New Australian Standards Lifejackets started from Jan 1 2021

mrsswordfisherman

2 minutes ago, Welster said:

Sorry I wasn't clear.    Some of the inflatable jackets call for a manufacturer service at the 5 year interval with annual services by the owner until then.   The belt type i have seen have the manufacturer service at 2 years.   I don’t know the cost of the manufacturer service but i think most people would just replace  them at that point.

Throwing them away every 2 years doesn’t appeal to me. 

Ah ok, I've only ever owned Marlin's & according to them you can self service for the life of the jacket as long as its for recreational use, most of the time you just need to replace the green firing indicator as it breakes when you test the firing mechanism.

Still if changing to another brand their servicing schedule whether self or manifacturer needs to be looked at for sure so would need to look at those waist versions.

• Thanks 1

Well well well ...  when I first read Donna's post January 18, I went to this website and checked 

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/lifejackets-equipment/approved.html

And the site categorically said, AS1512 was superseded, and you had to move to AS4758. 

I have gone back into that site... AND THEY HAVE CHANGED THE WORDING to allow the old standard to be recognised...

The tag at bottom of page states page was update January 21 !!

image.png.2d276334928c98d2cea673b09d2e430a.png

image.png.71a57f0b69fea36523465e23ae6b1523.png

I'm going to be sending a sharp complaint to RMS ....

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, savit said:

Here is another related link confirming continuing  recognition of the  old AS 1512  lifejacket standards in NSW.

https://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/lifejackets/lifejacket-law/index.html

Yes I am sure they have gone and communicated back to NRMA etc, but there are lots of articles on the web that have not been updated that still refer to the end of the moratorium.

I just got off the phone with RMS Maritime ..... I was advised to lodge a formal written complaint on their website as this backflip in rules should not have happened without prior communication.  I'm $400 out of pocket... so I am chasing answers and accountability.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/feedback-form.html

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Yes I am sure they have gone and communicated back to NRMA etc, but there are lots of articles on the web that have not been updated that still refer to the end of the moratorium.

I just got off the phone with RMS Maritime ..... I was advised to lodge a formal written complaint on their website as this backflip in rules should not have happened without prior communication.  I'm $400 out of pocket... so I am chasing answers and accountability.

Cheers Zoran

You won't need life jackets for a while mate.Don't hold your breath getting reimbursed in any way by them clowns.

I could have kept mine and saved $170 I didn't need to spend also as plenty of other people would be in the same boat.I've always wanted manual inflate jackets so I'm not fussed as I'm glad i have them now.

Good luck mate.

Intrested to hear the outcome.

Edited by Fab1

24 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Well well well ...  when I first read Donna's post January 18, I went to this website and checked 

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/lifejackets-equipment/approved.html

And the site categorically said, AS1512 was superseded, and you had to move to AS4758. 

I have gone back into that site... AND THEY HAVE CHANGED THE WORDING to allow the old standard to be recognised...

The tag at bottom of page states page was update January 21 !!

image.png.2d276334928c98d2cea673b09d2e430a.png

image.png.71a57f0b69fea36523465e23ae6b1523.png

I'm going to be sending a sharp complaint to RMS ....

Cheers Zoran

Thats BS!

7 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Zoran

Hang on guys. I posted that I had sent an official query re this yesterday. 

Zoran if you are chasing a refund of money you will have buckleys I reckon. I will post up what their response is for members as soon as I get one. 

I will also ask an RMS officer I know.

Donna

• Thanks 1

I spoke with the Education Officer from RMS today.

There has been miscommunication across Facebook groups and other bodies. 

The January 1st 2021 date was really meant for retailers who are not allowed to sell the old Australian Standard lifejackets. 

If you still have lifejackets with old Standard they will still be recognised by police and Maritime Officers. This is in NSW and other states may vary particularly QLD. 

Here is a link to the relevant section on the Maritime website

This is the relevant paragraph: 

Recognition of older lifejacket standards
EN 399-1993 Series has been replaced by the ISO 12402-2006 Series.

The following lifejacket standards have been superseded. Lifejackets carrying these standards will continue to be recognised as acceptable where the lifejacket existed, and was in use, prior to the commencement of the Marine Safety Regulation 2016 (7 October 2016).
AS 1512-1996, Personal flotation devices – Type 1 (and any previous version of that standard)
AS 2260-1996, Personal flotation devices – Type 3 (and any previous version of that standard)
AS 1499-1996, Personal flotation devices – Type 2 (and any previous version of that standard)

Lifejackets carrying the standard UL 1180 will continue to be recognised as acceptable where the lifejacket existed, and was in use, prior to the commencement of the Marine Safety Regulation 2016 (7 October 2016

Any further RMS bulletins/media releases I receive I will post as usual.

mrsswordie

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I spoke with the Education Officer from RMS today.

There has been miscommunication across Facebook groups and other bodies. 

The January 1st 2021 date was really meant for retailers who are not allowed to sell the old Australian Standard lifejackets. 

If you still have lifejackets with old Standard they will still be recognised by police and Maritime Officers. This is in NSW and other states may vary particularly QLD. 

Here is a link to the relevant section on the Maritime website

This is the relevant paragraph: 

Recognition of older lifejacket standards
EN 399-1993 Series has been replaced by the ISO 12402-2006 Series.

The following lifejacket standards have been superseded. Lifejackets carrying these standards will continue to be recognised as acceptable where the lifejacket existed, and was in use, prior to the commencement of the Marine Safety Regulation 2016 (7 October 2016).
AS 1512-1996, Personal flotation devices – Type 1 (and any previous version of that standard)
AS 2260-1996, Personal flotation devices – Type 3 (and any previous version of that standard)
AS 1499-1996, Personal flotation devices – Type 2 (and any previous version of that standard)

Lifejackets carrying the standard UL 1180 will continue to be recognised as acceptable where the lifejacket existed, and was in use, prior to the commencement of the Marine Safety Regulation 2016 (7 October 2016

Any further RMS bulletins/media releases I receive I will post as usual.

mrsswordie

That still doesn't excuse that due to their wording many people went out to spend hard earned money on life jackets that they simply didn't need.Myself included.

They should have to reimburse those people that bought life jackets that due to their incompetence simply didn't need.We both know that isn't going to happen in a hurry.

I'm sure others would agree.

In my case they are lucky I wanted self inflating jackets anyway as I would get my money worth back one way or another.

Here is the answer to my query

Friday 5 Feb 2021

Hi Donna,

Thanks for getting in touch.

On the Maritime lifejacket page, it mentions that old standard lifejackets can continue to be used, provided they were made and in use before the Marine Safety Regulation came into effect – 7 October 2016.

If your lifejacket was made and has been in use before then, it is still eligible to be used. Otherwise, it should be replaced irrespective of its condition.

We advise, that your safety equipment meet the latest standards, which were updated with safety critical buoyancy factors in mind when classifying the lifejackets.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Centre for Maritime Safety

Transport for NSW