re implimenting the old4new program

As far as I am aware in NSW the old4new doesnt exist anymore from what I can see?

Even promote the proper disposal of the old jackets, Im guessing here but they may be able to be taken to your local council recycling centre??

Just saying 😉

Can someone pm me where i can buy 3 adult self inflating/self service jackets that meet requirements please at a good price in Sydney region or online?

Edited by Fab1

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I dont have an issue with this but it would be nice if they(transport or waterways NSW) did this in conjunction with re implimenting the old4new program

As far as I am aware in NSW the old4new doesnt exist anymore from what I can see?

Even promote the proper disposal of the old jackets, Im guessing here but they may be able to be taken to your local council recycling centre??

Just saying 😉

Maria had exactly the same initial reaction KC ...  but I reminded her that this did not come about overnight,  it was a 10yr moratorium that ended. So even if you had just bought a AS1512 jacket when AS4758 was announced, you'd have still got 10yrs out of it.... and we already had ours since 1996 ! 

Regarding disposal, I had a bit of a think and have come up with a great solution for mine ... I will not be disposing of mine. Lifjackets were designed to float ... so I'll strip all the buckles and straps, but leave the closed cell foam in the canvas covers and then repurpose them as additional hull buoyancy! 

I plan to semi-permanently mount them out of the way up high underneath the back transom above the battery boxes. I have 4 rod holders poking into that area, onto which I will securely fasten ss o-rings with hose clamps. Then I will string rope between the rod holders to create a suspended platform onto which I'll secure the expired lifejackets. Voila, additional   (8 x 87nm) 696 nm hull buoyancy should barrycuda get swamped!

Cheers Zoran

PS - I'f I had more, I'd be shoving them under the gunnels all around the boat !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Maria had exactly the same initial reaction KC ...  but I reminded her that this did not come about overnight,  it was a 10yr moratorium that ended. So even if you had just bought a AS1512 jacket when AS4758 was announced, you'd have still got 10yrs out of it.... and we already had ours since 1996 ! 

Regarding disposal, I had a bit of a think and have come up with a great solution for mine ... I will not be disposing of mine. Lifjackets were designed to float ... so I'll strip all the buckles and straps, but leave the closed cell foam in the canvas covers and then repurpose them as additional hull buoyancy! 

I plan to semi-permanently mount them out of the way up high underneath the back transom above the battery boxes. I have 4 rod holders poking into that area, onto which I will securely fasten ss o-rings with hose clamps. Then I will string rope between the rod holders to create a suspended platform onto which I'll secure the expired lifejackets. Voila, additional   (8 x 87nm) 696 nm hull buoyancy should barrycuda get swamped!

Cheers Zoran

PS - I'f I had more, I'd be shoving them under the gunnels all around the boat !

Repurposing, love it.

Those guys in PS could have used some extra bouyancy :whistling:

I was just trying to point it out as I see so much bad stuff around my place going into general waste bins & out on the street that just shouldnt be there.

Some people just dont give a rats!

• Like 1

One final comment on this topic from me ....

So being curious I compared the obsolete AS1512 PFD1 jacket (left) to a new compliant AS4758.1  L100 jacket (right), expecting little change ....

image.png.63d5b85282a6ad854aca40a3e173964a.png

Both provide >100nm float ... so identical floatation, BUT the older jacket had thicker floatation at the back, the newer standard had most of it at the font and two very thin panels at the back. With most of the buoyancy on the front, the newer jacket will definitely turn you faster and and be more likely to keep you floating  on your back with your face out of the water. 

Cheers Zoran

12 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

One final comment on this topic from me ....

So being curious I compared the obsolete AS1512 PFD1 jacket (left) to a new compliant AS4758.1  L100 jacket (right), expecting little change ....

image.png.63d5b85282a6ad854aca40a3e173964a.png

Both provide >100nm float ... so identical floatation, BUT the older jacket had thicker floatation at the back, the newer standard had most of it at the font and two very thin panels at the back. With most of the buoyancy on the front, the newer jacket will definitely turn you faster and and be more likely to keep you floating  on your back with your face out of the water. 

Cheers Zoran

The neck/collar also doesnt look as good imo for keeping you face up & you mouth out of the water at the right angle?

Next time I need to buy a jacket I think I am going the waist version as I always like to have one on & these are even less cumbersome & out of the way even though your still wearing one.

1683159102_PFDWaist1-600x600.jpg.eb3849fe65ee6b661a5a853b3f79d7de.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, kingie chaser said:

The neck/collar also doesnt look as good imo for keeping you face up & you mouth out of the water at the right angle?

Next time I need to buy a jacket I think I am going the waist version as I always like to have one on & these are even less cumbersome & out of the way even though your still wearing one.

1683159102_PFDWaist1-600x600.jpg.eb3849fe65ee6b661a5a853b3f79d7de.jpg

I like this idea but they all seem ti be 2 years self service not 5. 

1 hour ago, savit said:

Just noticed this post, and I am  confused in regards to the new requrement, does not it say : "according to Transport for NSW Centre for Maritime Safety, lifejackets made to the old standards will still be recognised for many years..."??

Screenshot_2021-01-31-21-07-59.jpg

can you link us to that hub page? What date was it written? 

There has been a decade long grace period for people to replace the old Standard ones and that ended Dec 31 2020. Jan 2021 was the changeover date.

"The new AS4758 standard, introduced way back in 2010, has changed the way that life jackets are rated. Under the old system the devices were marked with either “Type 1”, “Type 2” or “Type 3” depending on the level of flotation they provided."

"Under the new standard, life jackets are rated according to how much buoyancy they provide expressed in Newtons – Level 150, Level 100, Level 50, and Level 50S."

@savit it looks like they have not updated their page. I have queried this and will let you know the response. 

1 hour ago, savit said:

Just noticed this post, and I am  confused in regards to the new requrement, does not it say : "according to Transport for NSW Centre for Maritime Safety, lifejackets made to the old standards will still be recognised for many years..."??

Screenshot_2021-01-31-21-07-59.jpg

Not suprised that maybe some info does not correspond but again it does say make sure they comply with AS4758

30 minutes ago, Welster said:

I like this idea but they all seem ti be 2 years self service not 5. 

Not sure what you mean by that but self service is annual for jackets but that is as per manufacturer service instructions 

31 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

can you link us to that hub page? What date was it written? 

There has been a decade long grace period for people to replace the old Standard ones and that ended Dec 31 2020. Jan 2021 was the changeover date.

"The new AS4758 standard, introduced way back in 2010, has changed the way that life jackets are rated. Under the old system the devices were marked with either “Type 1”, “Type 2” or “Type 3” depending on the level of flotation they provided."

"Under the new standard, life jackets are rated according to how much buoyancy they provide expressed in Newtons – Level 150, Level 100, Level 50, and Level 50S."

I just followed the link that was provided in the beginning of this post.

https://thehub.nrma.com.au/lifestyle/new-australian-standards-lifejackets-started-january-1-2021?mid=social_hub_facebook&fbclid=IwAR2TuBPnR2SZxJZRDpDmHhbwXkkuQ91daiA1QtV2z43NekinUM1vgVRJvoM

Date of  article 15 of Jan., I believe this year.  Why would they say : New standards STARTED Jan 1 2021 if it were written in the past?!

7 hours ago, savit said:

I assume I can still use my PFD Type 1 "for many years" according to Maritime NSW.

Well its interesting that I cannot find a reference on any NSW gov webpage stating you cannot absolutely use type 1,2,3 lifejackets anymore but even in the legislation it does state that jackets shout be either level 50S or greater for enclosed waters or level 100 or greater for open waters.

However again it does state that both these levels of jackets need to be AS 4758

So in saying that I would assume that any jacket being type 1, 2, or 3 does not meet AS 4758 so they cant be used??

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sl-2016-0308#pt.6

As to the original article, well I give it little weight really seeing as its not from a governing body & actually states to check with your own states regulations.

Edited by kingie chaser

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Not sure what you mean by that but self service is annual for jackets but that is as per manufacturer service instructions 

Sorry I wasn't clear.    Some of the inflatable jackets call for a manufacturer service at the 5 year interval with annual services by the owner until then.   The belt type i have seen have the manufacturer service at 2 years.   I don’t know the cost of the manufacturer service but i think most people would just replace  them at that point.

Throwing them away every 2 years doesn’t appeal to me.